"Proper" landing procedure with wingman?

kharne

Can someone tell me what would be the normal procedure for landing with a wingman? In the game, if I try to land without instructing my wingman I get the endless "rejoin" message, so I usually tell my wingman to RTB first.

Would pilots normally land together? I feel like formation landing could be pretty unsafe, depending on the conditions at least. If not, what is the normal pattern/approach that I should take when my wingman lands?

I was hoping some real pilots could chime in :) Thanks everyone.

"Proper" landing patterns with wingmen aren't possible in single player. The AI & ATC just aren't clever enough.

But that said, IRL when practical (ie not in instrument conditions) the overhead break is the normal recovery method for a flight of fighter aircraft (A-10C included).

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I do not play SP very often, but it's quite possible in FC2, provided of course that you fly the proper glideslope and land on the left side of the runway:

7602d3ce.png

e0155497.png

b32fda80.png

cf1f102d.png

460681c5.png

Don't know what changed to exclude this behaviour at present in DCS - will see what I can dig up.

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It's also possible in A-10C but you need to add some speed on the final. I normally approach 155 and final 135-140 when landing with wingman. If you go slower than that the wingman either leaves or land before you.

(HJ)

Btw, why don't we have reverse thrust? :D

Why do you think you need it?;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Here is a way to do the overhead break, this may not represent exactly how they do it IRL but it gives you an idea.

You come in together and peel off one by one with an interval of maybe 5 seconds.

Edit: Sorry but this is for MP only so far since the AI won't do this, good luck!

http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

For fun, I'll tell the wingie to RTB then fly formation on him. Two problems, though, he approaches centerline and brakes impossibly fast which forces you into the weeds to avoid. Btw, why don't we have reverse thrust? :D

I do the same - giving my wingman a RTB when back to base and let him lead.

And also being very careful to stay full right with fully deployed airbrakes and also full wheel brakes to not crash with him.

...about reverse thrust - easy ,peasy:

• 10 months later...
I do not play SP very often, but it's quite possible in FC2, provided of course that you fly the proper glideslope and land on the left side of the runway:

Don't know what changed to exclude this behaviour at present in DCS - will see what I can dig up.

Any news on this? It would be nice to have the possibility to land with my wingman in DCS/FC3.

For most aircraft, in most situations, a formation landing (just like a formation take off) is not realistic. Which is why it's been removed. I dare say it'll return when the AI/ATC is improved such that it can be done properly/safely.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

For most aircraft, in most situations, a formation landing (just like a formation take off) is not realistic. Which is why it's been removed. I dare say it'll return when the AI/ATC is improved such that it can be done properly/safely.

understandable - however than it would be nice to stop AIs from landing in formation :)

understandable - however than it would be nice to stop AIs from landing in formation :)

Yes, it would.

Spoiler

Agree! If it is suposed to not land in formation then make it move further away when entering the glideslope.

Personaly I would lik it to work as it did in FC2 where I created a mission to practise formation flying with 2, 3 and 4 AI flying in close formation along a predefined route with me joining in to a defined spot. It worked great! And I also did noumerous landings with AI wingman by my side, it worked flawlessly! So ED please revice the FC2 code for this!

138th.Jack

The ATC and aircraft AI need to be extensively reworked for this.

Basically, ATC need to to control AI aircraft, and AI need to interact with ATC and AI aircraft also need to know when they can and can't perform formation takeoff and landings. It'll come eventually.

Spoiler

I do the same - giving my wingman a RTB when back to base and let him lead.

And also being very careful to stay full right with fully deployed airbrakes and also full wheel brakes to not crash with him.

...about reverse thrust - easy ,peasy:

Which also deals with the wingman very nicely. :D

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

For fun, I'll tell the wingie to RTB then fly formation on him. Two problems, though, he approaches centerline and brakes impossibly fast which forces you into the weeds to avoid. Btw, why don't we have reverse thrust? :D

Because the prototype A-10 doesn't have it? :music_whistling: However, Unless I am mistaken Civilian versions of the TF-34 (the CF-34) can be equipped with reversers.

In some cases, features like reverse thrust are not purchased when bought by the military due to expected maintenance cost. An example of this would be the KC-135A to R conversions done in the 80's/90's.

The CF-33 engines were available with reverse thrust. Cost analysis showed the cost of maintaining the TR's was going to be "X" over the life of the program. Instead of spending that money on TR's they opted to upgrade the wheel brakes from 3 rotor brakes to 5 rotor brakes.

The added cost of the bigger brakes over the life of the program was less than the cost of TR's and since they HAD to have the brakes...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.