The Cube

Flim

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting to get into a new house in DEC...

I plan on working on one or the other... rift setup, or projector

I heard you're moving to Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Someone mentioned it in another post I think. Me and some friends often participate the Alliance airshow every summer in Ft. Worth with their B-52 and F-4 simulators. A lot of Viperpits guys around that area too. You should ride up with them to Wichita in May 2013 for the next Cockpitfest USA. 11 of them went last show. They had fun. Would be cool to see one of your simpits at the show too. :thumbup:

No progress on the Rift yet. Still in limbo mode waiting on Oculus to manufacture them and ship in December.

Edited by BHawthorne

• 3 weeks later...

I'm playing with 6 23 inch lcd screens and learning about tweaking monitor setup files...

B8CDABAB-AC01-4F60-81AC-73CF4B52F4FC-664-000000EFAC1C2D64.jpg

I like this setup so far.... I'm no waiting for 2 more lcd screens to have a total of 6 which will let me have a full 360 view. Right now I'm running between 15 and 25 fps in lower settings.... it is worth it to me.

I'm thinking a top and back view for the other 2 or left/right- aft view, or top and back... I will try both and see what is best.

Edited by Flim

• 1 month later...

Well, some initial test results...

I'm currently testing 3 projectors and 2 lcd's at 720p. You will not be able to touch 1080p with the amount of stuff going. I will add one more projector replacing the lcd and the 5th screen will stay since it is a touch for Helios. In the test I was in instant action running graphics on med/low HUD only. I'm projecting a box view... front/top/right/left ... the images almost cover the entire wall in a 12x12 room giving a very in depth immersion factor.

My specs:

I7950

8gig ram

1-5870x6

4 GT750 projectors and 1 HP 22 inch touch

1280x720 res

graphics settings in DCS LOW/MED

HUD Only view

Touch screen running Helios with MFD's export to GUI viewport

Total 5 view ports 6400x720 Res

FPS- 40-60 fps, never dropping much below 40

Training flight takeoff- running 25 on ground on the airport, but 40 after takeoff.

The most important thing with such a large view is smoothness. You can have high frames and still experience stutters. With my current settings, all is very smooth and fluid. It feels just as good as the 10 million dollar sims I train on for my real job, but our graphics are still better.

Con's:

Price--- gt750 about $650...

Room- You got to have it!

pain installing ceiling mounts and running wall cables!

Low res- but I think it's worth it.

Setting up projectors

Pro's

-The best flight experience I've had in DCS or any home sim.

-Immersion with life size images, you totally move your head around as if you were in the actual cockpit.

-Ability to use a real fixed HUD which will fix the resolution issues ( 720p is not crisp)

- No track IR required

- It works also with BlackShark and P-51, I'm sure others as well.

Now, I will post video's and pics soon, but I still need to get some mounting finished. I was using ladders and box's to set the projectors for testing. looks messy!:)

Well, some initial test results...

I'm currently testing 3 projectors and 2 lcd's at 720p. You will not be able to touch 1080p with the amount of stuff going. I will add one more projector replacing the lcd and the 5th screen will stay since it is a touch for Helios. In the test I was in instant action running graphics on med/low HUD only. I'm projecting a box view... front/top/right/left ... the images almost cover the entire wall in a 12x12 room giving a very in depth immersion factor.

My specs:

I7950

8gig ram

1-5870x6

4 GT750 projectors and 1 HP 22 inch touch

1280x720 res

graphics settings in DCS LOW/MED

HUD Only view

Touch screen running Helios with MFD's export to GUI viewport

Total 5 view ports 6400x720 Res

FPS- 40-60 fps, never dropping much below 40

Training flight takeoff- running 25 on ground on the airport, but 40 after takeoff.

The most important thing with such a large view is smoothness. You can have high frames and still experience stutters. With my current settings, all is very smooth and fluid. It feels just as good as the 10 million dollar sims I train on for my real job, but our graphics are still better.

Con's:

Price--- gt750 about $650...

Room- You got to have it!

pain installing ceiling mounts and running wall cables!

Low res- but I think it's worth it.

Setting up projectors

Pro's

-The best flight experience I've had in DCS or any home sim.

-Immersion with life size images, you totally move your head around as if you were in the actual cockpit.

-Ability to use a real fixed HUD which will fix the resolution issues ( 720p is not crisp)

- No track IR required

- It works also with BlackShark and P-51, I'm sure others as well.

Now, I will post video's and pics soon, but I still need to get some mounting finished. I was using ladders and box's to set the projectors for testing. looks messy!:)

That sounds awesome FLIM!

I wonder if you could go higher in res with more CPU though since I have those frame rates on 5x1080p assuming you also have the render area on the 3 of them and displays and Helios on the 2 remaining.

But on the other hand since you don't use trackIR with it you probably use 3 view-port cameras to avoid planar stretching which takes more resources.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

I'm actually using 4 view ports and 1 extra for GUI which has the extractions... Mfd, etc

Maybe someday we can use 1080p, but unless Ed gives us the ability to use a viewport per computer... Then it will be a while.

Yep, the thing about flight sims is when you start using multi-display your fps tanks. That is the advantage of actually using 720p over 1080p. To many that's backward logic, but for me I've witnessed the difference. I'm all for GT750's. I love my GT720's even if they're nowhere as crisp as 1080p is. For me short-throw big picture FPS trumps resolution. I'm really interested in seeing Flim's setup with flat walls, because I've always done curved. It's a new thing for me and I like learning new things. :)

I'm curious on the camera views, are you spanning 90 FOV on each with the left-front-right doing 270? I'm wanting to do 120 FOV spans on three to do 360 rear projection

Edited by BHawthorne

I'll get some pics up this weekend! lol

Currently the pit room is all filled up with tools while I ceiling mount the projectors and run cables through the atic... I hate insulation! Also I have to put some fiberboard over the front windows in the room, which is the right view. Lastly I need to blackout the entry way glass/wood split doors. My goal is dark and cool. In the winter time, the projectors provide enough heat to replace my heater.

My FOV horizontal is prob close to 220-250 depending on the zoom and 100 or more vertical.

I got the fps up to 55 by going full screen and not using window mode.

Edited by Flim

Hi FLim I broke my F5 button, still waiting for your pics because I want to build the same combo using 3 GT750s. But i prefer to use convex screen.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

The trick to that is the wife always needs a crazier hobby than you have. :megalol:

That's the truth!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Well, we have 4 little ones to keep her busy!

I finally got 2 of the 4 projectors mounted... man it is hard to mount these things from a 10 ft. ceiling and then craw in the Attic running wire through the insulation. Tomorrow I will get the other two fixed and mounted, then get the pit back up. After this is all finished my plan is to get my cnc up and running so I can start on my offical A-10 pit... to much fun! lol

Has anyone played with the HUD yet?

Edited by Flim

Hey peter, I'm going to do a physical hud and I think the problem will be trying to get the gun cross aligned correctly with the large screens.

I don't think it is such a big problem,

You just need a very precise and sturdy build of the HUD.

Calibrating it just needs a lot of patience.

So adding a mechanism through tiny screws to recalibrate the position of the mirrors and image providing LCD (BTW: a small CTR-monitor can be much brighter) would be a necessary to make precise adjustments on the fly.

But nothing that can't be done.

And the build just must be very sturdy and/or decoupled from the rest of the pit , so you won't de-calibrate the position of the mirrors simply because you are using the pit.

Edited by PeterP