New tech discussion section

Alfa

Hi,

Following a request from the community, we have added this "tech discussion" sub-section to the forum.

Please note that it is not meant as an official tech support function(although it may occassionally be used as such), but rather to provide a place for community members to help each other solve computer related issues, give advice on hardware matters etc.

Please keep posts of such subjects within this forum section :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

• 10 months later...

Installing [LockOn Gold] over V1.02 NOVICE help Plz

hello my friend! am truly sorry if I picked wrong thread for this (help question).

well! the thing is I have version 1.02, and today I purchased [LockOn gold] fifth aug 2006

I have tried to locate installation procedure how to install over previously game such my version 1.02!... do I have two uninstall my version first?

Or can I just install GOLD version over my previously one?

Do I need some patches for this installation?

If I have to uninstall my version first! which files should I save? I haven't learned yet 'which flies are most important!

Don't know if it matter! but I have Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar!! GOD!! I love this stick.

By the way! I know that some GOLD version, have some problems with disc 1 or 2, tried to write to [Evolved Games] for some information!.....If you can see on the package folder!... if I have purchased the real deal.

No answer or reply yet! well I think I will notice when I installing it.

best regards/// Mr.KingCobra

I got It!

Well the best way to install it without any compatibility problems is over a clean install of 1.00. But if you haven't modded the game then you can easily just upgrade to 1.1. The only patch you need after that is 1.12a, it is the latest patch.

I don't know how the GOLD edition looks like but I guess that the first disc is 1.00 and the second one 1.1 so you need to put disc 2 into your pc. If you want to have multiple installs of LO (all versions from 1.00 to 1.12a) then read this thread: http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=718&highlight=&sid=8ad0a05841a73bc57c7b8b868024f4f3

THX: to--> Black_Hawk

Need some help with ATI driver/Setings.

hello all flyers out there!

I'm not a' Advance PC user icon_redface.gif so I need some HeLp for ATI drivers.

I'm just trying out the latest driver for ATI 6.7 and it doesn't seem to do anything better for [LockOn] I have tried to find out on Internet which driver is best for [lockon] even writing to ATI about this issue! no answer yet

icon_cry.gif

So 'if there is any driver that's suits [lockon] in the best way, can you please help me with best settings in [ATI Catalyst control center] Like--> Anti-Aliasing/etc. etc. and which resolution works best for [lockon].

My equipment:

Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar=Latest update

TrackIR 4 PRO=Latest update

Chassi Arctic Cooling 350W

ASUS P5GD2, S775, 915P, PCI EXP. DDR2

CPU Intel 540 P4 FSB800 3.2GHz S775

DDR 2 1024MB DDR2 Non-Ecc CL4 (2x512MB

Seagate 7200.7 200GB SATA/150 2

DVD NEC ND-3500 DVD+-RW DL, 16X, IDE

ATI Sapphire, Radeon X800 XT PCI-E 256MB

SoundCard In MotherBoard 3D-SoundE = Xear3D CRL3D DS3d EAX2.0 A3D1.0

Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit

O/S XP Windows XP Pro OEM

graphics software:

Driver Packaging Version 8.273-060718a-035119C-ATI

CATALYST® Version 06.7

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 6.14.10.6626

Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0419

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.5949

CATALYST® Control Center Version 1.2.2390.38630

AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6246

AV Stream (T200) Driver Version 6.14.10.1070

graphics Hardware:

Graphics Card Manufacturer Built by ATI

Graphics Chipset RADEON X800 XT

Device ID 5D57

Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 0312

Subsystem Vendor ID 1002

Bus Type PCI Express

Current Bus Setting PCI Express

BIOS Version 009.003.001.020

BIOS Part Number 113-A31904-104

BIOS Date 2004/06/16

Memory Size 256 MB

Memory Type DDR3

Core Clock in MHz 500 MHz

Memory Clock in MHz 500 MHz

Primary Display Yes

I hope this information will help to someone expert user!

icon_smile.gif

O' I almost forgot to ask about speech recognition software!

which speech recognition is the best for [LockOn] on to use?

And not' using to much CPU, and what do I need, to make that work properly.

