Nvidia 680 GTX Inbound

Newegg's price leak:

http://tof.canardpc.com/preview2/5dd2824a-dc85-4459-a5fb-a5ae135882d0.jpg

Do you guys think 2gb is going to be enough? How much VRAM does Warthog and BS2 use maxxed out? Single and Triple monitor usage?

If you are running x3 screens you start to hit the ceiling of VRAM when you turn up AA. With 2gb card if you are running around 5760x1080 and x8 AA you can hit the VRAM ceiling. Now if you system could run at that Rez and AA then you may want more, but realistically you will never push it far.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nvidia 580 price's haven't drop as much as i was hoping with the launch of their new card.

At this moment in time you might as well spend that bit more and buy the 680 instead.

I think i'm just going to stay with my HD5870 for now and invest in that long overdue power supply.

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

Pyroflash, the only thing the GTX670M has in common with the GTX670 is the number "670" in the marketing name. The 670M is based on GF114 silicon - that is, the same silicon as the desktop GTX560.

Essentially, GTX670M is a factory overclocked GTX570M. Not even a die shrink has happened.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The Nvidia 580 price's haven't drop as much as i was hoping with the launch of their new card.

At this moment in time you might as well spend that bit more and buy the 680 instead.

I think i'm just going to stay with my HD5870 for now and invest in that long overdue power supply.

I was hoping for the same thing with the 6900s when the 7900s came out but it seems they just discontinued the 6900s. I wonder if the 500s will share the same fate.

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Some will be discontinued, some will be relabeled and stay on the market under a 6xx name.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I hate to say it but after looking at some of the reviews the 680 it's not 46% faster than a 7970.

The other thing thats being hinted at is the 680 is closer to a 560ti than a 580. Every other release by Nvidia since the 8800 series has coincided with a Quadro/Tesla release in paralell. This time there is nothing which also seems to point to them holding back on the true "680". Compute performance is worse than a 580 so there has to be something else in the works. I have a feeling Nvidia is holding back on its true high end part for a while, probably to see what AMD is going to come out with. In the mean time they come out with something comparable to AMD they can charge the same price for.

Haven't seen 1 review where 3 screens surround or eyefinity are compared on these new cards or better yet DCS performance. would be nice to know :) From the reviews I've seen the ATI cards scaled a bit better at higher resolutions.

[Edit] Isn't that one of the new features of the card....finally able to run 3 screens and noone even bothered in any of the hardware review sites.....

Think I'll hold on a while longer and hopefully we can see some results here as people start getting the new Nvidia/AMD cards.

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

I hate to say it but after looking at some of the reviews the 680 it's not 46% faster than a 7970.

Someone claimed it was? That sounds silly...

The other thing thats being hinted at is the 680 is closer to a 560ti than a 580.

As far as some basic characteristics like die size and memory bus width, yes. In performance, no, and it is a different architecture. What might have happened is that the GK104 was first intended to replace the GF114 (560), but nVidia then noticed that "holy hell it runs side-by-side with the 7970" and decided to hold on to the beefier stuff for a bit.

Compute performance is worse than a 580 so there has to be something else in the works.

Depends on the type of workload. As far as I can see it absolutely annihilates the 580 for single-precision operations, but suffers in double-precision. Granted, most of the "serious" compute stuff tends to end up double-precision.

I have a feeling Nvidia is holding back on its true high end part for a while, probably to see what AMD is going to come out with. In the mean time they come out with something comparable to AMD they can charge the same price for.

Either that, or the other, bigger one, isn't yet ready. Might have been some snag somewhere causing it to be held off, and having them decide the GK104 is "good enough" anyhow and letting them skip the beefy one entirely. Their choice to use this chip for the 680 is what makes me wonder about this.

[Edit] Isn't that one of the new features of the card....finally able to run 3 screens and noone even bothered in any of the hardware review sites.....

Check the review(s) linked in this thread. :)

Also check this one out, it has a whole bunch of interesting comparisons, including triple-screens: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2641/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-quad-sli-review-english-version

Also, the card is capable of powering 4 screens - they label it a 3-screen surround gaming setup with one additional "auxiliary" screen. For example, you could use this to run DCS with a triple-screen and then have Helios or similar applications on the aux screen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Nice, I haven't been to that site before. Was hoping I wouldn't have to wait a month before someone got around to doing this :)

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Also, the card is capable of powering 4 screens - they label it a 3-screen surround gaming setup with one additional "auxiliary" screen. For example, you could use this to run DCS with a triple-screen and then have Helios or similar applications on the aux screen.

As a moderator wrote in Nvidia forum you can also use 4 displays in windows extended desktop.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=225657

The Geforce GTX 680 can support up to 4 display in Windows Extended Desktop mode. In 2D Surround and 3D Surround, the three monitors have to be running in the same screen resolution.

