Virtual Patriots - L-39 External Test In DCS World

Blaze

More progress! :)

Instruments

ADI:

* Longitudinal acceleration affects pitch attitude

* Slip/turn affect roll attitude. Roll lags the aircraft and precesses during turns. On roll-out roll will be slightly off-center, but self-correcting.

* Gyros accumulate error during maneuvers, but largely self-correcting

* Will topple if aircraft flown in a gyro-abusing manner

Directional Gyro (Heading Indicator):

* Gyro drift

* Gyro accumulates error with maneuvering

* Gyro can be made effectively useless if aircraft flown hard

* NOT YET IMPLEMENTED: additional drift due to latitude

Turn Coordinator:

* Arguably a useless instrument

* Correct behavior on the ground

* Swings wildly in the breeze (broken models only) :D

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple years ago I started designing a physical L-39 pit, which I still work on from time to time. Talked to the Patriot's primary A&P (His name is escaping me, and I'm horribly embarrassed...he was a Vietnam F-106 pilot.) and he invited me out for the day to measure the cockpits in the flying L-39s. Other than a minor uhoh moment of stepping into an unpinned hot seat, was amazing. I have 300 odd hi def photos laying around detailing my measurements. Absolutely one of my favorite days EVER.

The Patriot's home plate is about 45 minutes from my hometown. I've still been looking for a privately owned L-39 to get to fly in one of these days.

Couple years ago I started designing a physical L-39 pit, which I still work on from time to time. Talked to the Patriot's primary A&P (His name is escaping me, and I'm horribly embarrassed...he was a Vietnam F-106 pilot.) and he invited me out for the day to measure the cockpits in the flying L-39s. Other than a minor uhoh moment of stepping into an unpinned hot seat, was amazing. I have 300 odd hi def photos laying around detailing my measurements. Absolutely one of my favorite days EVER.

The Patriot's home plate is about 45 minutes from my hometown. I've still been looking for a privately owned L-39 to get to fly in one of these days.

Awesome! You should come out and visit the new hangar sometime. We'll probably be out there once or twice this year climbing over the jets to get every last detail.

I believe you are talking about the legendary L-39 Guru, Ed Daley. We have brought him on as a technical resource on anything we would ever want to know! :D.

Awesome! You should come out and visit the new hangar sometime. We'll probably be out there once or twice this year climbing over the jets to get every last detail.

I believe you are talking about the legendary L-39 Guru, Ed Daley. We have brought him on as a technical resource on anything we would ever want to know! :D.

I need to! I'm originally from Walnut Creek, but nowadays I'm down in Sierra Vista, AZ for work....I do get back there about once or twice a year to see the folks. Didn't even know you got a new hanger...awesome!

That was his name! Ed. :doh: Amazing resource, and seeing his MIG-17 up close was jaw dropping...especially with the engine exposed and realizing that basically they were strapping a human on the front of one REALLY BIG afterburner. I hope to get to chat again with him. L-39 is still my favorite airplane flying, and I need to get a better job so I can have one of my own. :megalol:

@L-39 Team:

nice! I never noticed that DCS supports shader with fresnel/falloff reflection.

Or did you script that yourself?

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

@L-39 Team:

nice! I never noticed that DCS supports shader with fresnel/falloff reflection.

As far as I'm aware it is all part of the sim! Some of Blaze's magic might be in there too, though. ;) Blaze will have to answer that (if he wants ;) ).

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

Whaaat? That never happens. :D

/shameless plugs

...maybe ;)

screen120628082615.jpg

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

:) reminds me to that Argentinean jet that almost killed people (and his engine) flying 2 feet over ground.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Yet more progress!! :D :D

PRESSURIZATION

* Atmospheric pressure model

* Cabin pressure model

* Cabin rate controller limits cabin rate

* Residual pressure on ground with canopy sealed/positive pressure on ground with accurate pressurization/depressurization rates

* Differential pressure reacts correctly to cabin pressure and aircraft altitude

* Positive and negative safety valves implemented

* Canopy seals and leak rates implemented

* Parasitic pressure leakage modeled

I think that is all! :D

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

Subs, blow the image up (double click on it) and you'll see that it's a low-light shot (night-time) and the detail is in the cockpit ambient lighting ... it's flawless IMO.

Thanks dude nice work Blaze that looks very good. Nice to see the progress so far this aircraft will rock in DCS.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Hi tango. Do u think is possible make a long list of user countries skins, like beczl with the Mig-21. Will be great for the user of the l-39, flying having the own flag. I am cuban, please do not forget the cuban skin!!

L-39_S1.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi pepin1234,

It is too early to say which skins will be included. It depends on a few things, including permission to include the skin in the package. We shall certainly note it however! :)

Best regards,

Tango.

AIR DATA

* Determination of static and dynamic pressure from first principles

* Air density calculation

* Mach calculation

* Airspeed derived from static and dynamic pressures

* Airspeed error due to density (altitude and/or temperature)

* Compressibility effects and "ram rise" by modelling adiabatic compression using the first law of thermodynamics

* Airspeed error due to AoA and slip angle

* IAS position error precisely matches the L-39 profile

* Complete modelling of static and pitot system with all consumers connected to the relevant system(s)

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • Like 1

ALTIMETER

* Connected to static system

* Correct failure behavior

VSI

* Correct failure behavior

ASI