why does my HUD look off center?

neroroxxx

You didn't pay close attention to what this guy said and you are mixing up things.

He talks about aligning the heading with the runway and keeping the wings level with the aileron (which is again a slip) during landing a few meters above the runway , not the approach!

He is flying a nice crabbed approach without any use of the rudder and he nicely demonstrates how to push off the crab angle during the flare.

If you look closely you will see that the slip ball doesn't move until the flare because he's adjusting the heading during the approach (by banking) with the ailerons.

If you find out that you need to apply e.g. a 5deg WCA to maintain the runway track, you turn your plane the required 5deg the standard way, with the ailerons, not by yawing the nose 5deg to the left with the rudder.

If you push the nose 5deg to the left, the plane will initially continue on its original track and that's why you use this method only during the flare.

Btw, with a strong crosswind I tend to keep the upwind wing a bit low IRL, even in the 767. There's quite a big margin concerning bank before the engine nacelle hits the runway.

Ok, thanks for that. I think I’ve got it now, haha

I’m having lots of difficulty with this crosswind landing in the track I posted earlier. If somebody can take a look at it and tell me how they do it would be great.

What I’m finding is that I get the bearing pointer, course arrow and the CDI all lined up with the runway, but then I cant hold it all in line, they all go all over the place and the I keep over correcting and its all down hill from there. I have managed to land a few times but there’s no control really.

Edited by tangodownNZ

• 4 years later...

The problem is in the design of the hud of the original A10. It's a head up display that's poorly configured so that in certain cross-wind situation it doesn't do what it was designed to do.

DISPLAY THE AIRCRAFT'S FLIGHT PATH.

Bad design ... that's all. It's like those landing craft that they used on the Normandy beaches, or 9/11. Too much gung-ho too little thinking.

There 9/11, I said it. Now ban me for 6 months.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, eyusuf said:

The problem is in the design of the hud of the original A10. It's a head up display that's poorly configured so that in certain cross-wind situation it doesn't do what it was designed to do.

Bad design ... that's all. It's like those landing craft that they used on the Normandy beaches, or 9/11. Too much gung-ho too little thinking.

Good lord, I can't imagine how all those airline pilots out there manage to land their jet aircraft in crosswinds without a FPM or even a HUD!  Imagine the carnage!   🙄

FWIW, the HUD was never certified as a primary flight instrument

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 1:55 AM, eyusuf said:

That’s not what the HUD was ever designed to do in the A-10. It’s not approved as a primary reference for instrument flight. The HUD is designed to make it easier to put bombs on target. Look outside at the runway or use your instruments. There’s a reason all Air Force pilots start in the T-6A that has no HUD.