Combined Forces!

jmod

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it was stated that we won't be able to control multi-unit SAMs (i.e. SA-10), but is this set in stone?

I think it would be kind of fun to at least allow a human to control most SAM units on a side to replicate full on IADS since I've seen it stated the AI doesn't really do that.... provided of course that the HQ units required for such connectivity still exist.

Multiple humans controlling multiple sam units via VOIP would be awesome. >:)

they are still developing it , and after the beta is released, and then the release version is released, they'll still continue to develop features for it..

so...never say never...the potential is there for almost anything...

...the potential is there for almost anything...

Quite so. Imagine the possibilities for 3rd Party Ground-Unit development.

@any Third-Parties contemplating development: I am willing and able to throw my payday wallet at a decent Pantsir-S1 module..........just sayin' :vertag:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

dont release untill end of the month hehe, just got a new car and cant afford to feed myself let alone but a new module, and it will be hard to wait for payday if its already out =(

isn't it physically possible to go without eating for ~5 days?? :D

If you survive wth no water for 5 days,I'll buy you this modules and all the ones to come.

I don't think I'll have to...

Surviving is "easy". Up to two weeks without water, depending on personal characteristics and of course the environment.

Now, this is specifically survival. It won't be pleasant, and you'll probably need medical attention at the end, but you can survive. I've seen cases where centenaries survived for more than a week, stuck in earthquake debris in arid areas.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'd imagine much longer. I managed 3 whilst doing physical work (although I made sure to drink things with some calorific content). I had really bad toothache and couldn't chew and didn't have time to buy soup or painkillers.

Moses didi it for 40 days! :joystick:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Guest Izoul123

Combined Arms is looking like a dream come true!!

Things unclear/potential bubble busters regarding how it will all play out communication/strategy wise:

I still am not clear on how everyone 'communicates/receives orders' on what to do. How will the guy who chooses to drive in a tank understand the 'big picture' of what the commander is telling him to do and why vs just who knows, some 12 year old telling me to 'drive here' on the map randomly? People won't follow orders in online games unless they have a clear understanding of why they should assist/follow the order, and even then there is little 'control' of their actions to follow orders/if any. From my experience most players just do randomly whatever they want ignoring everything else unfortunately. Part of this is fault in the simulation design. If there is no clear understanding of how/why you are getting an order, what is going to persuade you to follow it vs just driving/flying off randomly to kill whatever target 'you' think you want vs what the commander and JTAC is trying to tell you to do?

What my understanding is of the ground vehicles, is that they are probably more akin to say BattleField franchise where 1 player controls the entire machine for driving/simultaneous fire controls with a simple point, click, fire simple FPS type style, correct? How is the interface for communicating with everyone going to work short of a chat-box?

What is going to be the 'control factor' I guess that would keep that player who just jumped into whatever AA ground unit from just randomly driving towards the next FOB/close enemy airbase vs actually understanding where to drive to, who to stay next to, where to fire, actual simulation tactics etc...vs just mindless 'get in the tank, drive to enemy, press fire button, hope for kill, maybe die, re-spawn mentality IE: Battlefield/modern 'war' arcade style games?

I realize one way is obviously having private closed servers where everyone is agreeing on certain roles and things can be done on team-speak or vent. I was more wondering how a new user/casual user who doesn't want to join an 'official clan/squad' would be able to join a multiplayer game, and still have a clear understanding of how to interact/assume direction from commander to actually sincerely help the team vs just jumping in unit x, checking the map, and point vehicle to direction of next nearest enemy. Hope that makes sense. Or will it just me mayhem on public/open servers where people do whatever they want as there is no efficient way to communicate what needs to be done?

If I'm joining a server and I chose to play a CAS slot in the A10 for example, how do I receive information from JTAC or the Commander or whoever? Would be nice to see more in depth of how the orders get transferred from each player/how it all interacts, short of course one guy in vent barking orders as a commander, and a few more as JTAC? What if you don't want to be on someone's private voice server but still wish to interact/play in a 'simulation' style to aid everyone vs just 'get in whatever you want & kill stuff because that's faster/easier'?

CA looks so amazing, but again the logistics of how it will play out in reality due to human nature of how people play/understand what to do worries me. BattleField 2's commander mode was excellent, only when people actually in the squad obeyed/understood and followed orders. Scenarios like ARMA and even Joint OPS in the day had so much potential, but the reality was that it turned into just a giant arcade game more than it was simulation as there was no clear way to 'strategize/follow through' on any of it. You just had to hope for the best that you'd get on a team with strategic players vs 'Rambo' players.

