This is bull!

Starforce is fine

Users just need to deal with it... use the tool and make the best of it.

So what if you "paid" for the product... you are not the problem... its the fools

out there that are stealing the game that make it tuff for the rest of you.

Ed and others have to do whatever it takes to protect what's theirs...

You may have paid for the product... But you did not pay to own the product

You paid to use the product based on the EULA... It's just that simple...

That's just the facts... good luck to the thread starter... IF fear you are doing

something very wrong if you ran out of activations bro!

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we don't need to deal with that! The problem is users like you, that don't care what happens to other people/customers as long as they don't have a problem!

We paid for the limitless usage of the product or where thinking that's the case! If we thought otherwise or someone said:''Look guys, you're gonna get limited activation keys, after that, you'll pay again'' we wouldn't bought the product or would waited for the CD version !!!

A lot of us paid because we thought ED is gettin more profits that way, and now it turns out, that we are a ''lesser'' customer then the one who has a CD version?!

This question was asked numerous times on both Ubi and ED's forums, before the release of FC and was never really answered from ED and now i really want an anwser - or was one just given to Buzz?

Let's clear this once and for all!

mt-2003-sun-corona.jpg

Hi all.

Out of 15 activations, I have used 1 originally and may be using another one a little after the release of 1.11. This does not effect me right now, but does have my attention.

My question:

How difficult is it to get another 15 activations? Is it a matter of physically doing this? Or, is it more of a generosity issue? Is it a matter of generating another key and emailing it to BuzzU?

Maybe this professional business representative was/is having a bad day, and felt like being "rammy". Maybe another ED Rep. who is feeling alittle more generous and does not not mind taking the time to help, could accomplish this for BuzzU?

-KILSEK

WHAT!!!

This is the final straw for me also. This is only the latest in a long line of cluster**cks that this excuse of a software developer has made.

I am not going to stay here long enough for this to happen to me. I am going to deinstall everything and toss it in the trash. Never will I buy crap from this firm again.

I feel for you Pete. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Of course be prepared for the Fanboi lashback. Those brown noses like to hunt in packs.

bye-bye!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing

Its something they should do, its just normal good business practice. Now, if people want to keep bringing up agreeing to the EULA, that's fine. If ED wants to be that way about it, well, they'll just be cutting their own throats. It doesn't matter if you have to reinstall 15 times or 50, every other manufacturer's EULA states that the software is licensed for use on that machine, they do not limit the number of times you activate that license on the same machine. If this policy doesn't change...well...ED won't be getting any more of my business. I haven't had this problem myself, but it would be nice to know that if I did, that the manufacturer would at least ACT like they were interested in keeping me as a customer. Maybe he was doing something he shouldn't have been doing, but nobody knows that and its pretty disturbing how many people so far have insinuated somebody they don't even know was attempting to do something illegal.

Buzz, the only thing I can recommend is for you to go out and buy the hard copy of FC on CD. If you live in the US it should be out in your area for about 29.99 or less because ive seen it in bargain bins. This version has infinite activations and wont get lost in a HD failure (maybe a fire lol). Most importantly, its from a different publisher so i dont think your money will be going to eagle dynamics, rather to them.

He doesn't need to explain anything!
He used all 15 activations. One of the posibilities is that he installed FC on 15 computers!

He purchased the right to use the software, not own it, but nowhere was cleary said, that it has limited usage.
Flaming Clifs does not have any limitation in usage! Please do not spread incorrect information!

And i don't expect answer from you,Veljko or GG, ...
Well, thank you for mentioning my nickname!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Spare Me!

Suntrace1... dude please... you don't know what I have had problems with.... So to type some junk about not caring is just you running your gib son. I don't need to hear that noise...

People don't like this software because it puts limits on what they can do with it. It stops you from sharing the program with people that did not buy the program.

If you jack up your activations thats on you.. You call the tech support peeps and get them to help you.... NOW before you go running to old boys side... maybe the kids at tech support have records showing that he has done this far too many times... THIS IS THEIR PROGAM TO PROTECT fellas... why is that so hard to understand...?? Yes you spent our money on it... but it was made very clear what the rules were... To help you they even created a tool to help save your activations.... So whats the problem?

Some of you are saying they need to add 15 or 20 more and do XYZ just because you paid for the program... SO PLEASE SOMEONE Tell the forum this....

When will it be okay for them to say NO MORE.. you have reached the extended limit???? Sorry you need to get another copy???