Well Togg, that's obvious. That capability is required for the described gaming scenario anyhow. ;) (Or well, to be more precise, anything that gives the capability to set up that gaming rig will also give you the extended desktop functions, and it's mainly a Windows question, not a card question. You can do the same with pretty much any scenario that allows 4 screens.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Same here, just dropped my aging 5870 for a brand spanking new 680 (Yeah, I finally found one, these things are selling like hot cakes).

I'm interested in buying a 680. Can you check if you notice a difference in framerate coming from the 5870?

Thanks

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Hopefully the new 300 series driver will let me use my USB screens again. Currently broken with Nvidia surround enabled. If any of you gentleman with shiny new 680's are using USB screens + surround also some feedback would be greatly appreciated. (sometimes I can get them to work but after a reboot they quit again)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Hopefully the new 300 series driver will let me use my USB screens again. Currently broken with Nvidia surround enabled. If any of you gentleman with shiny new 680's are using USB screens + surround also some feedback would be greatly appreciated. (sometimes I can get them to work but after a reboot they quit again)

are they blanking in and out as if the drivers cant keep them displayed?

If so you need to get a powered USB port and then plug that into a 3.0 USB.

I started having this issue after the new Nvidia drivers. 296's, they required more Power now.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I'm interested in buying a 680. Can you check if you notice a difference in framerate coming from the 5870?

Thanks

What do you mean? In DCS, in general? I'm sure that a new GPU three generations up the pipeline will outperform the older one.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

are they blanking in and out as if the drivers cant keep them displayed?

If so you need to get a powered USB port and then plug that into a 3.0 USB.

I started having this issue after the new Nvidia drivers. 296's, they required more Power now.

If I run my 3 screens as independant monitors the USB screens work. Enabling Nvidia surround makes them quit working. Others have had this issue also with surround. From my observations if you have 2 screens enabled , its ok , when you enable the 3rd it starts making the USB screens fail. Certain combinations of reinstalling drivers and reconfiguring monitors get them to work but only breifly. After a reboot you are back to square 1.

Just a guess that the Nvidia driver didn't like more than 3 screens and somehow disabled it. Even with the required SLI setup you couldn't enable more than 3 screens. Thats why the 680 is so appealing to me.

Note: They work perfectly fine with 1 or 2 monitors attached with SLI or without.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Slayer:

Yea, I'll do some test with BS2 and A10C next week when the 680 arrives. What we need is a single standard benchmark test so that everyone can compare it to. Do you have any specific track in mind for some statistical numbers?

There was one thread about FPS in the cockpit, but it was kind of weak. I guess I could follow up there, too. I'd like to get Kuky in on this too with his 7970.

You can go to this thread as a start and chuck in your values when you get hold of your 680

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=83269

Alternatively, make a track, post it and I me and others with 7970 can give FRAPS values for it to compare with 680

No longer active in DCS...

My worry with those benchmark comparisons intended to compare the graphics cards is that we'd preferably want to see otherwise identical (or near-identical) configurations. DCS has hardware dependencies all over the place. A possible "solution" would be to crank graphic settings up so high that it becomes guaranteed to bottleneck on the GPU, but to get this guarantee we'd basically end up testing settings that are borderline unplayable - and then there's the question of whether that information is of any use.

Still, better than nothing. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

^ agree. To be accurate you're going to have to run several tests i.e.

settings - ALL HIGH

2560 x 1600 no AA

2560 x 1600 4x AA

5760 x 1080 no AA

5760 x 1080 4x AA

and then run them all windowed and full screen. Shouldn't need to run them in a crazy smoke filled mission environment I don't think. A visual circuit of batumi would be a good start. Only the 3 monitor configs are going to bottleneck the GPU imho though.

Funnily enough, I thought this card would suffer running 3 screens with only 2Gb VRAM but apparently not according to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli-overclock-surround,3162.html

1 point to note in this review is the lack of overclocking potential of the 680 versus the 7970. Not much headroom in the 680 due to GPU boost it seems.

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

My worry with those benchmark comparisons intended to compare the graphics cards is that we'd preferably want to see otherwise identical (or near-identical) configurations. DCS has hardware dependencies all over the place. A possible "solution" would be to crank graphic settings up so high that it becomes guaranteed to bottleneck on the GPU, but to get this guarantee we'd basically end up testing settings that are borderline unplayable - and then there's the question of whether that information is of any use.

Still, better than nothing. :)

Running a before and after upgrade bench might help a little.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Slayer, not really if the objective is to know something about the 680 vs 7970 comparison.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Okay, so I have this acquaintance who yesterday received a brand new 680. He put it in, and the next thing I heard was his complaining that he wasted money on the card, and that it didn't measure up to the performance of his two 590's.. So for the record, no, a single 680 won't be faster than two 590's. It shouldn't have to be said, but people apparently can't be asked to look into things before they buy them..

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.