Vikhers falling short

Hi .. had this problem in Blackshark also, I get a target locked up, laser on, get the flashing LA launch authorization, fire the missile, but it goes "dumb" and flies into the ground well short of target... but sometimes it works and flies the laser to the target. Is this a programming glitch or something I'm doing wrong? I used to think it was the AI spoofing my laser ... any comments?

I realize that this question pertains to Su25T in DCS World but they way you describe it happening in BS as well indicates that maybe you haven't activated "Ground Moving Target"? I feel that when you don't activate it, Vikhrs fall short.

Of course there is no such button available in the Su25T in DCS World, where I'm more inclined to agree with Irregular programming's conclusion. Generally, if you make a small dipping motion with the nose of the airplane just after missile release, it will catch the missile in the laser beam and hopefully guide it to the intended target :). But there are most certainly several parameters to take into account here, such as airspeed at launch and slant angle towards target etc.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

The vikhr has a sensor on the back which makes it follow the laser from your aircraft.

I wonder where in the back though. Right next to the rocket motor? :D

*Disregard that! Just searched for some more information on the Vikhr. Good stuff! Didn't know it operated that way!

Edited by MTFDarkEagle

I'm still having trouble with the vikhrs, but my other laser guided missiles work perfect. I lock target , turn laser ranging on, get the little circle in big circle , keep it steady and get steady LA launch authorization, but 95 percent of the time the missile goes dumb into the dirt.. I had this problem in the Black Shark and it was the laser overheating and failing... but in the su25t I only use the laser in short intervals, and after long intervals it flashes L after I turn it off anf it goes into cooling ..I still think it's something to do with laser....

Try locking the target again after you've switched your laser on.

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

A short track file where you start your flight and replicate the problem quickly would help us easily see if this is a problem with handling, or a bug, and if the former (which is most likely, there are a lot of pitfalls to using those missiles) what exactly it is you are doing wrong.

Text only goes so far when trying to figure out what is happening. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

At launch the Vikhr has to intercept a small laser cube (or tunnel if you will) emanating from your Shkval. If your airframe alignment is such that the Vikhr is unable to, it will go ballistic.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I had the same issues with Vikhrs tonight. After using the 29L missile and forgetting to switch off the laser the Vikhrs miss the target. Also if you fire Vikhrs once you need to manualy switch off the laser after (should be automatic for Vikhrs). Something does not work right at least. Will try to make a track.

(HJ)

One way to do it is once a target is locked, align and fire the missile. The Laser will be fired automatically. No need for one more step, i.e., firing the laser prior to firing the missile. (Edit: Yes, the Skhval system does that. But it is better, for launching at long distances, to manually lase the taget before releasing).

Also, be sure to be aligned.

One way to see this is to send your wingman to attack a target. See how he does it. He aligns, fires, and stays on the target while the missile goes all the way to the target.

It is very intense, and very dangereous. Vikhir have a smaller range than Mavericks, and you do have to stay on target all the way until they hit. And your speed goes up while doing that.

It takes practice to extend, align, trim, align again, open airbrakes, fire, guide the missile to target, hit the target, extend again.

Bu once you it is very nice. Even better with the new explosions.

Edit: reviewing the posts and re-doing the missions, I notived that the laser must be activated before the Vikhrs are launched. See below:

A track is attached. Maybe it help you out. The mission is the Instant Action Ground Attack mission. Love to fly this plane! :D

The way I do it:

- I have Sensors, Weapons, I-25 Slew, and two Autopilots modes (Attitude Hold and Transition to Level Flight) mapped to my Hotas.

- I switch back and forth between Nav and Ground modes, in order to know how far I'm from the target. I usually extend 18-20 km (more or less 10 nautical miles).

- When aligning back to target, I keep an eye on the Vertical Velocity Indicator. I try to keep it as level as I can, then engage the Attitude Hold. After that, I engage the Transition to Level Flight mode. This way I can control the aircraft before disenganging autopilot without the SU-25 going crazy on me;

- Find the target, lock the target;

- Just before getting into weapon range, I turn on the laser, disengage the autopilot, open airbrakes, reduce throttle to 80% and then start the dive. I try to keep the aircraft aligned so the small circle is inside the big circle. I do not recommend using any autopilot mode here, because you must make small corrections to keep the target aligned in the sensors;

- When I get the LA (Launch Autorized) I press and HOLD the fire button, until the Vikhr is on the way;

- Then I try to keep the circles aligned the best I can. This is when reduced power and airbrakes come in handy. They allow a better control and give you a greater stand-off distance from the target;

- Starting the run from 1,500 meters and using this tactics, I've been able to have a stand-off distance AFTER hitting the targets of about 5 km.

I really hope this helps. This is certainly not the only way to do it, nor the best way, but it has being working for me. It is very important to have the most important functions mapped to a HOTAS, because things happen very quickly in a Su-25 attack run.

Vikhr deployment.trk

Edited by RodBorza

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

had same problem last night , lock target , laser , fire , hit well short of locked target , never over shoots , thou , lol ..

HAF TOWER / MSI z77 G43 /-i5-3570k.@ 3.4mhz / GTX 780 / Patriot 8GB. DDR3 / TM-HOTAS-warthog 00228