TO SLI or NOT???

I'm thinking of buying another BFG6800 Ultra for SLI. I can only run 1280X1024 with my LCD but I wonder if it will be worth it. The price is coming down on video cards and I am thinking if I can get one for around $300 in a few months it might be worth it. I already have top notch CPU, memory, etc.

What do u think? Is SLI even working yet with LOMAC.

cheers

I'm thinking of buying another BFG6800 Ultra for SLI. I can only run 1280X1024 with my LCD but I wonder if it will be worth it. The price is coming down on video cards and I am thinking if I can get one for around $300 in a few months it might be worth it. I already have top notch CPU, memory, etc.

cheers

LOMAC working with SLI in 1280X1024 fine! :)

See this topic: http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=10769

Best Regards

Viper

sigpic3353_7.gif

System: Intel Core i7-4790, 3,6GHz, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5,

TM HOTAS Warthog;(MSFFB2 for testing); TrackIR4 +Track Clip Pro; Windows 10 Pro.

Well in my view, even a single 6800GT should do just fine at 1280X1040. It is the processor that bears most of the burden at that resolution. I would not spend money buying the second video card when you can not get higer resolutoins (e.g. 1600X1200).

If I could only afford Fx-57 ...

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

ok, i would suggest sli'ing your pc, but NOT if its just for lockon, but if you play many other games then yea, do it, but if you just play lockon, then dont do it as you will be dissappointed by the performance increase/cost of 6800u as it isnt much compared to other games....

bottom line is, if you game alot get it....

ok, i would suggest sli'ing your pc, but NOT if its just for lockon, but if you play many other games then yea, do it, but if you just play lockon, then dont do it as you will be dissappointed by the performance increase/cost of 6800u as it isnt much compared to other games....

bottom line is, if you game alot get it....

I second that.

------------------

Wingmen should pretty much stick to two radio transmissions, "Two." or "Sir, you're on fire."

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

SLI owners, sign up for nvidias sli club and you get a good few freebies from em.

http://www.slizone.com/content/slizone/clubsli.html

you gotta dload a small registration exe file to your puter to see if you have sli before you can register...

i say why not, its free and you get stuff for your pc for free from nvidia :)

if you can call it free that is. but there ya go.

• 3 weeks later...

except you already bought a single 6800U already. Instead of dropping $500+ to upgrade to a single card, the release of the faster single card has dropped the price of the 6800U to a more managable price. So instead of spending $500 you spend $250 and near the same performance.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

it's still cheaper if you have a 6800u already in your rig to spend $250 on another 6800u than to drop $500+ (btw I'm speaking Cdn$ here) on a new card. Every benchmark shows that the 7800gtx gets say 90fps while the sli 6800u only gets 80. Yes the 7800 is faster, but the sli setup isn't a slouch either.

It would make sense to upgrade to the 7xxx series cards if you are 2 generations behind, but if you have a 6xxx series card that is sli capable and the mb to support it, it is cheaper to get a second card now and get good performance. Not top 1 percentile, but still able to run any game at 1600x1200 w/ AA and AF and get good stable fps (30+). If you absolutely need to get 60fps + in all situations, then the 7800 is there for you, but as I have said many, many times to you, stop playing the fps counter and try playing the games.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

wow, you're leet.

Glad that extra frame is worth $500 to you.

In the real world if you have a SLI mb and a 6800u already, a second 6800u is the most sensible way to get a drastic improvement in the performance of your system for the most reasonable amount of money.

most benchmarks, LOMAC included on Firingsquad showed that the 7800 had around 10-15fps advantage, at most over a Sli rig.

and that's in the 90 vs 75 range, not something like 30 vs 15, so those extra fps are nice, but not absolutely necessary. By the time that the extra performance delta of the 7800 has over the sli setup, the 7800 will be lagging as well and their will be next gen cards on the market.

If you absolutely need the greatest thing running top fps at all times, money be damned, then the 7800gtx is the way to go.

If you already own a 6800u and a Sli ready MB, then the most cost effective way to get drastic improvement in you fps then a second 6800u makes the most sense.

Unless, of course, you are professional gamer like the point you were making.

BTW, I've been with the LOMAC community since the beginning, and the flanker before that, not you, so don't be telling me to STFU noob, k? I started being smart when you went off on your whole pro gamer rant. You're the one that comes storming in as some leet hardware guru telling people the most expensive way of upgrading is the only way because if they are serious about gaming, then money doesn't matter. It does.

lol, you are getting more and more delusional. Going from a single 6800u to sli doesn't give you a drastic increase? Damn. You are too funny. The fact that you are getting absolutely bend out of shape is comedy. Guess every benchmark out there is lying when it shows a good 60+% increase when you go Sli.

