Damper and friction effects in force feedback for Black Shark

average_pilot

Being a complete Muppet, would this work to edit force feedback effects using a Sidewinder FFB in Il-2 1946 etc? If so there is a BIG demand for it. Also I couldnt see a Read Me for it, any guidance on how to use, where to instal?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a complete Muppet, would this work to edit force feedback effects using a Sidewinder FFB in Il-2 1946 etc? If so there is a BIG demand for it. Also I couldnt see a Read Me for it, any guidance on how to use, where to instal?
FFB effects in Il-2 would require a new program. It would be cool to do it.

simFFB doesn't need to be installed. You just copy it to the folder of your convenience and run it.

@average pilot,

I love your program. It works great for the FFB2 in some of the older sims that don't support FFB, esp. since there's no other auto-centering utility for Windows7.

One question, though: is it possible to save your settings to a datafile or load a certain configuration (i.e. progressive trim or force trim with a specific button) using command line parameters?

Thanks,

When you close the program it saves the configuration in a file and loads it in the next run if he finds it at the working directory. If that is not happening you should download last version.

Maybe it's true that I should add a readme, but it's such an effort for me. I wonder how many mistakes I will introduce in the text.

Edited by average_pilot

• 2 weeks later...

I'll proofread it for you!

BTW -- since the latest update, I've been seeing strange behavior with my Sidewinder 2. For instance, the stick will sometimes appear to have the FFB disabled upon entering a mission. I have to pause simulation and ALT TAB back out to desktop and load simFFB (it appears ability to ALT TAB has been re-introduced).

I'll proofread it for you!

BTW -- since the latest update, I've been seeing strange behavior with my Sidewinder 2. For instance, the stick will sometimes appear to have the FFB disabled upon entering a mission. I have to pause simulation and ALT TAB back out to desktop and load simFFB (it appears ability to ALT TAB has been re-introduced).

Do you mean that simffb is already running when you load the mission? It only works if it's run after the mission has finished loading, so you have to alt-tab anyway, or launch it with programs like glovepie (I do that).

Also, I made some changes in the last version, so there is a chance I broke something. Now I'm rewriting it heavily, so the chances of breaking something will be even greater. :music_whistling:

• Like 1

At first, sir Average_pilot, i really appreciate your work on SimFFB, I'm using it everytime I sit in a DCS:Helo :thumbup:

...but I must ask: Is there any way to get rid of that zero-force sloppiness(?) around the center position of the G940 stick? I tried the FFB effect in Grid2 and it has always some force all the way from left to right position...

Edited by Suchacz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have very much enjoyed simffb with the Huey. I've just installed DCSW on a second, more powerful Win8 PC, and I have some strange behavior to report. In particular, when I start a mission, fly for a few minutes to ensure FFB and force-trim are working, hit Esc to halt the mission, and then Alt-Tab out to start up simffb, I get two different results when I "resume" the mission. (I start simffb, and then click Init DirectInput before heading back into DCSW.)

On my Win7 machine, everything works as expected. Simffb clearly controls my MS FFB2 and the force trim ("Pilot Trimmer" in DCSW UH-1H controls) is successfully set to "3" on the joystick. (And keyboard T is set and continues to work as well.)

On my Win8 machine, I go into the same mission and successfully start flying with FFB and force-trim. I then Alt-Tab out, and start simffb. But when I go back into the mission, neither the "3" button nor the T key resets the trim for the ffb2. (It does still trim the rudder pedal!)

BTW, I also have the Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, and do "enable rudder trimming" in UH-1H, but not central position trimmer mode. My DCSW version is 1.2.5.16508. My simffb.exe is dated 6/6/2013 1:47 am. I have run DCSW Repair on the Win 8 installation, and it doesn't help.

Any suggestions for further follow-up would be much appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using SimFFB with Helios? Today, I tried setting up Helios on my second monitor, and whenever I had it running, SimFFB would not successfully take control of my G940. It would work fine after initiating, as I usually test it before heading back into DCS, but upon clicking on the DCS icon on the task bar, the stick would revert back to DCS control (ie, no reduction in stick forces upon pressing the trim release). This was the case on both the Ka-50, and the Huey.

Edit: Ok, now that I switched to windowed mode, this went away.

Edited by heloguy

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

• 3 weeks later...
Try this version and let me know how it goes. First, try it without launching DCS.

If it doesn't work as expected, make a video using simffb so I can understand the problem.

Appreciated very much! I suffered the lost-FFB problem after Alt-tab back desktop during running DCS. Your programs solved it perfectly!

Thanks very very much mates!!:thumbup::pilotfly:

Do you mean that simffb is already running when you load the mission? It only works if it's run after the mission has finished loading, so you have to alt-tab anyway, or launch it with programs like glovepie (I do that).

Also, I made some changes in the last version, so there is a chance I broke something. Now I'm rewriting it heavily, so the chances of breaking something will be even greater. :music_whistling:

Oh man, no wonder I never seem to get consistent settings. I thought you just had to launch DCS first -- and then started simFFB -- and then "launch" a mission. You've clearly stated though, that I need to launch simFFB after the mission has loaded, and not before, correct? That is, you don't start simFFB until you're actually in the game world?

It seems clear that you are saying this -- but I just wanted to confirm since you've hinted at English not being your native language --

My proof-reading offer is still good of course (for a Readme)!

At first, sir Average_pilot, i really appreciate your work on SimFFB, I'm using it everytime I sit in a DCS:Helo :thumbup:

...but I must ask: Is there any way to get rid of that zero-force sloppiness(?) around the center position of the G940 stick? I tried the FFB effect in Grid2 and it has always some force all the way from left to right position...

I just don't know. It should be beyond the programmers reach, on the joystick's driver side. I don't know if anyway there is a way to change that.

In fact, that is the main defect of the FFB joysticks that makes them so problematic when you want to fly with precision, or when you want to set up the aircraft for hands free straight and level flight, or when you want to trim to a specific IAS. I really would like to get rid of it, but I guess that gap must be there when you built a FFB with consumer level components. Otherwise, the stick would shake every time it hits the center.

Oh man, no wonder I never seem to get consistent settings. I thought you just had to launch DCS first -- and then started simFFB -- and then "launch" a mission. You've clearly stated though, that I need to launch simFFB after the mission has loaded, and not before, correct? That is, you don't start simFFB until you're actually in the game world?

It seems clear that you are saying this -- but I just wanted to confirm since you've hinted at English not being your native language --

My proof-reading offer is still good of course (for a Readme)!

Yes, after the mission has loaded.

You run DCS, then launch a mission. And when the mission is loaded and the simulation has begun, only then, launch simffb. If simffb was already running, just close simffb and re-launch it. But always when the simulation is already running.

If you have any software that allows for it, you can create a key combo to launch simffb without the need to alt-tab. I used glovepie for that.

Edited by average_pilot

I just don't know. It should be beyond the programmers reach, on the driver side. I don't know if anyway there is a way to change that.

Ok, nevermind. Thx for the answer and for your great work.

Can you give some insight into making glovepie work like you state? How does that work without alt+tabbing out of the game?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

My solution for avoiding ALT-Tabbing while being in the game is, that i wrote some small program, that kills all instances of simFFB in the processes, then assigned it to one of macro keys in the G15 keyboard, while running simFFB is executed by another macro key.

This way, it is possible to reinitialize simFFB without switching to the desktop.

Ofcourse, more elegant solution would be to assign some key combination to option inside of program, that initialize DirectInput, but i've had no time yet, to re-learn C++. :-)

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

Could you make a simple readme for this program? What is the number drop down to the right of the control selection? I assume its so there are multiple profiles. Is there a way to make it so that there is a single profile selection that carries the 3 control options with it? So profile 1 has a joystick, rudder, throttle settings with it. Instead we have to pick each one individually. Something I am okay with just wondering for quicker selection if there was a way to do so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

That number is your trimmer button asigned in the game Options. For example I set the thumb button in game, and number six in simffb.

