Lighted up airports at night?

Yes i remember those tests...

screen111031211226.jpg

...and i remember, i wrote to Bob: do not open all hanger doors...no more night camouflage :D

and yes Bob, you made two omni light source connectors attached to Arg#5 ;)

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Moore's Law...it's worked pretty well so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2011.svg

It's not just about clock speeds and there have been clear and substantial increases in performance. I can't even think about trying to run these sims on aything other than an i7 now, but just 18 months ago I was doing just that on an intel dual core at the same clock speed. Albeit, performacne was much worse.

Last I read we were not keeping pace with Moore's Law due limitation of electrons moving through cooper at the speed of light.

Last I read we were not keeping pace with Moore's Law due limitation of electrons moving through cooper at the speed of light.

First, we are not computing at the speed of light. While many theories exist to achieve this, the energy required to accelerate an electron (which has mass at least part of the time) to the speed of light is unknown and by some theories may be infinite.

Secondly, Moore's law has nothing to do with the speed of an electron through a transistor. It has to do withe number of transistors in a solid state printed board.

CPU speed roughly equates to calculations per unit of time. You can increase this by increasing the speed of the calculation or increasing the number of calculations being worked on at one time (i.e. more transistors). One person working a 1,000 hours or a 1,000 people working 1 hour get the same amount of work done. However, the end product is reached quicker if the 1,000 people work simultaneously for one hour.

Generally speaking, more transistors has been the method of increasing CPU speed. It's not a linear increase, but has been close. The primary limit at the moment to increasing transistor counts has been dealing with the heat produced. So far, manufacturing is allowing smaller and smaller die sizes that are alleviating that and allowing barriers to be overcome slowly.

Edited by ESzczesniak

i dont do code,or light tests ect ect, but you guys are talking about maxing out a CPU with the lights,

1~just have 1 light cover 2 or three parking spaces,

2~i get more fps at night with 20+ AI takingoff/landing,since someone said that village lights are textures and not sources,thats less loading,and the only actual lights are the blue/yellow ones and the ones from planes, textures dont load that far,i really doubt youll max out a CPU only at Night with a max of 18 parking spaces thats 6 light sources that are not from the heavens, but from a crappy light bulb thats 9.99(a dim light)

3~the DCS engine should not be pushed to its limits already,espesily with lights, i saw a Mod that had exactly what im talking about(but for the life of me i cant find it), and it also improved the A10c landing lights for more realism,their is Always a way.

6 lights over the parking zones shouldn't max my CPU, airports arnt next to each toher, your not goign to see it from another airport,have a view distance same as other normal lights, anyone want to model a big light post that has a X shaped light on the top, its just for looks so their not ufos or somthin

see this is abit easier to land in if the airports were like this

2.thumb.jpg.10556da30a3bd7d34ae00e2b7b7936c3.jpg

Edited by Soulres

... CPU speed roughly equates to calculations per unit of time. You can increase this by increasing the speed of the calculation or increasing the number of calculations being worked on at one time (i.e. more transistors). One person working a 1,000 hours or a 1,000 people working 1 hour get the same amount of work done. However, the end product is reached quicker if the 1,000 people work simultaneously for one hour...

Agree, but there is much work to do up to synchronize the calculations done between the AI, Gfx, sound, inputs,... There is also a huge pan of code to rework (I'm not dev but I assume the DCS core code was develloped with the antique Lomac code as basis. And I guess it was not intended to be multicore).

Anyway, things are going slow (consumer point of view) but in the good direction. Sure, there is a gap between x-plane promo pic shown above and DCS Gfx but the main goal of the sim is to simulate the aircrafts at there best, and eventually to render them well. But things are not that bad, just look in the 'DCS photos / printscreen' thread and you can admire some beautifully rendered aircrafts, with reflexion, sun glare,...

But that's right, by night, lighting is a pain...

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Anyway, things are going slow (consumer point of view) but in the good direction. Sure, there is a gap between x-plane promo pic shown above and DCS Gfx but the main goal of the sim is to simulate the aircrafts at there best,

But that's right, by night, lighting is a pain...

i think DCS is more beautiful and better in perspective and depth with their world,but at night,just seems odd that if the airport is empty i land between DIM blue lines,but if the airport has planes on it, Taxi lights LIGHT UP the entire airport,in the picturer i provided from the actual game, its really hard to see any lights what so ever besides other aircraft lights. i used the picture from Xplane because that is also a game with airplanes that has landing lights at night,set up right. the game can handle adding afew more lights to airports,cause i dont get a single fps drop with 18 planes waiting to take off,lights on,while my plane,and 12 other planes are circling over head waiting in Queue to land.i dont think i am the only person who will do a mission going from starting the plane up,delivering your payload and coming home hopefully with battle damage to make things very intresting and to land with it intact and park it. and better airport lights is one of those things thatd make it look better,

Screen_120601_145927.thumb.jpg.26a2be35422c1525021b2f4904f78679.jpg

Edited by Soulres

When you look at a real airport at night, it usually looks like a dark hole in an otherwise brightly lit area. The runway lights, approach lights, and taxiway lights are not generally visible from above.

The first thing you see when approaching an airport are the ramp/terminal floodlights. Those things are bright, and can be seen for 30 miles on a clear night.

The DCS screenshot is actually very realistic, minus the excessively bright aircraft lights.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

About multithreading again, see following quotes both dated 22-03-2010

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=856322&postcount=43

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=855822&postcount=28

looks like they are looking into it , but yes.. it takes time.

Edited by diveplane

• 1 year later...

Is there anyway someone could post some additional information about the light effects, I have a light tower, but need help getting it to shine focused light.

how expensive can lighting be in terms of CPU / GPU cost?

Some of it can be VERY expensive. And indeed, I'm slowly starting to think that the problems with stuttering and/or low FPS I've had so far have actually _all_ been lighting-related somehow:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2002755&postcount=5

Just a hunch though. But still...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.