Failing to heat Pitot...

112th_Rossi

Hi guys

I was flying a mission last night, which involved some high altitude flight. As I was climbing through 10,000ft I forgot to enable my pitot heat switch. As a result, when I was returning to base and reducing speed, my IAS indicator was all over the place causing a speed caution warning. It recovered eventually (I guess as I was at a lower altitude or something).

I am right in thinking this is what happens if you neglect the pitot heat arent I? Also, is there a way of switching to an alternate speed indication system if this happens?

Thanks.

I am right in thinking this is what happens if you neglect the pitot heat arent I?

Yes.

Also, is there a way of switching to an alternate speed indication system if this happens?

No. Just switch on the Pitot Heat and the fault will clear in a minute or so.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

If you don't heat it, and fly through moisture below zero, it can freeze over the tube. Then your ASI will will be inaccurate. So turn it on, pretty sure you would do this before takeoff. AF447 started to go wrong when the pitot froze over.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

Ground speed from GPS etc might be slightly useful, but you need to be cautious: if the winds are 100 knots at your altitude (not unusual), this could easily be the difference between stalling or exceeding red line speed.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

In level flight you should have no problem with overspeed even at full throttle, this is not Concorde :-)

During approach speed is vital. Here groundspeed can be

useful. As there normally should be headwind on final flying your normal app speed as groundspeed is on the safe side.

Also use your AOA gauge. You can perfectly fly the aircraft without any speed indication just by looking at this vital instrument.

Cheers

Edited by viethson