What does TGP AUTOLASE FAIL mean

xaoslaad

The auto lase setting is done via the stores management. Not 100% but if the target was masked then it might not be able to lase the target. (masking happens when for example the plane gets in the way of the TPG seeing the target) Just a guess as I haven't had that problem.

Also how long did he set the autolase duration for?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] AEF Flesh | 161 SQN

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

It happened to me, i'm not sure what were the reasons as I was still flying towards the target after bomb release and lase time was lower then fall time (i think autolase should work even if longer). I just lased manually and hit the target all the same.

Maybe some random failure? I thought it was cool all the same...

• 2 weeks later...

I Just had the same message, hence why I reading this thread . Was dropping GBU-12 from 4900 feet and Lase time set to 15. Bomb Dropped then message appeared on MFCD and of course bomb missed target.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I Just had the same message, hence why I reading this thread . Was dropping GBU-12 from 4900 feet and Lase time set to 15. Bomb Dropped then message appeared on MFCD and of course bomb missed target.

In the absence of a track, I'd hazard a guess that you're dropping from too low.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

In the absence of a track, I'd hazard a guess that you're dropping from too low.

Yes I agree. It seems that The Laser ON time set to 15 means the Laser will turn on 15 seconds before impact. Now if the bomb Drop time is less than 15 seconds (say from 4900 feet) does this mean the Laser will never turn on, and hence the LASE FAILED error ?

So then that begs the question what would the correct value for this Variable be ?

For example if I set it to 2 seconds I might create a situation where the amount of time to guide the bomb to its target is insufficient if the Laser wasn't turned on until 2 seconds before impact.

In my mind as a programmer I would want to see it work this way. If the drop time was less than Laser turn ON time then turn the Laser ON immediately .

Or the other question is why have this feature at all. Why not Lase instantly at drop time ?

Any thoughts ?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any thoughts ?

To quote the manual:

To improve accuracy, it's recommended that you deliver these bombs from above 15,000 feet AGL and delay lasing the target until 8 seconds before impact.

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• 1 year later...
AUTOLASE FAIL: can be caused by: 1 - gear or flaps extended, 2 - IAS <100 kts, 3 - targeting pod masked by fuselage, 4 - targeting pod not in tracking mode (Area, Point, INR, Rates)

Generally means that the laser can put a laser point on the target.

I seem to get an Autolase Fail if I use the FUNC -> FPM and switch the flight path marker from AUTO to MAN and then try to drop a LG bomb immediately after (with the profile set to 10 second lase time and auto-lase on). Perhaps that does something to the TGP's tracking mode?

If that is the case, are there any quick steps I can follow to reset the CDU so that it does not interfere with the TGP (assuming that it is causing the problem)? Many thanks!

Edited by DarkFib3r
spelling and punctuation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
i've gotten this twice in a row now on the first mission of the campaign, where it asks you to destroy a bridge. I dropped a 2000lb LGB from ~15kfeet. not sure what is going on.

I've just had the exact same thing happen, same mission.

I changed laser code on stores to 1681 and laser on TGP to 1681 (incase of interference from AI wingman).

Changed mode to CCRP

Min ALT to 1000ft

Auto Lase on

Lase timer 10 seconds.

1st time it happend was on taking the bridge, i used NWS button to manual lase, scored a hit.

Second time was on a tank after checking in with JTAC (same mission), missed the tank (seemed that the laser switched off whilst holding NWS?, overheated?).

If it happens again I'll save track.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

• 4 months later...

Same thing here when I slew the TGP to a waypoint. If I move the TGP around a little and select a new SPI then everything works fine. Haven't tried JTAC yet, but perhaps combining auto laser with a SPI source other than the TGP itself just won't work?

• 2 years later...

Lets imagine a situation. I'm at angels 23, cloudy. Can't see the target. JTACS provide UTM for the target location. TGP set to SPI at the location, but can't see anything (Clouds). I'm getting LAse failure after dropping the bomb. Do I have to go bellow cloud deck? Even with the TGP with SPI at the target location?

This is happening to me in Mission#11 of Piercing Fury Campaign.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

TGP AUTOLASE FAIL can also mean you forgot to arm the laser. Don’t ask me how I know this ;-)

When noobs like myself start doing missions from a cold start it is easy, at first, to forget to arm the laser - it’s not on the startup checklist, and with the switch (in the A-10C) being in the second row it’s easy to overlook.

Rift S, 10700K, RTX 2080S, TM Warthog HOTAS, home built cyclic and collective, 16GB 3200 RAM, A-10C, Huey

TGP AUTOLASE FAIL can also mean you forgot to arm the laser. Don’t ask me how I know this ;-)

:)

When noobs like myself start doing missions from a cold start it is easy, at first, to forget to arm the laser - it’s not on the startup checklist [...]

That's actually a safety concern. AFAIK, the laser can be so intense it can damage people's eyes or even make them go completely blind. Sure, when you're about to unleash a 500 pounder on them, the well-being of their eyesight isn't a concern. But until then, pilot's don't want to accidentally do this to anyone.

As such, arming the laser is part of the fence-procedure and belongs to the appropriate checklist (not sure if the manual includes this checklist, but it's what real pilots do before the action starts). MASTER ARM and GUN ARM are obviously also part of that checklist (although to be clear, I'm not certain whether MASTER ARM is performed during fence in, or whether it's only done right before rolling in on the target to have an additional safety layer against inadvertent weapon release).