Newest EDM Model Tools

shouldnt ED have the source MAX Files to re-export if they needed.. lol.

from max R4 or from max5 ? i dont think so :D

to convert and add new edm materials is much more easy with modelviewer instead of using old max versions imho

and maybe ubisoft has the source max files and not ed

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

Just Import the Max Files, adjust, export

as i see nothing was adjusted except materials but those are old materials in edm format too

no new edm materials with old "converted" models: like bano, mirror, glass etc. - and many self-illuminated materials was wrong earlier (landing lights) and some still wrong like afterburner textures/materials inside nozzle

so im pretty sure they did not touch the old cmd models since lomac - they converted only and conversion made those material problems :(

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

So Use Old ModelViewer, convert to EDM and use in NewModelViewer?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So Use Old ModelViewer, convert to EDM and use in NewModelViewer?

unfortunately models converted with oldest modelviewers not visible in current dcsw nor in current modelviewer - visible only in old dcsw and MV versions

conversion with newer MVs seems ok but dcsw send a caution message in dcs.log

conversion with newest MVs is not possible - converted models not visible at all: missing materials :cry:

sign-pic4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i got an error message always when i start to run a newer version than ~78277 of the modelviewer:(

can't load config/modelviewer.lua !

but there is a modelviewer.lua file in the config folder

both in the installed modelviewer/config folder

and in the C:/...saved games/edmodelviewer/config folder

sign-pic4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
i got an error message always when i start to run a newer version than ~78277 of the modelviewer:(

can't load config/modelviewer.lua !

but there is a modelviewer.lua file in the config folder

both in the installed modelviewer/config folder

and in the C:/...saved games/edmodelviewer/config folder

I get the same thing as well infortunately.... I even tried copying the other modelviewer.lua from the game directory just for kicks and giggles. I love using the model viewer to skin with, is there a version of the stand alone that does work well with windows 7? Then when I try and load a model into it I get all these shader error messages and a funky version of the model. The P-51D's prop is basically in a box and such. I'm pretty new to DCS so forgive my foolishness if it's something I'm doing wrong. I've tried several versions of the standalone model viewer now.

I was using the one in the main directory of the game and it worked like a champ until yesterday. It won't open now, I didn't change anything at all....guess it decided it had enough :doh:

DCS_zps6de5f63b.png

EDIT: I think I found my issue. It was the usual culprit, a windows update that happened at least after FEB 12 2014 on my machine. Even the games model viewer works like it's supposed too now.

Edited by Cool-Hand

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can make them render in the standalone...

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Like Aaron said, it only works in the standalone modelviewer.

6XdR4Ail.png

npTxHLBl.jpg

aTFJDfyl.jpg

Edited by Blaze

I would like to know why the mirror shader works in the model viewer. but in game this shader IS broken. nearing 2 years now in that broken state with no attention what so ever from any developer............... it once worked very well you know.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In standalone they render automatically, if not type showcol in the text field.

And Ali, our jet uses mirror.

Click for full-res.

05enhLCl.jpg

I get the same thing as well infortunately.... I even tried copying the other modelviewer.lua from the game directory just for kicks and giggles. I love using the model viewer to skin with, is there a version of the stand alone that does work well with windows 7? Then when I try and load a model into it I get all these shader error messages and a funky version of the model. The P-51D's prop is basically in a box and such. I'm pretty new to DCS so forgive my foolishness if it's something I'm doing wrong. I've tried several versions of the standalone model viewer now.

I was using the one in the main directory of the game and it worked like a champ until yesterday. It won't open now, I didn't change anything at all....guess it decided it had enough :doh:

EDIT: I think I found my issue. It was the usual culprit, a windows update that happened at least after FEB 12 2014 on my machine. Even the games model viewer works like it's supposed too now.

Missing textures and liveries is fixed by mounting the VFS Folder for the aircrafts textures in the /config/modelviewer/autoexec.lua

I would like to know why the mirror shader works in the model viewer. but in game this shader IS broken. nearing 2 years now in that broken state with no attention what so ever from any developer............... it once worked very well you know.

Mirror works fine for me.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

so I am experiencing the old problem same as the p51 problems I once spoke of. with that white opaque sheen over it, knocking out the reflections on the shadow area which is now displayed as white.(the opaque thing) yet viewing model via model viewer it appears as I feel it should. can anyone tell me what a black skin may look like with this mirror shader ? where it should fade or blend into a shadowed area its just going opaque white. :(

blaze, that works really well. how so ? where yours blends into the shadow it works perfectly well, like it used to long time ago. not so since and still for me.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes joey and you have the problem I was speaking off. A perfect demonstration of that the white opaque stuff on the underside, and towards the rear its blending away out of blue relfection and into the opaque effect i speak off. that right there is the problem. which is not visible on blaze,s screenshot, in joeys shot the effect is ugly, it is incorrect. it is not realistic. its not even artistic. This once looked just so nice and worked similarly to the results seen via the model viewer. I am merely attempting to illustrate the problem and get a fix. a solution. For everyone. why I feel I have folks telling me it works fine is beyond my comprehension.

anyway that is exactly the problem. HDR enhances it as opposed to using no HDR settings. The fade should fade into a shadow not opaque white! it should also blend into what is any self shadowing. Which is nearly NON EXISTANT btw . if anyone could acknowledge this that would be just great. It gets tiresome being told something works fine when it does not. The point is it DOES work fine when not in game and using the model viewer and it used to work very very well indeed in the game engine itself. It leads me to believe it is truly BROKEN. this shader changed a long long time ago and it has been broken as such since it was changed which was nearing 2 years go. around the v1.2 days of dcs world. why is it the way it is ? I ask because its far from logical and genuinely frustrating.

hey guys it is 2014 and nobody can get reflections working correctly ?

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I took the liberty to modify the screenshot you posted Joey, hope you dont mind.

So the red area on the spinner shows very well what Ali Fish is talking about. This white area should not be white, and it looks rather strange.

Another thing, has anyone been able to make the reflections work on a black skin? On my end, all reflections disappear when the skin is black.

Screen_140302_191122_zps0c436c0b.thumb.jpg.526c52b583fa049cf3f6c9f8efe4b658.jpg

I took the liberty to modify the screenshot you posted Joey, hope you dont mind.

So the red area on the spinner shows very well what Ali Fish is talking about. This white area should not be white, and it looks rather strange.

Another thing, has anyone been able to make the reflections work on a black skin? On my end, all reflections disappear when the skin is black.

thanks crow. its not just the spinner its the whole side of any surface when viewed at a shallow viewing angle.

black cant work for the very reasons we see in the shots above m8.but as you know in the model viewer it does work. ive done it on the hawk already in game. what happens is the reflection bleeds into this WHITE OPAQUE effect where it should be shadowed, again, this used to work properly. I was the only one dabbling in the sheer potential of this shader when the 51 came out. I stopped and didn't release anything because of this problem that I could not get anyone to acknowledge. many other 3rd party devs commented too with no response. between the reflection blending and any self shadowing I believe this white effect is the problem. has something gotten reversed somewhere,

I cant help thinking or perceiving this as if it was just some black multiply style channel it would appear as it should.i have spent hours on the textures trying to establish if it can be fixed, the green channel which I believe is the gloss channel does help. but as it helps the problem it destroys the potential of using that effect. being the only one really working with it, it appears it is only me that identifies with the fact that it did used to work very well to great effect. as intended. that is why I am passionate about a fix.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Our Patriots jets are black and the reflections work fine. I remember a time when they didn't. Don't know how but redoing the specs somehow fixed it.