Based on what some of you have said.. there should be no limit... you the buyer should be trusted since you paid!! You should have unlimited activations... Thats crazy.... That is the ground work for of abuse of the system... Just maybe old boy that statred this thread has been doing soemthing he should not have been doing... we just don't know...

Users will expolit any opening they can... The program is locked down for a reason people... So again Deal with it...

It has nothingto do with caring about him...developers should protect what is theirs....

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

He used all 15 activations. One of the posibilities is that he installed FC on 15 computers!

Flaming Clifs does not have any limitation in usage! Please do not spread incorrect information!

Well, thank you for mentioning my nickname!

No, youre the one spreading incorrect information. Lock On downloaded version DOES have a usage limitation, and it is one of the most Basic usages there are, the ability to install the program. The only reason you should not be able to install any piece of softare is if you do not own the software or your license is already being used some where else. Im going to be sensible and say that Buzz does not have 15 computers, so he got screwed by giving ED money instead of buying it in stores.

Guest ruggbutt

If I have to go buy the hard copy after I bought the d/l, then it will be the last time I spend money on anything from ED.

No, youre the one spreading incorrect information. Lock On downloaded version DOES have a usage limitation, and it is one of the most Basic usages there are, the ability to install the program.
With all due respect sir, I do not have any problems installing Flaming Clifs! All my team mates installed FC without (m)any problem! Vast majority of the people I play with on line did not report problems! I am sure that some people are afected by StarForce protection!

I do understand that pirates are very nervous becuase of StarForce!

Im going to be sensible and say that Buzz does not have 15 computers, so he got screwed by giving ED money instead of buying it in stores.
I understand your sensibility! I am as sensible as you but I can not say how many computers he has? I don't know how and why did he blow 15 activations?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Sorry I took so long to come back. I was at work. For those that are so curious. I only have one system. No hardware changes. For reasons I don't feel like explaining. I did a lot of formats in the last few months. I also unisalled/installed LO a few times that I don't feel like explaining either.

The bottom line is I never read anywhere that we would not be able to get more activations. I didn't use the registry tool, but again it was never said that we better use it, because we're not getting anymore activations. In fact i've read just the opposite that we could get more activations.

As for who answered my mail? I didn't write to him. He just happen to answer my mail. I had no clue who I was writing to. It was the addy in the section about activations on their site, so I wrote to it. Obviously I got to someone with enough authority to tell me i'm screwed.

Not a problem. I still have F4AF and FB/PF.

Buzz

Guest IguanaKing
Suntrace1... dude please... you don't know what I have had problems with.... So to type some junk about not caring is just you running your gib son. I don't need to hear that noise...

People don't like this software because it puts limits on what they can do with it. It stops you from sharing the program with people that did not buy the program.

If you jack up your activations thats on you.. You call the tech support peeps and get them to help you.... NOW before you go running to old boys side... maybe the kids at tech support have records showing that he has done this far too many times... THIS IS THEIR PROGAM TO PROTECT fellas... why is that so hard to understand...?? Yes you spent our money on it... but it was made very clear what the rules were... To help you they even created a tool to help save your activations.... So whats the problem?

Some of you are saying they need to add 15 or 20 more and do XYZ just because you paid for the program... SO PLEASE SOMEONE Tell the forum this....

When will it be okay for them to say NO MORE.. you have reached the extended limit???? Sorry you need to get another copy???

Based on what some of you have said.. there should be no limit... you the buyer should be trusted since you paid!! You should have unlimited activations... Thats crazy.... That is the ground work for of abuse of the system... Just maybe old boy that statred this thread has been doing soemthing he should not have been doing... we just don't know...

Users will expolit any opening they can... The program is locked down for a reason people... So again Deal with it...

It has nothingto do with caring about him...developers should protect what is theirs....

Well...its their right to do this of course. But, all I'm saying is that it isn't a requirement for anybody here to "deal with it". That's the way it works. Do something that gets your paying customers upset, they stop buying from you, its that simple. Why is it crazy that you should have unlimited activations? Its pretty simple really, when the activation is done, there can be a hardware code that gets sent along with it, so, as long as that code doesn't change, you can reactivate the license. Now...if you upgrade your rig, the hardware code changes, so that requires you to deactivate the license on your old hardware before you can activate it on the new one, so you do just that, and STILL, only one installation exists for that software. Routersim does this with their Cisco router simulators, and it ensures that only one installation exists. Jeppesen also does this with their CMap software for updating Avidyne EX500's. It works quite well, so, since Starforce requires an internet connection, that is what it should be doing. What is the purpose of having on-line activation if Starforce doesn't care about the hardware code?

