QFE vs. QNH

PE_Tigar

Tyger,

I just printed out your post to use as reference material.

Thank you for the information and have a great day.

CS

CheckSix

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe G3, i7-2700k@4.5GHz, EVGA Classified GTX590 3GB, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Prolimatech Armageddon CPU Cooler, Intel 510 SSD 120GB, Western Digital 750GB, Silverstone 1000W Gold, CoolerMaster HAF X case, CH Fighterstick, CH ProThrottle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro

It´s the other way around.

" Speedbird 315 descend to and maintain 3000´ inbound PG transition level 50 qnh 1015 expect NDB app rwy 35" (nevermind the values.)

Transition altitude is usually set by the charts :thumbup:

In the UK (although not a full time pilot..) I have never heard that transition level call, it has just been..

"Descend Flight Level 45"

(or whatever), you keep your Altimeter on 1013. Then at some point...

"Descend Altitude 2700, QNH 999mb"

So it is the instruction to descend (or climb) to either a FL or to an Altitude that is your que to change your altimeter setting.

The transition level itself varies by airspace classification and country, For example I seem to remember Bristol is 6000feet whilst outside controlled airspace it is 3000feet.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

"Descend and maintain" is a yankism. They'll have to change eventually, just as with line up behind...

We had QNH 1046 here yesterday. Cold day, alone, modest amount of fuel, sea level... turned the old spam can into quite a rocket! Flaps 10 takeoff after a T&G and the climb angle made me feel like I was in something quite a bit more potent than a C172! Density altitude of -6000 feet or so. :thumbup: