DCS: P-51D Mustang Coming in 2012

Wags

Originally Posted by shamandgg

I believe P-51D is being developed and thrown into DCS current world only because some rich guy from TFC requested it, not that DCS community wished to have it developed and pay for it

& I thought I was paranoid about the power of the 1 % :-)

Seriously though, even if that had been the case, where would the problem have been ?

In your imagination someone paid to have the work done - helping keep E.D. alive, and then E.D. had the gall to make this now available aircraft available to the public ? Shame on them !!!

Simillarly - shame on the USAF for paying E.D. to do an A-10C trainer, and shame on E.D. for releasing it to the public !!!

Changing the subject slightly, I think people get a feeling that by coming to these forums they're investing time in DCS & because of this investment are owed something by E.D., and that because of this, it's unfair if the next aircraft released is no tthe one they're after.

The reality is the forums are a service (gift) provided to the readers and posters not from the posters and readers. Maybe a somewhat calculated gift - there is an expected return - and commercially it makes some sense to listen to the community that buys your product, but when your community says that they don't want you to open up your customer base to newcomers, they've exceeded the area that's any of their business.

That said - No-one will make anyone buy the P-51D, no-one will make anyone fly on a server that has P-51D flying on it. Anyone will be free to host a server that bans anyone that rumour has it has even looked at screenshots of the P-51D (like drone attacks, the threshold for proof can be whereever the person making the decision wants it to be).

But people that pass it bye will miss out on a great plane to fly, and it is possible to create missions that credibly combine all 3 aircraft in the DCS range. Not ones that have occured yet, but the 'universe' of credible scenarios is not defined by those that have actually happened (as the range of credible weather next month is informed by, but not limited to, the weather that happened in that month in previous years).

Will the West be at war with Iran this year ? It's never happened before - does that mean it could never happen ?

Summarising a wandering rant, the power to experience DCS the way you want to in the future is still in your hands, you just have a greater range of possibilities opening up to you with the upcoming release of the P-51D.

You can chose to take up those opportunities or not - your choice.

No need for strokes, fits, or angry rants, just new opportunities.

Cheers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is no one forming The Virtual Horsemen Aerobatic Team?

They've been around for over 2 years in IL2, no doubt moving to DCS when it's released. ;)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Actually, if ED released a modern trainer, I think the virtual squadrons as well as the casual player would go nucking futs over it. Although, it would necessitate the need for a 2-crew pit. I don't think there would be a lot of complaining.

That, of course, is another topic.

They've been around for over 2 years in IL2, no doubt moving to DCS when it's released. ;)

Ah nice, I wasn't aware of that.

I recently watched a special where they traveled to the UK (ironically there were comments from a few folks from TFC). Good stuff.

I too hope they make the transition. Although (from what I gather) it'll be a bit tough to relearn the aircraft, I'm sure it'll be quite rewarding for both pilot & viewer.

I think people get a feeling that by coming to these forums they're investing time in DCS & because of this investment are owed something by E.D., and that because of this, it's unfair if the next aircraft released is no tthe one they're after.

No.

People chose to become part of a community, thats based around a company that produces modern air combat simulations. After playing Flanker and LO and FC for years, they experience the announcement of DCS (which sounded amazing back in the days: "Platform for various types of military vehicles/aircraft, to form a large high fidelity battlefield"). At present day, things have developed slightly different than they had expected in the past. That leads to a certain degree of frustration, which is totally legitime in my eyes. At least because there is no other product you could switch to, which better fits your needs/wishes.

The real problem is how some folks express their frustration, when they start posting offensive stuff.

But I somehow understand where they come from and what makes them disappointed.

They simply don't understand, that the P-51D is NOT the reason why it takes ED way longer to release a module than it was initially planned, or that the ME still lacks a lot of features, that the community modded many years ago already.

So while some need to learn to express themselves in a mature way, some need to understand why things happen as they do, and some need to stop praising every decission by ED like they are absolutely infallible.

My 2cent...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

You all should visit on a regular basis the Russians forums (I do it with a translator) - this is far more enlightening than reading these short-minded comments some here are doing , that are based on false assumption and speculation.

No doubt a lot of us are posting based on assumptions but this discussion only gets as good as the facts provided. -So please share?

By the way, maybe if the moderators created the DCS: P-51D Mustang subforum, there would not be so many reposters claiming that it is a bad decision, why they make it, will there be more content, etc, etc, because they will find the previous posters more easily by simply looking at the thread names and thus we will avoid so much reposting.

I have nowhere else to post all my ideas about the DCSM than here, which would add to the mess, which is why I wait.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

By the way, maybe if the moderators created the DCS: P-51D Mustang subforum, there would not be so many reposters claiming that it is a bad decision, why they make it, will there be more content, etc, etc, because they will find the previous posters more easily by simply looking at the thread names and thus we will avoid so much reposting.

I have nowhere else to post all my ideas about the DCSM than here, which would add to the mess, which is why I wait.

I'm sure you understand that altering the forum isn't just something that gets done haphazardly. It's already a big forum with a lot of sections, and there's considerations to be made whenever something is added. (For example, more english sections makes it inconvenient for the russians.) But rest assured that mods and the community managers are definitely thinking about the forum's layout. :)

If you have specific ideas, feel free to PM them to me and I'll see if they make sense and bring them forward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hi all,

Really new to the DCS platform and my interest was really sparked by the announcement of the P-51D coming out later this year. Of course I know of ED/DCS's excellent reputation in creating faithful to the original flight models of the aircraft they build, but could I ask some of you 'old hands' out there for a quick summary what the platform enables it's users to do?

So, for example:

- do you have Multiplayer?

- if so, how many players may play on one server?

- is the host free in setting up conditions, location, weather, etc?

- is there a quick/full mission generator?

- AI? if yes, how good are they?

- PvE missions?

- anything else that stands out versus other platforms (e.g. IL2)?

Sorry if all of these are really obvious to you, but it's not for me.

Thanks in advance!

:thumbup:

MAC

Thanks Eagle Dynamic and the Fighter Collection. I'm trully looking forward for this add-on. I'm sure you will surprise us on how faithful you will be on this bird flight characteristic. Unlike FSX & IL2...:thumbup:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-51_Mustang it got retired from military service in 1984… I’m wondering how come so late? I always thought it got retired much earlier than this…

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

- do you have Multiplayer? Yes

- if so, how many players may play on one server? Depends on your internet connection

- is the host free in setting up conditions, location, weather, etc? The host is free to load any mission he has created controlling all of these variables

- is there a quick/full mission generator? Quick Mission generator at present, creates a full Red/Blue Air and ground engagement

- AI? if yes, how good are they? AI is a mixture of good and bad - IMO mostly good.

- PvE missions? Unsure what this is?? Coop missions?

- anything else that stands out versus other platforms (e.g. IL2)? I'll leave this to others.

:thumbup:

MAC

Nate

I'll be buying it :) Looking forward to it.

Not going to read all 87 pages of this thread but a few things I see people crying about:

1) This was announced long ago

2) Being worked on in parallel with other projects so it's not taking away from your fast mover.

3) TFC and ED are very close this was only a matter of time.

4) Just because it's compatible with ther other DCS series doesnt mean you have to use it in real world scenarios. Many FSX users will want it, many WWII buffs will want it, many people whole like aerobatic stunt flying will want it.

Looks like a win to me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit