Nvidia 680 GTX Inbound

Can someone please tell me why the 680 only has 256 bit interface. Compared to the 7990 which has 384 and the 580 which has 384. Why have Nvidia not increased there bit interface or left it at 384? :S

"Too Tall" SQ 213

i7 870 / 8GB RAM 1333MHz / 2x500Gb Hard Drives @7200 RPM / Windows 7 64 bit / ATI Sapphire 6870 / Asus P7P55D-E / NZXT Phantom Case/ Corsair H80 liquid and fan cooler.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lallan, not sure if it explains the "why", but do note that GK104 memory interface is 50% faster than in the one in, for example, the 580. So while it is narrower, it still shunts data through at roughly the same speed. (Total bandwidth is 192GB/s on both 580 and 680 - though 7970 is still the faster one as far as memory goes.)

EDIT: Actually, looking at it, I think I can see the why - this chip is actually quite small, physically. Like GTX560Ti small. So most likely there was an mm² budget that mandated this change. But the performance numbers look more than acceptable anyway:

bf3-fps.gif

bf3-99th.gif

The pattern is slightly reversed in a few titles, so on the performance quarter it looks to me like the choice between 680 and 7970 will be a simple "red team or green team" type thing again, as usual. :) The 680 consumes 40 watts less under load, which is something though.

scatter-power.gif

An interesting comparison here though:

scatter-value-fps.gif

Looks like the 680 wins. BUT:

scatter-value-99th.gif

...only if you accept that it is more likely to give a couple choppy frames.

For myself, I'm torn. Tempted to get one or two of these, but the pricetag is above what I normally consider acceptable for a graphics card. I think I'll wait and see... The size and nature of this silicon makes me suspect there's something else en route as well - something beefier.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

[...]

, so on the performance quarter it looks to me like the choice between 680 and 7970 will be a simple "red team or green team" type thing again, as usual. :)

[...]

second that.

Nice that there is still a competition.... so: let the fight begin!

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

I will wait for non reference designs with backplate, and an extra GB of VRAM, so I can dream with a 3 monitor setup. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Hmm, interesting, didn't see it coming that nVidia would finally put out something that is actually more power efficient than the competing AMD design.

Edit: btw. "green team", since i'm on the fence for a new gc to complete my new setup, what is the ETA for the mid range Kepler based cards?

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The 670 is suposed to be launched with the 680

My PC specs below:

My gtx680 shipped today and is being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

Auzentech Home Theater 3D Sound.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

Saitek Flight Pro pedals.

TrackIR 5.

Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH

A card that does SLI perfomance levels with a single GPU without compatibility problems with less power and less heat... EPIC.

My PC specs below:

Usually there is a clear winner for a particular game.

I disagree on that. There are such "clear winners" a few times, but in my experience it's rare - and in those cases where it does happen there are often some pretty fishy things going on in the background (see for example the maneuver nVidia did with HAWX on tesselation, getting the developer to implement tesselation such that it would specifically work well with nVidia but poorly on AMD cards due to non-standard implementation). In other cases it's caused by the game having other specialized implementations that don't jive well with one driver or another (see for example the releases of DA2, Rage, Skyrim etcetera). This is unlikely to be the case with FC or DCS products.

I'd say that unless you have a very specialized setup, you won't see a difference between the two.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I disagree on that. There are such "clear winners" a few times, but in my experience it's rare - and in those cases where it does happen there are often some pretty fishy things going on in the background (see for example the maneuver nVidia did with HAWX on tesselation, getting the developer to implement tesselation such that it would specifically work well with nVidia but poorly on AMD cards due to non-standard implementation). In other cases it's caused by the game having other specialized implementations that don't jive well with one driver or another (see for example the releases of DA2, Rage, Skyrim etcetera). This is unlikely to be the case with FC or DCS products.

I'd say that unless you have a very specialized setup, you won't see a difference between the two.

I agree there are no clear winners, lots of things come into play here. Other computer specs, how people have certain things set up. My old busted computer runs better then some newer ones with me only using 1 or 2 lower settings. Computers are a strange beast with many different things effecting them.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Well they are out as of today.. 8 days earlier than the OP predicted! Instantly sold out on NewEgg..... I guess it's not "who you know but who you blow" to get one as they weren't even preorders for them....I think friends of people who work there got them with insider information so they can relist them on Ebay for $100.00 markup. I'll wait for the second batch anyways as I don't want to get burnt with the first revision as I did with the 8800 GTX/bad resistors /fail after a year BS.

Anxiously waiting for A-10/BS2 performance review from one of the early adopters here..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

As tempting as it is, I think I'll just stick with what I got. Good for 2 more years at least.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

Yeah, I'll probably hold off as well. I don't need anything more just yet, so I can hold on to my cash and get a whole new rig whenever Haswell arrives instead. Tempting, but not tempting enough. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

yep waiting for the August release revisions of a true Kepler.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Looks like Tigerdirect lied. The website site said EVGA GTX 680 "in stock" 1-2 days delivery time, so I ordered it. Now today, they are saying the damn card is backordered and it could be up til the 15th of April before I get it. And, it's not even listed on their website anymore.

I am outraged and furious right now by the false advertising. I'm half temped to cancel it altogether and wait for the 4gb version and order somewhere else.

Does not have to be a lie. It might have just been a delay in the stock accounting systems - happens even to companies that I know has 100% automated accounting, warehousing and packaging... Annoying when it happens but doesn't require anything malicious to happen. These things are selling like hotcakes it seems - the delivery dates on my local e-tailer are equally wild; it appears that whenever they make an order from their supply chain and put up a number and delivery date there's just as many people placing pre-orders - and then they have to order yet more from the supply chain and the dance continues... :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Looks like Tigerdirect lied. The website site said EVGA GTX 680 "in stock" 1-2 days delivery time, so I ordered it. Now today, they are saying the damn card is backordered and it could be up til the 15th of April before I get it. And, it's not even listed on their website anymore.

I am outraged and furious right now by the false advertising. I'm half temped to cancel it altogether and wait for the 4gb version and order somewhere else.

You should, its the only way they learn. Tiger knows damn well that more people will pre order with them if they post over optimistic availability information, and that customers will trust them. If people don't pull out of their (now delayed) preorders, it just gives the e-tailers the green light to do it all the time.

Card seems nice all right. I will getting one of this 600 series in the next few months. I find you always get the best bang for buck by skipping a generation. Although I am still surprised by some of the benchmarks in the reviews on how quick my trusty GTX295 still is.

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

Edit: btw. "green team", since i'm on the fence for a new gc to complete my new setup, what is the ETA for the mid range Kepler based cards?

Anybody got any intel on this? If they are way off, i might go for a 7850 instead, since they are slowly popping up.

Come let's eat grandpa!

The dates I see for the 670 is next month, but I don't know if that's a reliable number.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The dates I see for the 670 is next month, but I don't know if that's a reliable number.

I guess that means that lower spec cards are still way more off then?

Come let's eat grandpa!

Most likely, though it might be that they're coming as well but they're holding this under covers to tempt people into purchasing the more expensive cards first. Price quotes I've seen for 670 is in the 350 dollar range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'm back to using my old HD5870 after my HD7950 failed after less than a weeks use.

I found that my CPU became very much the FPS limiter when using the HD7950.

I've also (temporary) ditched my second monitor which i used for my Halios display and am i am now using only the 37" LED TV at a res of 1920x1080 running in full screen.

My old faithful HD5870 is having absolutely now problem running this sim now that its only running the one screen and also using full screen mode..

However i was thinking of going Nvidia for a change.

My question is:-

Would one of these new 680 cards be too much of an overkill for my current setup.

I was thinking that maybe for me at least a Nvida 580 would do the job just fine and money saving would also enable to buy a 850W Corsair power supply as well.

I know it's nice to have the fastest and best, but if my ageing HD5870 handles my setup, then surely a 580 will do just fine ???...

Any honest opinions would be much appreciated...

Regards

Gunner....

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

Normally I would recommend the 580 'which is still quite expensive', however in lieu of the 600 series I dont think I will.

I say stick with that 5870 a bit longer, if you can.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4