To little smoke?

So there isn't any "shaders" that do that yet? :) I get it that there aren't any. What about that volumetric stuff that is being used to visualize clouds?

IMHO the Wings of Prey graphics engine is overrated in many respects, but it does have rather fantastic smoke effects and they seem to be based on a very clever puff implementation, too. What's more, the puffs aren't actually that small apparently, the textures are just done to a very high standard and are animated very convincingly. So, as Irregular programming has already demonstrated, there is a lot that can be done with this kind of smoke effect. Maybe somebody will eventually be able to "reverse-engineer" the general appearance of the WoP smoke in DCS?

http://i5.fastpic.ru/big/2010/0527/09/1d6694f7cb9f44612ba1409eec4ae309.jpg

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq273/greershane/The%20FGM/acess2010-04-1023-56-25-99.jpg

http://www.saw-paintball.at/host/aces03.png

http://www.99ddd.com/picfiles/GamesPic/EditorImage/2010-6/2/20106217115976202.jpg

http://i5.fastpic.ru/big/2010/1025/5e/60f1d56a7f2696c609473a63ee3db65e.png

+1

To add to that, some vehicles (mainly armored I suppose) should never get past that initial burning stage... They should just cook for a while :devil_2:

Agreed on both counts, some variety would not go amiss :)

That looks like it somehow randomizes the dispersion of the puffs, as well as having some variable transparency, and making sure there's never an individual puff on its own...but I don't know. I'm not versed in this sort of thing at all.

just tried that smoke mod from 'Irregular Programming", it looks pretty good!

I'll probably revert back to stock and wait to see what things look like after the Beta period, but it's nice to know smoke can be played around with.

Sorry for going a little bit OT, but is there any way to mod vehicle smoke in FC2?

Had almost forgotten I had FC2 installed since DCS Warthog came out, but now that I've been playing around with the su25t in DCS World I've been firing up FC2 again. I found a 'smoke trail' mod, but don't think that has anything to do with ground/vehicle smoke.

I'm thinking it probably can't be done (or else someone would have done it) but figured couldn't hurt to ask-

thanks!

Actualy, you can enlarge your smoke and burning time as you wish at \DCS World\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects\FireVehicle.lua

Hmmm. Tried to find the appropriate place to edit in A-10C, but couldn't find the relevant lua file. Tip?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmmm. Tried to find the appropriate place to edit in A-10C, but couldn't find the relevant lua file. Tip?

A-10 and ka-50-2 uses different smoke script (DCSA-10C\Config\Smoke\JSmoke.cfg), not compatible with FireVehicle.lua from dcs world. Although, editable neither.

JSmoke.cfg

164163872_DCS2012-04-1014-16-47-89.thumb.jpg.3c6dfa61c1353d76180fbf73108fccb2.jpg

Edited by ZMEY-HS-

I tried out the smoketrail mod for FC2, looks really good but as far as ground targets go, I don't see too much of a change (at least as far as height goes).

Was hoping the smoke would be higher maybe, any chance of that happening in FC2?

Thanks (and I can open a thread in the lock-on forum if this is too OT).

I tried out the smoketrail mod for FC2, looks really good but as far as ground targets go, I don't see too much of a change (at least as far as height goes).

Was hoping the smoke would be higher maybe, any chance of that happening in FC2?

Thanks (and I can open a thread in the lock-on forum if this is too OT).

Not going to happen i'm afraid, the best you can look forward to is FC3 where it'll share the DCS World graphics engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve just tried out both ZMEY´s and IP´s mods. While I tend to like IP´s version more, they´re both great additions / refinements effect-wise. In the corresponding .lua-files you can apparently adapt parameters for Fire1, Fire2, SmokeL etc., but I haven´t fiddled with these values yet, so I have one question:

Is there any way to have the wreckage still smoking (less) after the fire has extinguished or must the effect end at that point? I´m thinking of the old effects where you had this kind of two-stage behaviour... :music_whistling:

Also, what about those little sparks / explosions that had been added to the old effects? Those might also look nice on vehicles like tanks which carry ammunition while a simple cargo truck might not have them...

I´m just asking since we somehow have differently sized smoke columns for different types of vehicles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

• 1 month later...
I mailed Ricardo few monthes ago, but didnt get any response. I'm not greedy, but as far as it is mostly his great work, i won't release anything without his permission.

Plus, su-25 pit uses some Arma 2 textures. :D

hello,

i just discovered your great work on the 25.

As i was not able to work on it, i am happy to see that somebody dit it,

and did it well :thumbup:

I was surprised to see that you used a grey tone instead of the original blue color.

Anyway, as soon as you credit my work, you can release that mod and i will be pleased to use it for my own pleasure.:music_whistling:

cheers

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

DCS have a big problem with realism with smoke and explosions, maybe this effects will be settings for more or less realism, if the problem is stonger PC or lighter PC configuration.

DCS 2.0 and directx11 give more realism for water ? Warthunder or arma 3 have a really good effect of the sea.

I dont understand why DCS dont work better smoke, clouds or explosions; contrail ( VERY BAD EFFECT, better on F15c around winglet)

Smoke more better on other sim or games,

THESE EFFECTS ARE THE SOUL OF THE GOOD and IMMERSIVE SENSATION, WHEN I PILOT A PLANE INTO A SIM. IT'S IMPORTANT ! NOT FOR YOU ?

The future Directx12 give more power for computation, staff of DCS have plan for use the best of DirectX 12 ?

Edited by magnetic