DCS: Tornado possible?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ok the tornado can operate from rough terrain roads and short runways:)

It can? O.o

As far as my aged memory serves the only RAF Fast Jet Aircraft cleared to operate from rough strips and / or roads were the Harrier and Jaguar. There were plans to operate Tonka's from certain sections of Autobahn in Western Germany but certainly nothing less.

Tornado was designed with (STOL) short takeoff and landing characteristics in mind. With the wing sweep and also the thrust reversing buckets it is able to achieve this.:)

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Tornado was designed with (STOL) short takeoff and landing characteristics in mind. With the wing sweep and also the thrust reversing buckets it is able to achieve this.:)

Not sure how wing sweep makes the Tonka STOL and it's thrust reverse buckets hardly get it to stop quick!!!;)

Not sure how wing sweep makes the Tonka STOL and it's thrust reverse buckets hardly get it to stop quick!!!;)

The variable geometry wing lowers it's landing speed, and thrust reversing technology brings all aircraft to a stop quicker. :)

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

The variable geometry wing lowers it's landing speed, and thrust reversing technology brings all aircraft to a stop quicker. :)

Either way it most definitely isn't a STOL aircraft like the harrier and always needs a large runway to operate from. As for wing sweep, wasn't that a design factor so the aircraft can go quicker not slower, that's what the flaps and slats are for. As for thrust reverse, there's only so much of that you can do in a Tornado before you re-ingest the exhaust gases (not good).

Harrier was STOVL. Short take off vertical landing. But trust me tornado was designed with STOL in mind but if you don't want to take my word for it take a look online. If memory serves me correct it was a request of design by Germany more so than the British. The wing enables the tornado to fly faster but also improves low speed handling as well. With the wings swept fully forward and full slats and flaps deployed the tornado has quite a slow approach speed. It certainly couldn't land at such a slow speed with the wings swept aft. And if the thrust reversing had limited effect I don't see why they were added to the design and why they are used.

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

It's great to hear that the Tornado is actually on the roadmap. It's my overall favorite AC and i can't wait to get my hands on that thing. :joystick:

But that announcement leads to two questions on my side:

- Since the Tornado is a two seater, i wonder how you VEAO guys will implement that? (multicrew? MP/SP?)

- My 2nd question is about the variants of the Tornado. Will the british GR1 be the only variant beeing developed or is there a chance for the german IDS variant since I'm much more interested in that?

Anyways, I'm really looking forward for this cold war masterpiece comming to DCS (in a playable version of course). Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'd love to know if the terrain following radar will be modelled Chris Pman?:smilewink:

I think they are going to get fed up with my tornado questions. It's all to early for them to say I think I would imagine they are really busy with existing/current projects. But you make a good point about the back seat, maybe we shall get an idea when we purchase the hawk in how the rear seat will be implemented. I think that we are able to access the rear seat in the veao hawk aren't we unless I'm mistaken?

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

I don't really know anything about the Hawk apart from that it is a trainer AC which makes it uninteresting for me. But that also means that the back seat just duplicates the controls of the front seat. In the Tornado on the other hand the two seats are totally different. While the front seat is for the pilot with the respective controls, gauges and displays the back seat is for the WSO (weapons system officer) and has totally different controls and displays to provide an efficent work share between the two crewman. So it won't be possible to just make the back seat optional like it is the case with the co-pilot in the Huey.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

LOL....ChrisPman. Say it fast :lol:

.....I'll get my coat.

Crispy Man?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

LOL....ChrisPman. Say it fast :lol:

.....I'll get my coat.

Hmm, I feel I may have inadvertently started something.....

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

I'd love to know if the terrain following radar will be modelled Chris Pman?:smilewink:

I think they are going to get fed up with my tornado questions. It's all to early for them to say I think I would imagine they are really busy with existing/current projects. But you make a good point about the back seat, maybe we shall get an idea when we purchase the hawk in how the rear seat will be implemented. I think that we are able to access the rear seat in the veao hawk aren't we unless I'm mistaken?

Just to touch on the backseat question

You will be able to yes, but it won't be a feature that comes straight away at the point of the public beta it's something that will come later down the road.

All the other points it's too early to give too many details of the Tornado as it is not in active development yet

Pman