The Cube

Flim

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I rebuilt the structure ... Full box with a door. Now I'm mounting the projectors and taking my time to get everything straight. Lastly , adding a 5th projector for the aft view... Full 360 degree view with top. Hopefully will have it ready next week sometime, then some videos will follow.

On the pit... I'm torn on a triple touch setup for the pit (umc), or a dedicated pit... Just so many aircraft coming out!

On the pit... I'm torn on a triple touch setup for the pit (umc), or a dedicated pit... Just so many aircraft coming out!

Were I in your shoes, I would have to go touch screen at least for a while just because of all the potential choices coming up. I couldn't commit to one aircraft in that set up too soon.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, I rebuilt the structure ... Full box with a door. Now I'm mounting the projectors and taking my time to get everything straight. Lastly , adding a 5th projector for the aft view... Full 360 degree view with top. Hopefully will have it ready next week sometime, then some videos will follow.

5th? a cube has 4 sides. confused:book:

It's a 3D cube not a 2D cube! Simple. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So which sides are you projecting?

Flim is going to do everything but the floor of the cube.

Early pics here.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1648784&postcount=151

It looks like my cube may end up being 10 or 11 feet to a side. The distance from the eye-point to the extent of the windscreen is going to require it. :(

I may have issues with the canopy bow throwing a shadow on the forward view if I don't get the projector located in the right spot.

Projectors and new video card arrived yesterday!

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

HI Geneb,

you can possibly go around that problem by using the keystone correction or maybe even a mirror. My fake canopy frame throws shadows on my projection screen too, so I placed my projector higher behind my seat and use the keystone correction to get that nice square image. My projection screen is placed in an angle and flooks good. You also have the feeling you are looking down with a little angle when you are on the runway. I tried to imitate that after studying some pics.

There's a number of different things I'm going to try in the process of building the cube frame. Having the cockpit rail be over six feet off the floor doesn't help things a whole lot either.

My first order of business is getting the flight controls re-connected and wired in properly. I'm delayed by having a pair of critical parts missing from my C model throttle quadrant. Hopefully they'll be here soon.

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

I cleared out a 10x15 room to experiment with the cube configuration. Got some furniture grade pvc pipe fittings to build a 1-1/4" pvc pipe frame for it so it's portable for me. I'm in the same boat as Gene initially though. I've only got 3 GT720, so the top view will have to wait a month or two on mine. I'll be using Immersaview Warp for pre-warp alignment fine tuning.

Are you referring to NThusim+ or another product?

g.

One of the commercial products. Sol7 turned into Warp. Immersaview has SimVisuals and Warp as their professional products. Once I have this up and working I'm going to try and get Alex and Andy to ok up to 5 projectors on Nthusim+ though.

Edited by BHawthorne

I wasn't aware warping software was even required for this kind of display.

Is "Warp" still $ABSURD per channel?

g.

It's not needed, but I'm using it to fine tune keystoning. Yes, their commercial stuff is per projector service contract. As I contract to them for work I get it for free though.

I used one of my GT720s to get an idea of frame height given the mounting location would be about 2 inches away from the walls and that my room is 10 foot wide. I also wanted 7 foot projection height because I don't want to be too pixelated or the top screen too low. Given that mounting location and the lens throw I'm going to have to do slight pre-warping on the panels to get it to fit. It's slightly too wide a projection at 16:10 for my room.

attachment.php?attachmentid=77916&stc=1&d=1362283190

Gene, what are your thoughts on tensioning optical mylar to a linear convex shape to make a mirror so the ceiling gets full projection coverage?

007sm.jpg.93e8e7c2d046d03ac91d2cd025f41426.jpg

Edited by BHawthorne

One thing with the gt750/720... your box dims have to be correct! I have spent a lot of time adjusting/rebuilding/fine tuning/and $$/ trying to get it right. Not only does Box dims need to be correct, but you need current hardware to run a full cube projection.

Finally, I have successfully built a full 360 degree, (plus top view) running DCS smoothly with high settings and cruising at a constant 30 fps... I bought a 5th projector not knowing if it would work smoothly, but it now can be done!

Again, thanks to Peter for loads of help and aiding in the build!

I need to get some video out, but my Iphone will not do it justice... need to find a better camera.

Yep, iphone is evil for low light. notice the graininess of my pic and that's even with indirect light in the room.

I'm going to cheat a bit on mine as far as box dimensions because I have certain limitations I need to work within. I just need to have full coverage on the panels and pre-warping will do the rest. It can be done without any pre-warping but you have to be exact to match 16:10 + mounting position. I'd rather just get it in the ballpark and correct it via software.

I like the idea that while a few of us are doing cubes we're all doing it slightly different. It helps those that might want to do it in the future to have a few different examples.

Gene has a 7950 and I have a 7970, so we're pretty good on video cards.

Edited by BHawthorne

have a short questions. Does anybody has an idea of using multiple PC's for rendering the views for DCS. In the past I've build cockpits for the FSX and there you could use multiple PC's for the views (think it was called WideView or WideFS if I remember correctly). But until now, I didn't find a solution for DCS. Now I use one PC with two graphic cards and a TripleHeadToGo to get all the views. But this is hard work for one PC. An having 5 projectors with five views....you have to have a damn fast machine to get 60 fps

visit my build thread Gremlin's A-10 :thumbup:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=86916

Yeah Gremlin, that would be the ultimate way to do it with high FPS and eyecandy on but dcs doesnt support it unfortunately. Who knows if they ever will, not sure it is on their list or how possible it would be 3rd parties to get the information.

On the surface I think there is a possibility to get it going in some for for single player but for multiplayer I think there would be issues like the slaved views not seeing other aircraft and object.