DCS: P-51D Mustang Coming in 2012

Wags

I like that people seem to forget that the first DCS aircraft was a helicopter. A -russian-helicopter. I'd love to see what the comments would be if Warthog had been first and BlackShark second.

I'm very very excited by the prospect of flying a single engine propeller aircraft that has that much power and capabilities. It will certainly be an enlighting experience. I still remember the heated discussions around how the coaxial rotor of the Kamov generated a small yaw while moving forward, this one will be fascinating. I think part of the problem is that the A-10 is too easy to fly, that maybe people believe little challenge will come from that department.

I do have, however, a little concern about how ED-TFC manages the transition to this new (super-welcome) market. WW II guys will demand a new and much bigger theater for sure, and so far ED has been great doing all development in house but not so great when working with 3rd parties to expand the product. I do hope the Nevada experience encourages them to find an efficient method to do so, which can only benefit everyone.

I have two personal wishes for this new series: Pacific War with carrier ops, and a flyable DCS:B-17.

Go ED!

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder to take note of #4 & #5 from Wags post in the "Future Projects Road Map" :doh:

5- The next US fixed wing jet DCS aircraft is being worked on in parallel

yes, yes, yes :D the No5... who knows what that will be :dunno:

I want to be :surprise: in a good way :bounce:so I can go :phone: all my friends how :worthy: ED is ... sorry, was that too many icons? :suspect:

No longer active in DCS...

Whatever is going on here, there is nothing to hassle about. If someone does not want to buy the p-51, like me, he won´t buy.

I for myself had rather preferred a jet of the "classic era", like the Phantom or the Mig21. One could even design combat missions in a fictive 60s scenario using the DCS-engine.

But piston-driven combat simulation? We already had it all, with better graphics than DCS. The strength of DCS is the depth of modern aerial warfare simulation with in-depht modeling of avionics and weapon systems, please stick to it.

I´ll wait for the next fixed wing modern aircraft.

Hi, when I have heard DCS: Legends, I too expected MiG-21 or F-4 Phantom variant.

I believe P-51D is being developed and thrown into DCS current world only because some rich guy from TFC requested it, not that DCS community wished to have it developed and pay for it ;)

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I believe P-51D is being developed and thrown into DCS current world only because some rich guy from TFC requested it, not that DCS community wished to have it developed and pay for it ;)

More likely that nobody to date has managed to develop it properly.

As for the DCS Community, I dare say that the support to date as witnessed in this very thread conclusively supports the development, never mind the additional support which might be garnered from other communities. Don't skew the facts to accord with your view - maintain objectivity when espousing the views of others ;)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It's been a long time since I last got here.. so FC3, Nevada map, Ground support mod, another US Fixed Wing (Hope it's an F-15 or perhaps F/A-18 ) and now a P-51 Mustang?

...I'll just take that as a positive sign about ED expanding.. ^^;

Although I'll say Warbirds aren't really my cup of tea..

I'll continue to wait for that next DCS Modern Fixed Wing sim ^^

Anyway, ED seems to be doing well these days ^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whatever is going on here, there is nothing to hassle about. If someone does not want to buy the p-51, like me, he won´t buy.

I for myself had rather preferred a jet of the "classic era", like the Phantom or the Mig21. One could even design combat missions in a fictive 60s scenario using the DCS-engine.

But piston-driven combat simulation? We already had it all, with better graphics than DCS. The strength of DCS is the depth of modern aerial warfare simulation with in-depht modeling of avionics and weapon systems, please stick to it.

I´ll wait for the next fixed wing modern aircraft.

+1

And we can still support ED by buying 2x A10C/BS2/CombArms and without buying the "wrong" product :thumbup:

I am disappointed. The hopes were for at least something that would integrate into the era of Ka-50 and A10C

I do have belief in DCS and that they will deliver a solid product but personally I am not likely to buy yet another WW2 war-bird sim.

As a business model, it may be a healthy move to avoid stagnation, but were the P-51D really in any community wish-list?!

I am disappointed. The hopes were for at least something that would integrate into the era of Ka-50 and A10C

Fear not! All you need is to read!

The development of the P-51D and other Flying Legends series aircraft definitely does not preclude the continued development of modern aircraft.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Ok now there are only 2 lacks:

1) A teaser/trailer from Glowing AMRAAM

2) A sub-forum for DCS P-51D Mustang because here, it becomes really hard to read.

For the rest, just wait and see.

Keep going ED.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I do have belief in DCS and that they will deliver a solid product but personally I am not likely to buy yet another WW2 war-bird sim.

As a business model, it may be a healthy move to avoid stagnation, but were the P-51D really in any community wish-list?!

+1

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

I'm yet to properly play DCS Warthog (just got it) so I'm not going to lie, you've got a point, but I'm unsure how easy it is to get a lock on something for Aim-9's, but with the P51 dancing all over you/chasing your tail, I can't imagine it'd be the easiest thing to do :pilotfly:

2-Ship Mutual Support! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

2-Ship Mutual Support! ;)

An understanding of engaged/supporting fighter contracts, a wingman who know's what he's doing and reasonable BFM skills is all you need.

Hell, with the above you'd quite happily take down most of the pilots on the public servers flying the FC3 jets in WVR combat, in either the A-10 or P-51.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

A lot of fuss around here about the "why" of this aircraft, when the reason is plainly stated in the original press release:

"While the P-51D started as an internal technology demonstration, it has evolved into an independent product"

The model was develop internally, and now they're packaging something they already have and selling it to consumers.

I don't think this "internal tech demo" being released publicly means some sea change in DCS's future products, they're just going to make paper off something they have lying around.

Though I've purchased BS and A10 I won't purchase the P-51, will rather the wait for the next non-WW2 era release.

Those talking about servers that intermingle this "anomaly" in the DCS catalog with the A10 or the BS, well there is no hope for you.

....something something something suggesting that the P-51 might be able to mix with the modern DCS types (I misplaced the quote on my iPad).

As a fan of DCS this breaks my heart to hear. Enjoy the P-51! I certainly will try to. But the mere suggestion of adding it to the modern battlefield makes a mockery of all that DSC has meant. THIS is what i meant when I said that I hope the products are separate--they should be online incompatable. REMEMBER when I suggested a common laser code between the Ka50 and the WH? I got my arse handed to me by some beta testers. EVEN THAT little suggestion--to sacrifice a teeny bit of reality for playability--bespoiled the marriage to realism that was the backbone of DCS. But mixing the P-51 in is COOL, fun, creative, etc!?

cool, but not relative

remember DCS lives in a world of Capitalism. It survives by making a buck. I'm no fan of this release of the Mustang into the electronic battlefield, but I understand that if it will sell, the company makes a few dollars with a product already lying on a hard drive somewhere. In my opinion, this Mustang might better served in Microsoft's FSX for all the relativity it has to why people buy DCS products. I'm sure it's a great flying model, but outside of making a buck, maybe an F86 Sabre or a MiG 15 would have been more appropriate as a Flying Legend in this arena.

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

^ Im sure P-51 will drop flares when he see the two Aim-9 chasing him. :music_whistling:

What are they going to lock on to without a kerosine torch on the back end? In all seriousness I do look forward to the aircraft, but hope that it's the first in a serious of aircraft for a similar time frame so that we can setup reasonable scenarios.

Not gonna buy it, sorry.

If I wanted a high-fidelity recreation of a turboprop aircraft I'd rather have the Skyraider (the predecessor of the A-10 and a beast of a plane), or if we want something modern, the Beechcraft AT-6B (the Texan II) would be a great addition.

Or if we really want to add a WW2-era plane in a modern air combat simulator, we could have gone with something less boring than the P-51, like the P-38 Lightning! You can also kinda pretend it's a Bronco, although that's stretching it quite a bit.