The point that those who are defending this practice still don't seem to get is that the consumer does NOT have to "deal with it". We simply won't buy from ED in the future. They can ride this policy right into the hole they are digging for themselves. :D

This is worrying.

I'm sure someone has the time to find posts by ED in the early stages saying that if you could demonstrate some proof of purchase they would issue you with a new activation key.

Secondly only those that purchased the first batch of activations were given an extra 10

ED. You need to clarify your position here.

There must be a reason why… maybe if starforce investigate the case in question, they can revealed that the user was using his license more then 1 computer? Without permission? Or find what, wrong doing has been done.

What do you expect? Man, 15 activation allowed, plus the utility to back up your initial reg key. Man. I’m still on my initial one. True I did used the utility to re install. They have to put a stop somewhere. Not pointing any fingers but I don’t blame them. Instead of Flaming Ed you might want to ask politely for proof of you abusing the system. If you ask politely and see that your legit in your request. I don’t see why an investigation can be arrange by starforce… Then again. Who am I? Lol

I’ve seen similar issues with a product that we sell at Bell Canada. “Aka” Freedom software. They authentificate on there server to make sure your not exceeding the license agreement. 1 License per computer, and such. There is way to find why this has happens. But asking them in a rude manner will not get you anywhere. Only the opposite. So if this stops you believing in ED…Then so be it…. I still, and lots of us still believe in this sim.

Show respect and you will get respect in return. This is my personal “Credo”

Cheers,

My 2 Canadian cents on this issue.

There must be a reason why… maybe if starforce investigate the case in question, they can revealed that the user was using his license more then 1 computer? Without permission? Or find what, wrong doing has been done.

What do you expect? Man, 15 activation allowed, plus the utility to back up your initial reg key. Man. I’m still on my initial one. True I did used the utility to re install. They have to put a stop somewhere. Not pointing any fingers but I don’t blame them. Instead of Flaming Ed you might want to ask politely for proof for you abusing the system. If you ask politely and see that your legit in your request. I don’t see why an investigation can be arrange by starforce… Then again. Who am I? Lol

I’ve seen similar issue with a product that we sell at Bell Canada. “Aka” Freedom software. They authentificate on there server to make sure your not exceeding the license agreement. 1 License per computer, and such. There is way to find why this has happens. But asking them in a rude manner will not get you anywhere. So if this stops you believing in ED…Then so be it…. I still, and lots of us still believe in this sim.

Show respect and you will get respect in return. This is my personal “Credo”

Cheers,

My 2 Canadian cents on this issue.

As I stated above. ONE system. They can investigate until they're blue in the face. Everything i've said is true.

I asked in a polite manner for more activations, and was told bluntly that I would get no more and buy the game again. You want respesct from me after that? Please show me anywhere that we would get 15 activations and then we have to buy the game again?

People who have the CD can install an infinite number of times. I paid the same money they did. Why should I be restricted?

Buzz

from here

I'd like to share my knowlegde on how "SF Active Pro" works.

basically, you'll have a product key (like XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX) and from this key you will be able to get an activation key from SF site.

in details:

1) you have purchase a product key and download setup package (product).

2) after installation of product you will start it first time.

2a) (optional) if your system has older drivers then product has, then product will update starforce drivers and will ask you for reboot.

3) if product detect his unactivated state, then it will ask you for activation (manual mode):

3a) it will ask you for a product key, which you bought with product.

3b) it will show you a machine key(PD4K3-BM6YN-UKFA7-5JBEW-3S74K), which is based on your hardware configuration and product key.

3c) you will go to SF site (http://proactive.star-force.com), enter your product key and hardware key and site will show you your activation key (like XXX456XXXX) and show you how many activations left.

4) you will enter activation key when SF will ask you.

next time you run product, it will not ask you for a activation until you significantly change your hardware.

If you choosed a manual mode of activation, then all info you sending to SF site is your product key and machine key, no personal data. SF site uses a SSL secure connection for such transactions, sertified by http://www.thawte.com.

SF also has a "automatic activation mode". In this mode it will ask you for product key and then automatically send it to SF site and get an activation key.

