Combined Forces!

jmod

I think part of the problem will be mitigated by the fact that this type of title has a very specific audience. You're not going to have your average 12 y/o bug mom and dad for money for this game because they most likely have never heard of it. Even then, they should quickly lose interest. I don't think a lot of those "What key switches targets?" people stuck around in A-10C that long. They either learned how to do it properly, or stopped playing altogether.

General anarchy will still be a problem from time to time but I don't think it'll be that bad.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General anarchy will still be a problem from time to time but I don't think it'll be that bad.

My comment about 20 pages ago still stands.

I see a lot of locked MP servers in the future.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I hope they put British and German Tanks!

Germany has got the Challenger and the Marder while the UK has the Warrior IFV. And no doubt they'll be drivable if that's all you're worried about. ;)

My comment about 20 pages ago still stands.

Not if all Squad and Server admins utilise the already existing Community infrastructure that exists in the Commander's Round Table to strategise and look after all aspects of the MP environment.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Not if all Squad and Server admins utilise the already existing Community infrastructure that exists in the Commander's Round Table to strategise and look after all aspects of the MP environment.

Riiiiight!:P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Riiiiight!:P

It has worked before. As with all things, if you're willing to put in the effort you will reap the reward. Cannot complain while sitting idle. Can even utilise the existing forum structure - Multiplayer Server Administration for discussions. It is up to us the Community to ensure that a decent MP infrastructure exists :)

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Is there some marine extension planed? shouldn't be to complicated to set way points for ships right?

Maybe even some ego perspective of board guns or ship missile launchers? :)

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

how am i going to park all these tanks/apcs on my front lawn?? :smartass:

Parallel.;)

Combined Arms is looking like a dream come true!!

Things unclear/potential bubble busters regarding how it will all play out communication/strategy wise:

I still am not clear on how everyone 'communicates/receives orders' on what to do. How will the guy who chooses to drive in a tank understand the 'big picture' of what the commander is telling him to do and why vs just who knows, some 12 year old telling me to 'drive here' on the map randomly? People won't follow orders in online games unless they have a clear understanding of why they should assist/follow the order, and even then there is little 'control' of their actions to follow orders/if any. From my experience most players just do randomly whatever they want ignoring everything else unfortunately. Part of this is fault in the simulation design. If there is no clear understanding of how/why you are getting an order, what is going to persuade you to follow it vs just driving/flying off randomly to kill whatever target 'you' think you want vs what the commander and JTAC is trying to tell you to do?

What my understanding is of the ground vehicles, is that they are probably more akin to say BattleField franchise where 1 player controls the entire machine for driving/simultaneous fire controls with a simple point, click, fire simple FPS type style, correct? How is the interface for communicating with everyone going to work short of a chat-box?

What is going to be the 'control factor' I guess that would keep that player who just jumped into whatever AA ground unit from just randomly driving towards the next FOB/close enemy airbase vs actually understanding where to drive to, who to stay next to, where to fire, actual simulation tactics etc...vs just mindless 'get in the tank, drive to enemy, press fire button, hope for kill, maybe die, re-spawn mentality IE: Battlefield/modern 'war' arcade style games?

I realize one way is obviously having private closed servers where everyone is agreeing on certain roles and things can be done on team-speak or vent. I was more wondering how a new user/casual user who doesn't want to join an 'official clan/squad' would be able to join a multiplayer game, and still have a clear understanding of how to interact/assume direction from commander to actually sincerely help the team vs just jumping in unit x, checking the map, and point vehicle to direction of next nearest enemy. Hope that makes sense. Or will it just me mayhem on public/open servers where people do whatever they want as there is no efficient way to communicate what needs to be done?

If I'm joining a server and I chose to play a CAS slot in the A10 for example, how do I receive information from JTAC or the Commander or whoever? Would be nice to see more in depth of how the orders get transferred from each player/how it all interacts, short of course one guy in vent barking orders as a commander, and a few more as JTAC? What if you don't want to be on someone's private voice server but still wish to interact/play in a 'simulation' style to aid everyone vs just 'get in whatever you want & kill stuff because that's faster/easier'?