Any chance of elaborating more on how recon work?? If I'm at high alt in my A10, and I spot something in my TGP, how do I send my SOI to the commander or whoever on the team? Or does it just automatically show those unit(s) I have locked to everyone on the F10 map? Or do I have to sadly make friends with random people on their team-speak server to do it? I hope it's not the later, no offense. I understand how to do it in multiplayer with the A10 as is setting group id's and broadcasting my SPI, but how will I send that to a commander, JTAC, or tank on the ground?

My dream ideal would be that we would have some form of radio commutations that are akin to the current system with the AI, but instead is being transmitted to the actual human player that way.

To me this would be awesome. I'm not much for Vent/Teamspeak really as to me it seems to ruin immersion more, and I'm somewhat anti social, I don't want to hear how some guy's day went or his wife yelling in the background while someone is talking about how the Cowboys are gonna do this year. It always seems to drift into a chat server. I hate that as it ruins immersion for me. I'd rather have a system built into the simulation that allows for efficient communication for actual objectives vs trying to be part of some group of guys' private chat group.

Maybe this would make more sense, long story short version, how would a deaf player be able to join a open CA game, and still be able to directly/clearly understand what to do? Would love to see how the UI works on this aspect.

Either way it's all in the right direction and looks great!!!!! I just think I may have to high of hopes right now...I'll read more and wait patiently I guess......

Edited by Izoul123

Well you can make the game, but you can't force people to play it a certain way. It's just gonna be the way it is. Maybe public servers won't be so bad, I don't really know if the DCS community would have a hard time playing the right way or not. And as you've said in your post, it isn't as if you can't play the game in as realistic a manor as possible, it is just that you chose not to. I understand, sure, I am lazy too. The deaf person in this case may just not be able to play.

Combined Arms is looking like a dream come true!!

Things unclear/potential bubble busters regarding how it will all play out communication/strategy wise:

I still am not clear on how everyone 'communicates/receives orders' on what to do. How will the guy who chooses to drive in a tank understand the 'big picture' of what the commander is telling him to do and why vs just who knows, some 12 year old telling me to 'drive here' on the map randomly? People won't follow orders in online games unless they have a clear understanding of why they should assist/follow the order, and even then there is little 'control' of their actions to follow orders/if any. From my experience most players just do randomly whatever they want ignoring everything else unfortunately. Part of this is fault in the simulation design. If there is no clear understanding of how/why you are getting an order, what is going to persuade you to follow it vs just driving/flying off randomly to kill whatever target 'you' think you want vs what the commander and JTAC is trying to tell you to do?

What my understanding is of the ground vehicles, is that they are probably more akin to say BattleField franchise where 1 player controls the entire machine for driving/simultaneous fire controls with a simple point, click, fire simple FPS type style, correct? How is the interface for communicating with everyone going to work short of a chat-box?

What is going to be the 'control factor' I guess that would keep that player who just jumped into whatever AA ground unit from just randomly driving towards the next FOB/close enemy airbase vs actually understanding where to drive to, who to stay next to, where to fire, actual simulation tactics etc...vs just mindless 'get in the tank, drive to enemy, press fire button, hope for kill, maybe die, re-spawn mentality IE: Battlefield/modern 'war' arcade style games?

I realize one way is obviously having private closed servers where everyone is agreeing on certain roles and things can be done on team-speak or vent. I was more wondering how a new user/casual user who doesn't want to join an 'official clan/squad' would be able to join a multiplayer game, and still have a clear understanding of how to interact/assume direction from commander to actually sincerely help the team vs just jumping in unit x, checking the map, and point vehicle to direction of next nearest enemy. Hope that makes sense. Or will it just me mayhem on public/open servers where people do whatever they want as there is no efficient way to communicate what needs to be done?

If I'm joining a server and I chose to play a CAS slot in the A10 for example, how do I receive information from JTAC or the Commander or whoever? Would be nice to see more in depth of how the orders get transferred from each player/how it all interacts, short of course one guy in vent barking orders as a commander, and a few more as JTAC? What if you don't want to be on someone's private voice server but still wish to interact/play in a 'simulation' style to aid everyone vs just 'get in whatever you want & kill stuff because that's faster/easier'?