Product key has some interesting data encrypted. Like maximum number of activation, last possible date for activation (keys like these usually used in betatesting process, when developer want to limit usage of betatesters keys to the date of release).

All keys are unique, and all stored in database by developer or publisher, which usually contain a purchase info, so it's quite easy to indentify legal user from illegal one, when one asked for a new product key when he has no activations left.

All information above is not releated to ED personally, it's based on my experience of betatesting another company's product.

sorry for grammas, these days I'm away from my regular box and spellchecker.

From here

QUOTE=StarForce]

"What happens after we have reached 5 hardware changes limit ? We have to buy the game again or do we have to give some proof that we are original buyers."

It's not the question to us. We provide publishers with flexible activation system. It's up to them to set as many activations per serial number as they want to. In addition, it's also their decision what to do with the users which reached the limit.

Sorry I think I've been misled by the thread...To many pages, to much negative comments, lol.

So basically saying, your saying that you where only allowed 5 activation?

If that’s the case. True an investigation should be in place to confirm this issue.

Since it was posted officially that we where allowed 15.

Due hope this gets sorted out quickly.

Cheers

Starforce was kind enough to answer the following questions I had:

Q1- Can a user install FC on more than one computers with a single purchase? Some users will have multiple computers and will wish to install FC on more than one without having to purchase multiple copies. How does Starforce handle this?

A- Yes, in case if he's got several activations per his serial numbers. He can either activate all of them on one PC or on several PCs. It is up to publisher to decide how much activations each serial number allows.

Q2- What data regarding the user’s computer is sent to Starforce? The privacy advocacy users are up in arms about data regarding their computer being sent to a Starforce.

A- The collected hardware info is hashed into the hardware key. It is one-way process and it is impossible to get the hardware info back from this key. Only this key is sent while the activation.

Q3- Assuming FC uses a minimal binding (40%), will a user need to re-register if they re-format their hardrive? What if they use an imaged drive?

A- In case of re-formatting the drive following parameters could be changed: volume label (if the user changes it from the old one), Windows PID, Computer Name (if the user changes it from the old one). The re-activation will be required only in case if user change all three these parameters. Otherwise, it will not be necessary.

-Matt

Ive reformatted my own pc and only changed the Computer name and starforce has insisted on a new activation

As I stated above. ONE system. They can investigate until they're blue in the face. Everything i've said is true.

I asked in a polite manner for more activations, and was told bluntly that I would get no more and buy the game again. You want respesct from me after that? Please show me anywhere that we would get 15 activations and then we have to buy the game again?

People who have the CD can install an infinite number of times. I paid the same money they did. Why should I be restricted?

Because you bought a restricted product. ED said they might help those who needed extra keys, esp. when SF refused to function correctly and caused peopel to use up keys needlessly. Where did you see ANYTHING about ED just wholesale handing keys out because you didn't care to back'em up and you assumed that they'd just give you a new set?

They probably have to pay for each key they get, and they probably don't want everyone doing EXACTLY what you did and being innundated with key renewal requests.

Maybe if you point out to them that you've been a loyal customer since day one and that you assumed things that aren't wrong, and tell them it won't happen again, they'll consider giving you another key.

When I bought my copy I planned to keep the keys safe because I certainly wouldn't assume that I'll just get handed another set.

That's like assuming that speeding is legal because you bought a ferrari.

You are so far the -only- one as far as I can tell, who just assumed you could blow away activations and not care. I think that everyone else was aware that they may get an activation if they had a good reason.

But you didn't even try to take the slightest of precautions by your own admission. I don't like this particular business model (and it was obvious that SF wasn't keeping an online key database since a reformat of windows required a new key) but I didn't exactly buy my copy not knowing what I was going into.

Maybe you should point some of that venting at SF, too ... they -could- have come up with a better product in this case.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Only thing I want to add. Since FC is out. I’ve not seen it on the “Black Market” so basically starforce seems to be doing something right & good for the DEV.

But with all the bugs surrounding it. The question is: at What cost? The legit users seems like.

Then again like I said. I’ve not had any issues so far with my own license. But due to the trend of responses. I do ask myself …

Something has to be investigated, and it would be prudent for ED to give us an official and final response on this issue. True they don’t have too. But then again we don’t have too purchase also.

Lets just hope all for the best. I don’t want to see this going in a negative way.

Issue is not with Ed. I'm more incline that its with starfarce then anything else...

My final