Bestregards: MrKingCobra

• 4 months later...

developer tool?

is there some sort of "developer's tool" or console command for lockon that can create a log file of problems encountered during the game?.....

i have been trying to chase down a screen freezing problem, which i have posted in this forum earlier...it has been a couple of weeks now, and i'm at my wit's end:cry: ...i have tried everything i can think of and things my flying buddies and previous posters here have thought of, to no result....

here's the problem, again: screen freezes, sound continues for few seconds, then goes silent with same frozen screen for a few more seconds...then everything snaps back into motion, but that many seconds down the course...or i've crashed into the ground....

here's what i have tried already:

reinstalled lockon

set graphics settings on low

ran lockon with default skins only

Dx diag - no problems

adjusted the page file

eliminated as many background programs as possible

ran 3DMark06- found out i have an average computer

updated bios

disabled the motherbord audio

updated video drivers

changed graphics config to "nv4_disp.dll" from the renderer dll

attempted Pilotasso's regedit, but it wouldnt keep the settings

....and damn, can't remember what else:crash:

specs:

WindowsXP

GIGABYTE GA-K8N-SLI, AMD Athlon64 3500+,

(2) 1gb A-DATA DDR 400 RAM,

EVGA 256mb GeForce 7800GT,

WestDig 74gb 10k Raptor, WestDig 250gb 7200,

Soundblaster Audigy2 Value,

...please help....don't want to have to abandon lockon!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...
Guest cloud83

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Windows vista from xp, and I experience a very annoying sound problem. When I am sitting in the cockpit the sound always sounds like the engines are on 100%, despite I haven't even turned them on. Because of this I can hardly hear any other sounds: the real engine, airbrake, flaps, especially the RWR sounds.

The strange thing is, when I set EVERYTHING to 0 in the options/audio tab, I can still hear this sound.

Anyone else had this problem, or knows the solution?

• 1 month later...

@cloud83: I have exactly the same problem with my LockOn under Vista32, no matter which driver I use or setting I configure in Soundpanel of Vista or Mixer in LockOn. Do you have found any information or idea of how to solve or minimze this problem? Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you :)

• 2 months later...

To supouse

Well¡¡ hi folks,..

ah I am new so it will try to express me well. -

It happens that I have a similar problem with my version “1.01v Lock on gold” and my doubt was expressed in my mail so nothing else more,--- I see in the air chau :helpsmilie:. -

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
witch is better for lock on

ATI X1950 or NV GF8600GT

???

(if you somebody can please answer quickly, i hope you understand)

Actually, its a matter of personal preference here Budd.. I'm running 2 BFG 8800's in SLI.. I get very sharp clear renderings with this setup...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

There's still hope for CPU's below 5Ghz to work faster.

Will be interesting to see when this arcitecture get implemented.

The Spiral Cache.

A hint; a 45nm, 5Ghz CPU are limited by speed of light, and signal in one cycle can only access about 256KB array, because of wire length.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

AMD has Halted Development on Modular CPU Cores (Excavator/AM3+)

FX CPU's will Remain using Piledriver until 2016,

APUs will continue to use Steamroller.

AMD has Started Development of a new CPU Architecture that will rely on SMT instead of CMT.

(SMT as In HyperThreading)

Excavator could still be the next Enthusiast CPU, as the last die shot I saw, it was already vastly re-designed (compared to Piledriver/steamroller), to pretty much double up the front end components so it's essentially been converted from CVMT to SMT.

However, AMD's Info was minimum at their "Core Event" regarding this new CPU.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 year later...

Maybe an alternative to OR

FOVE: The World's First Eye Tracking Virtual Reality Headset

If it work as they say this may solve the problem with interacting the switches/buttons in cockpit...

/KC

• 1 year later...

Reference HW - As tech progresses

Hi All

Would DCS like to propose a few reference system setups that provide a guide to what possible HW setups are for the current DCS versions, and what "experience" could be resulting.

In mid 2016 "times are a changing" (VR headsets now available, new GPU (Pascal & Polaris now out), new DCS, 2.0 is very close (or out), soooooo

Im looking to replace (totally) my platform to try and go VR (Occulus Rift or Vive) and wonder what would be an interesting reference platform for high medium and or low end, and what would people expect from it in FPS at what settings etc.

