The Cube

Flim

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMFG!! :joystick::thumbup::thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

george_peppard_a_team.png

I love it when a plan comes together!

...now we can go the next step:

While you are tweaking to get the edges perfectly aligned...,

Send me your actual used Desktop layout (Like I PM'ed you- Subject : 'I need this') and lets first optimise the render for your Helios screen and also try SoftTH to run Fullscreen. (and also figure out how we implement the HUD-export)

-and I also worked out a way to start the simulation always in the 'HUD-only' view.

...And you can also look around where you get a CRT screen (probably for free at your local scrap yard ;)) - and I hope you have also the ability to cut your first-surface-mirrow, so you can use a piece of it for the HUD export. 'We' will mirror the image twice. (I forgot the actual dimensions of your mirror - but I think it was bigger than you need it for the Top-projector)

"Why a CRT ?" you may ask :

A CRT can be much brighter as a LCD - and 'we' want the HUD projection as bright as it can get for good visuals.

Edited by PeterP

Very :censored: Cool!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

:surprise::surprise: That is stunning. Great work Film, and to all of you who have worked towards this, it's been fascinating following the discussions. :worthy:

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Gadroc would have a lot more money if it were not for me! lol

Thanks to Peter for making this possible...

I still need to tweak a little, but overall the setup works perfect. Also, need to move and adjust the left view projector which is still off a hair. The top view is being projected from the front now and looks perfect. I'm still not totally finished, the bottom of the wall will be enclosed and all areas that do not have a projection will be painted black. I would like to enclose the back and add a door as well to complete the entire experience.

Now the pit is the next step and will be built around the visual ( "The Shed")

The fun continues...

Edited by Flim

Gadroc would have a lot more money if it were not for me! lol

Thanks to Peter for making this possible...

I still need to tweak a little, but overall the setup works perfect. Also, need to move and adjust the left view projector which is still off a hair. The top view is being projected from the front now and looks perfect. I'm still not totally finished, the bottom of the wall will be enclosed and all areas that do not have a projection will be painted black. I would like to enclose the back and add a door as well to complete the entire experience.

Now the pit is the next step and will be built around the visual ( "The Shed")

The fun continues...

Sorry to come so late with following Idea...,

But I spend some time sitting in the bathroom to day and was thinking about your setting and than I instantly realised that your room is 12 feet to the sides, ... ,

07-04-2012:

The media room will be 12 x 10 ft. planar projection ( for now )

I plan on using the Gt 720 short throw projector for now.

But I started all my planing and thinking about a cube that has 9x9ft as a footprint.

I totally forgot that you have 12ft from side to side.

This was a mistake! - (yes, a picture is sometimes more worth than 1000 words !:))

And Today I saw your pictures and instantly realised that I have forgot about the "extra" space you have behind the curtain.

Please try to modify it to this, so you can fully hide the side-projectors:

Cubehideprojectors.gif

The key-stone function of the projectors should than enable you also to make a perfectly matching side-projection. - and you would barely notice the 'lost' pixels.

Sorry to come with this idea after you have already mounted the projectors , but I'm also a little surprised in your fast progress the last days.

The only downside is that you will lost about 6inch head clearance because of the more shallowed beams.

And further:

the bottom of the wall will be enclosed
I would do it for now with simple black cloth, hanging down. - so you have all options 'open' for the future

I have already figured out how to make the "Future Option" with a fully 45° look down capability possible, even if the dimensions of the Pit-foot-print are getting bigger than initially planed.

We should discuss via Skype.

Edited by PeterP

WOW!!!!!!!! Fantastic job.

I would love to see a vid from pilot's eye perspective. I imagine the immersion must be stunning!

I think it will be very hard to capture the immersion with a camera for Flim...

Until then,

please watch this simulation to get a idea what he sees:

Yes, I tried both ways...

One issue I was concerned with is cooling, the projector was really close to the screen wall which was restricting the airflow which is a bad deal! The second issue was adjusting the picture... was a pain. I flew with both in and out and really does not bother me either way. Now the left view projector had to be moved back which made me cut a bigger hole in the wall for space, it seems the throw is less on that one for some reason. All is fixed now ! Lastly, better angle close together...

Edited by Flim

OK , I'm relieved - than is all good now. I just feared you haven't thought of trying it before.

The second issue was adjusting the picture... was a pain.

Yes,...

, placing the pictures while standing behind the canvas and having no view at all to the projection can get very tricky when doing it alone...

:)

Whatever,

I'm very happy to watch your progress and that I can see that this "brain-fart" (quote from my wife ) takes shape and is doable at 'reasonable' costs.

:)

Sorry, but her comes "Captain Obvious" to the rescue! :D :

Now the left view projector had to be moved back which made me cut a bigger hole in the wall for space, it seems the throw is less on that one for some reason.
lesson learned! >>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1646914#post1646914

@ all that think to do something similar:

Never-ever believe a web-calculating tool! - do your own measurements of min/max specifications with the actual projectors when they arrived, to prevent you from 'nasty' surprises!

Just imagine Flim would have a concrete wall behind his projector instead a self made canvas, - just 'cutting out' something to place the projector more backwards wouldn't work.

;)

Edited by PeterP

This is mind boggling guys.

And there is something more: Showed your YouTube to significant other and surprisingly received " well you can do that too, right? Does this fits into our small room?". So I have room if I'm willing to make a certain significant sacrifice and bunch of small ones like not having that room as office. Decisions...

Regardless, go or no go, im already planning this out. The room us 10 by 9, standard US height. I assume 720p projectors were chosen for better game performance?

No, the projectors (Optoma GT720) are the only 'affordable' projectors with such a short throw ratio while having a 16:10 aspect ratio. - when you want a bigger res at same throw you quickly end up paying 2k for one projector...

(and 'affordable' can be a very wide spread term in this context)

Rule of the thumb:

When you plan a setup in a 'small room' you need Short-throw-projectors.

(yes - you guess right: a 'small room' is also a wide spread term in this context ;)

I would consider calling a room "small" when it is under 15feet/4,5meters in each dimension, when talking about a cubic projection)

And everything what is under 8,5 feet I would consider as 'problematic' .

Means = It will work to display the image but you have to make compromises about your view-point (that is not adjustable- it has to be in the middle of the projection for a distortions-less image) and you will facing problems to place your mock-up cockpit in it without casting shadows.

Any way to do with less then 4, concern is not cost but more heat, noise (but then I guess it is moot diff between 3 or 4) and again performance.

Just forget about performance at this moment.

Start to think about the light-beams and the way they have to take to project the image.

So: No, you cant do a up-view while protecting three side-view with just 3 projectors in a cubic-projection.

Edit:

So here is a advise:

Start with your own (human) dimensions.

Means= When considering to build something similar , you first have to ask :

Can I sit in it and enjoy it ?

And don't ask : Can I make a cubic projection at my (limited) scale ?

-because the answer will be always 'Yes' every time - but this 'Yes' doesn't tell anything about the usability.

There is no purpose to have a working cubic-projection if you aren't able to place yourself and your equipment in the center-view-point of it.

So get first a 3D modelling program (google Sketch-up/solid works) and the first thing you do is to place a model of a human in the centre, than place everything around him.

Don't do it the other way - don't start first to model the projection and stuff, and than, after you finished, try to put a human in it.

I hope you get my point.

Edited by PeterP