CA looks so amazing, but again the logistics of how it will play out in reality due to human nature of how people play/understand what to do worries me. BattleField 2's commander mode was excellent, only when people actually in the squad obeyed/understood and followed orders. Scenarios like ARMA and even Joint OPS in the day had so much potential, but the reality was that it turned into just a giant arcade game more than it was simulation as there was no clear way to 'strategize/follow through' on any of it. You just had to hope for the best that you'd get on a team with strategic players vs 'Rambo' players.

Any chance of elaborating more on how recon work?? If I'm at high alt in my A10, and I spot something in my TGP, how do I send my SOI to the commander or whoever on the team? Or does it just automatically show those unit(s) I have locked to everyone on the F10 map? Or do I have to sadly make friends with random people on their team-speak server to do it? I hope it's not the later, no offense. I understand how to do it in multiplayer with the A10 as is setting group id's and broadcasting my SPI, but how will I send that to a commander, JTAC, or tank on the ground?

My dream ideal would be that we would have some form of radio commutations that are akin to the current system with the AI, but instead is being transmitted to the actual human player that way.

To me this would be awesome. I'm not much for Vent/Teamspeak really as to me it seems to ruin immersion more, and I'm somewhat anti social, I don't want to hear how some guy's day went or his wife yelling in the background while someone is talking about how the Cowboys are gonna do this year. It always seems to drift into a chat server. I hate that as it ruins immersion for me. I'd rather have a system built into the simulation that allows for efficient communication for actual objectives vs trying to be part of some group of guys' private chat group.

Maybe this would make more sense, long story short version, how would a deaf player be able to join a open CA game, and still be able to directly/clearly understand what to do? Would love to see how the UI works on this aspect.

Either way it's all in the right direction and looks great!!!!! I just think I may have to high of hopes right now...I'll read more and wait patiently I guess......

I'm no expert, but I agree with what you are worried about..

It is actually exactly the same issue with multiplayer gaming in this environment as has existed for many years...

the quality of the gaming depends on the quality of the gamers!

ED don't have the resources to automate and make the interfaces to the game work in all cases for all types...so it is up to the user to do so..

This is the nature of a "sandbox" environment.

for me, pub drop-in style gaming has never really worked for ED flight sims .... there is both a Tactical and Strategic level of knowledge needed for each and every engagement that is beyond the casual "drop in and fly for 15 mins" guys.

Mission designers have tried their best to mitigate this by having constant message updates as to the "sate of play" for ground pounders (for eg)...but this is no substitute for true SA.

This is not just an ED problem though...other tactical games have exactly the same problem (take ArmaII for eg) ..

so anyway,

my thoughts are,

CA will be BRILLIANT for organised matches / events, as it allows the "game master" to control the environment in response to what is going on without the poor mission designer having to script / trigger for every little posibility.

however CA will not work in a pub environment in general, beyond air-quake

I'm no expert, but I agree with what you are worried about..

It is actually exactly the same issue with multiplayer gaming in this environment as has existed for many years...

the quality of the gaming depends on the quality of the gamers!

ED don't have the resources to automate and make the interfaces to the game work in all cases for all types...so it is up to the user to do so..

This is the nature of a "sandbox" environment.

for me, pub drop-in style gaming has never really worked for ED flight sims .... there is both a Tactical and Strategic level of knowledge needed for each and every engagement that is beyond the casual "drop in and fly for 15 mins" guys.

Mission designers have tried their best to mitigate this by having constant message updates as to the "sate of play" for ground pounders (for eg)...but this is no substitute for true SA.

This is not just an ED problem though...other tactical games have exactly the same problem (take ArmaII for eg) ..

so anyway,

my thoughts are,

CA will be BRILLIANT for organised matches / events, as it allows the "game master" to control the environment in response to what is going on without the poor mission designer having to script / trigger for every little posibility.

however CA will not work in a pub environment in general, beyond air-quake

I'm not sure this is something that can be designed for, ever. If ED could program something that magically enabled instant and easy cooperation between random players who really have no interest in talking to each other, every military in the world would be clobbering them with contract requests.

Instead I think there's a very good reason people spend years training to do this kind of stuff in the real world, and there's no easy way around it even in a computer game. If you want to avoid the free-for-all in online play, all you need to do is join a virtual squadron or found your own with some like-minded players.

• Like 1