From other threads I understand (which is possibly out of date, or just plain wrong) that:

1) DCS used to utilise only 2 core, but can now utilise 4 core

2) I5 v I7 doesnt seem to make a huge difference

3) RAM 16 GB is enough

4) GPU as fast as possible, but one thread said that no system would be able to maintain 90 FPS required for VR no matter what :-( but this was pre the Pascal and Polaris, so is that still the case.

5) SSD for map storage...

6) ..... what else did I miss

My interest is to be able to do VR with a headset, and that can keep up with large close formation flying such as VirtualRedArrows, in high res (settings etc).

So what does DCS recommend to get a "state of the art" experience, and what compromises need to be made so that it can be "tuned" to various budgets etc.

Happy flying

Hi All

Would DCS like to propose a few reference system setups that provide a guide to what possible HW setups are for the current DCS versions, and what "experience" could be resulting.

In mid 2016 "times are a changing" (VR headsets now available, new GPU (Pascal & Polaris now out), new DCS, 2.0 is very close (or out), soooooo

Im looking to replace (totally) my platform to try and go VR (Occulus Rift or Vive) and wonder what would be an interesting reference platform for high medium and or low end, and what would people expect from it in FPS at what settings etc.

From other threads I understand (which is possibly out of date, or just plain wrong) that:

1) DCS used to utilise only 2 core, but can now utilise 4 core

2) I5 v I7 doesnt seem to make a huge difference

3) RAM 16 GB is enough

4) GPU as fast as possible, but one thread said that no system would be able to maintain 90 FPS required for VR no matter what :-( but this was pre the Pascal and Polaris, so is that still the case.

5) SSD for map storage...

6) ..... what else did I miss

My interest is to be able to do VR with a headset, and that can keep up with large close formation flying such as VirtualRedArrows, in high res (settings etc).

So what does DCS recommend to get a "state of the art" experience, and what compromises need to be made so that it can be "tuned" to various budgets etc.

Happy flying

1&2. I5/I7 doesn't make a huge difference, but you'll want to make sure you can overclock your cpu to more than 4ghz, so make sure you get a K..

3.16GB is enough for DCS

4.not even the GTX1080 can get 90 fps indefinitely in DCS rendering everything once (on a normal monitor), never mind having to render everything twice(in VR)... excluding non-combat, unscripted, and super simple missions with not much of anything going on single-player...

5. an SSD is really required because DCS doesn't just load every asset in the game into memory when you load up the game, it loads things up as they spawn in, and then again when they come into rendering distance, so any delay, even the delay of a read head moving, does and will cause lag.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, as for 'high res' in VR, the resolution is fixed to the headset's native resolution. Of course, this isn't an issue since there is probably no hardware combination out there that will run DCS continuously at 90 fps in anything but the most empty SP missions, as Hadwell said (more or less).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

HI All

Further to above, what I am understanding from this and other forums, is that DCS at max settings will run anything into the ground.

However else where people are adding that the Rift TimeWarp feature allows a higher FPS "perceived experience", as missing/late frames will be "fudged" with theRift.

The thread was talking about flight sims generally (DCS specifically in one of the replies), and compares a Rift with a Vive.

Does anyone have any specific direct experience in this area for DCS for Rift/Vive/Razor etc?

cheers

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Good point Gos (maybe he is still keeping an eye on the forums), but i think one of these

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180325115835.htm

with that ssd would finally let us crank up all the eye candy and run 8K VR.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Good point Gos (maybe he is still keeping an eye on the forums), but i think one of these

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180325115835.htm

with that ssd would finally let us crank up all the eye candy and run 8K VR.

That Post is over a year old,

Gos is no longer with us.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have information if DCS can be run on a three-CPU/Server system (might need three DCS modules running at once). This setup is being used currently to drive three 4K 65" monitors for X-Plane (three licenses required for each CPU server rack).

Don't know if DCS can run this similar way...or if I will have to drive all three 4K monitors with one 1080Ti card (and the other two CPU's are idle).

All my searches only give information on multiplayer server setups...

• Like 1