You be a professional gamer? Good, then it would make sense that you are willing to spend top dollar and throw out a good card when the next latest and greatest comes along.

But for this guys question, going to a Sli rig will give him a very nice, dare I say drastic, performance increase for a lot less money than buying the fastest card out there. That is my point. You keep going off saying that you need to always have the latest and greatest if he wants to be a mythical pro gamer like yourself. Maybe so, but as you are so quick to tell me, you have to so uber leet to obtain that status that it just isn't possible.

So please, keep putting me in my place with your leet pro gamer status and know everything attitude. It's priceless :D

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

If you already own a 6800u and a Sli ready MB, then the most cost effective way to get drastic improvement in you fps then a second 6800u makes the most sense.

Not to get involved in this lovers quarrel, but i dont fully agree with that statement, for the price of a second 6800ultra, for a few bux pounds euros more you could have a single 7800gtx, which = greater than 2 6800u's and then sell the remaining ultra thus getting money back.

so basically if you have the money for a second 6800ultra, then buy a 7800gtx instead and sell the original 68u. that way makes more sense to me, as you will have all the power you can buy atm and if you sell the 6800ultra then you will end up being even less out of pocket and with more performance than 2x68u's...

but saying that, if i wanted to specifically have sli in my puter, and i already had a 6800u in it, then i would just buy another 6800u, just so that i could say i have sli :) but as far as i am aware, 1 78 when set against 2 x68u's will kill it time after time, although there will be the odd benchmark that will favour the 2 68s rather than the single 78.

either way, either one 78 or 2 68s, they both magic cards, and if i never had 78 or 68, i would love to own any of them as they are both great, as i never once had any problems with the 68 series of cards except faulty wallsocket killing it and pc, I can seriously recommend the 68gt and ultra cards, not one game would tax my 6800gt when it first came out and even now it hardly gets taxed, even tho i dont use the 68gt now as it is a spare, i would easily fall back and start using it again incase something happens to all my other cards, as it is just a really cool card.

peace

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
You say you've seen benchmarks that show 2 6800's will beat a 7800GTX single?

thats what i said in my previous post, 99% of the benchmarks will favour the 78, but there is the odd 1 or 2 that i have seen that favours the 6800ultra in sli mode and it just scrapes past the 78's score.

Not to get involved in this lovers quarrel, but i dont fully agree with that statement, for the price of a second 6800ultra, for a few bux pounds euros more you could have a single 7800gtx, which = greater than 2 6800u's and then sell the remaining ultra thus getting money back.

so basically if you have the money for a second 6800ultra, then buy a 7800gtx instead and sell the original 68u. that way makes more sense to me, as you will have all the power you can buy atm and if you sell the 6800ultra then you will end up being even less out of pocket and with more performance than 2x68u's...

but saying that, if i wanted to specifically have sli in my puter, and i already had a 6800u in it, then i would just buy another 6800u, just so that i could say i have sli :) but as far as i am aware, 1 78 when set against 2 x68u's will kill it time after time, although there will be the odd benchmark that will favour the 2 68s rather than the single 78.

either way, either one 78 or 2 68s, they both magic cards, and if i never had 78 or 68, i would love to own any of them as they are both great, as i never once had any problems with the 68 series of cards except faulty wallsocket killing it and pc, I can seriously recommend the 68gt and ultra cards, not one game would tax my 6800gt when it first came out and even now it hardly gets taxed, even tho i dont use the 68gt now as it is a spare, i would easily fall back and start using it again incase something happens to all my other cards, as it is just a really cool card.

peace

Don't get me wrong, if you can get a 7800gtx at a good price, then buy it, esp if you can't find a second 6800u a low price.

But, since the 7800gtx is new tech, it will stay very constant in it's price, while the older gen cards like the 6800u will continue to spiral down in price.

I've never said that an 6800sli will ever beat a 7800gtx. But really that is moot because you are talking about getting 90fps vs 75fps at high rez with AA and AF. Both setups are killer.

My sole point is that if you already have a 6800u card, which is no slouch, that shopping around and finding a second 6800u will give a drastic increase in performance (most Sli benchmarks show a 60% or so increase in fps) for a very good price. Vs dropping a lot more money an faster single card solution that will give even greater gains, but at the same time somewhat pointless at this time.

Now if you were building a new rig or upgrading an older gen card, absolutely get the 7800, esp if you are planning on doing the same sli upgrade in the future when the 8800's come out and drive the 7800 price.

It's great if you can ride the front of the technological curve, it just costs a lot of money. For our pro gaming friend here, that cost maybe not an issue, but for most people budget is a major limiting factor. Personally I'd wait till after Christmas and then buy the second card. Prices will have dropped a lot by then and the single 6800u is still fast enough right now for any game.