CA looks so amazing, but again the logistics of how it will play out in reality due to human nature of how people play/understand what to do worries me. BattleField 2's commander mode was excellent, only when people actually in the squad obeyed/understood and followed orders. Scenarios like ARMA and even Joint OPS in the day had so much potential, but the reality was that it turned into just a giant arcade game more than it was simulation as there was no clear way to 'strategize/follow through' on any of it. You just had to hope for the best that you'd get on a team with strategic players vs 'Rambo' players.

Any chance of elaborating more on how recon work?? If I'm at high alt in my A10, and I spot something in my TGP, how do I send my SOI to the commander or whoever on the team? Or does it just automatically show those unit(s) I have locked to everyone on the F10 map? Or do I have to sadly make friends with random people on their team-speak server to do it? I hope it's not the later, no offense. I understand how to do it in multiplayer with the A10 as is setting group id's and broadcasting my SPI, but how will I send that to a commander, JTAC, or tank on the ground?

My dream ideal would be that we would have some form of radio commutations that are akin to the current system with the AI, but instead is being transmitted to the actual human player that way.

To me this would be awesome. I'm not much for Vent/Teamspeak really as to me it seems to ruin immersion more, and I'm somewhat anti social, I don't want to hear how some guy's day went or his wife yelling in the background while someone is talking about how the Cowboys are gonna do this year. It always seems to drift into a chat server. I hate that as it ruins immersion for me. I'd rather have a system built into the simulation that allows for efficient communication for actual objectives vs trying to be part of some group of guys' private chat group.

Maybe this would make more sense, long story short version, how would a deaf player be able to join a open CA game, and still be able to directly/clearly understand what to do? Would love to see how the UI works on this aspect.

Either way it's all in the right direction and looks great!!!!! I just think I may have to high of hopes right now...I'll read more and wait patiently I guess......

In a perfect world (and I know I'm probably dreaming here) there would be a built in voice chat system that could be effected by events in-game, such as strikes against communications structures. You'd get a mission plan when you start but if your radio goes down for whatever reason, you'd be in the dark and just have to wing it as best you could.

• Like 1

Germany has got the Challenger and the Marder while the UK has the Warrior IFV. And no doubt they'll be drivable if that's all you're worried about. ;)

Yessssssssssssss just like ArmA 2 CO!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Germany has no Challengers, not here, not on real life.

Ahh, woops! Thanks for the correction!

I meant to say Leopard, I swear! Scared myself for a minute there.:megalol:

Edited by Opoch

• 2 weeks later...

Although you will never completely get rid of trolls and grievers, based on the type of people DCS attracts, I think you will have an increased chance of having cooperative, collaborative and strategically minded people playing and working together. The sheer complexity of DCS in and of itself is a check and balance against immature and naive players.

One of the most important things will be the implementation of voice chat, as voice chat personalises the cooperative experience and makes collaboration on plans a lot easier.

The chain of command will not be as important as groups of people working together to share a common goal. If people think they can order people around and tell them what to do by ordering them around like a simple military unit, then this will increase the chance of intra-team sabotage as nobody respects a hierarchy and close minded ways of thinking.

Instead what I hope happens is that various squadrons and ground commanders come together (like groups of independent mercenaries) to share and collaborate on plans together and merge their wants from the game into a single cooperative and collaborative agenda while respecting how other players want to play the game.

jbkx8q2rBzF7nJ.jpg

... Was that a woman?

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

To respond on the worry's that players dont want to communicate and just go lonewolf...

I wish them good luck on finding any targets on these huge maps. You can get away with lonewolfing in bf3 and even Arma 2/3. But i think on DCS kind of maps its going to be very hard to find any targets if your not a team player. The lonewolfers will quickly leave after going into the wrong direction for the 3th time. Just dont give them to much map markers so they can find everything by themself.

And what are they going to do with their loneley tank after they leave the safety of the SAM/AAA defence. It will be the perfect prey for a happy flight of DCS A-10 pilots. Nice target practice :)

They will find out that war can be very boring and turning them into wrecks in a split second without ever spotting the threat.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Not if i'm in that team. I will conquer DCS world by myself in my T-55 and my lonewolf team supporting me. :P

This will be cool, because the hot shot A-10C drivers will probably be circling around on the wrong side of the map trying to find out why they can't plug MGRS coords into their CDU when it is in LL mode :P

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.