But I didn't understand the rest of your question, there are no ffb settings for your throttle and rudder pedals... :huh:

Ofcourse, more elegant solution would be to assign some key combination to option inside of program, that initialize DirectInput...

Right, that would be highly appreciated, especially now, when alt+tabbing take so long in 1.2.6 :thumbup:

Edited by Suchacz

Can you give some insight into making glovepie work like you state? How does that work without alt+tabbing out of the game?
Download glovepie http://glovepie.org/lpghjkwer.php

Run glovepie and copy/paste these lines in the edit window

if (Released(shift+right))
  Execute('h:\exec\simffb.exe')
endif

You have to change the path to the location of simffb.exe and the key combination to whatever you prefer. Then press the "Run" button that is just above the edit window.

Could you make a simple readme for this program? What is the number drop down to the right of the control selection? I assume its so there are multiple profiles. Is there a way to make it so that there is a single profile selection that carries the 3 control options with it? So profile 1 has a joystick, rudder, throttle settings with it. Instead we have to pick each one individually. Something I am okay with just wondering for quicker selection if there was a way to do so.
Yes, I know I should make a readme. I'm not motivated anymore so it will take some time to find a day to say "let's write that readme".

The number is to select the joystick button that will be used for trimming. Button 1, 2... and so on.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking for. All you have to do is to select the joystick and a button in that joystick that you want to use for trimming.

Edited by average_pilot

Example README.txt

This could be a lot better -- but as I didn't develop simFFB, and am writing this from memory. It's a start, anyway.

simFFB README

by BBQ (user, not author)

**Description**

simFFB.exe is a small program used to control how forcefeedback is implemented on your controller.

**Installation**

Simply place the simFFB.exe file in a directory of your choice (does not have to be in the game's directory).

**Uninstallation**

Simply delete the simFFB.exe file.

**Usage**

After launching simFFB.exe a graphical user interface will appear. There are a number of settings and menus:

Pulldown Device Selector: use this pull-down menu to select your forcefeedback capable device.

Number box next to Device Selector: after choosing your device, use this pulldown to select with button on your device will serve as the "trim" button. NOTE: Be sure to also map this button to the trim function within the simulation.

Spring Force: set amount of spring desired

Damper Force: set amount of dampening desired

Friction Force: set amount of friction desired

Trim Method Menu:

Initialize: select this item once you are happy with the settings -- this is the final step

Instantaneous: select this method for instant trim (upon release of the trim button)

Progressive: select this option for progressive trim (needs further explanation)

Both: some simulations/aircraft can utilize both methods, in which case you would want to select this option.

****NOTE: In some simulations, e.g., v126 of DCS: World, you must first load the simulation world (i.e., load a mission) -- and then once you are in the cockpit, ALT-TAB back out to Windows and launch simFFB.exe and select "Initialize"; then you can ALT-TAB back to DCS:World and you're all set. Failing to follow these steps may result in no forcefeedback in your controller.

Thanks a lot BBQ.

Just one thing. You don't have to select the FFB joystick. Of course, 99% of times you'll want to use a button on the FFB joystick. But, for example, people with modified joysticks, like msffb2 joysticks with the x52 grip, will select the x52 and a button in the x52. For whatever reason, if you need it, you can select any other joystick. If I'm still not clear on this let me know.

And, about that "progressive" trim mode... nobody gets it but the problem is that I don't know what would be the correct expression for that. It refers to the way the trimmer typically works in a fixed-wing aircraft. You press the trim button (in those with electrical trimmers) and the force progressively disappears with time as you keep the button down. Or in a plane with a traditional manual trimmer, it equals to move the trim wheel until you feel that the force in the stick or yoke is gone.

So I need a more proper expression to refer to the normal trimmer you find in almost any aircraft.

Edited by average_pilot