The Cube

Flim

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very promising !

So you are basically using this setup: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1517165#post1517165

:D

Do yourself a favour:

Place a always reachable bucket in the room when showing this setup to your family-members and friends... - it can come in handy if some are not used to this kind of experience.

(as it takes some time for "acclimatisation" , so your brain will negate the fact that the floor isn't really moving, even if your brain tells you exactly this at the beginning...)

Edited by PeterP

hehe, like the bucket comment.

Looks great. The overhead view is going to be good for situational awareness. It's something I always thought was missing from bubble canopy aircraft in pc sims.

I suggest on the ceiling projector, set it's fan setting to "high altitude" in the "options" menu.

Edited by BHawthorne

You SUCK! That looks awesome, much better than the first video you sent me. Wow do my 46" TVs look small now!

And the Flim/Gadroc pitwars resume!!!!!!

We will all benefit again!

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Wow Film, that is very impressive, extremely jealous. Can't wait to see u flying it.

Looking forward to further updates.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

hehe, and now you know why several of us have been toying with Optoma GameTime 720p projectors. :thumbup:

I knew why, I just don't have the space to do it now. Will have to come up with a plan so the wife will let me take over the rest of the basement.

I had a "eureka" moment today in the bathroom.

I got a idea how to use the side-projection also for the back-view.

It will make it possible to use a 330° in-game render - so you can have a look over your shoulder.

The principle behind this is very simple but a pain when you want to write a fitting Monitorsetup-lua...

Here it is:

Cube.jpg

Cube3.jpg

DCS render 6400x800 (5x 1280x800):

attachment.php?attachmentid=68668&stc=1&d=1343405658

The monitorsetup-lua:

Its optimised for a eyefinity 5 set-up 6400x800 and also includes a empty space for avionics. it uses 6Viewports (can be cut down to 5 when Softth is used.)

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('Flim test big');

Description = 'Crazy stuff'

Viewports =

{

center =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1280;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1;

},

back_left =

{

x = 2120;

y = 0;

width = 660;

height = 1280;

viewDx = -2;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1;

},

left =

{

x = 2780;

y = 0;

width = 1060;

height = 1280;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1;

},

top =

{

x = 3840;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1060;

viewDx = 2;

viewDy = 1;

aspect = 1;

},

right =

{

x = 5120;

y = 0;

width = 1060;

height = 1280;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1;

},

back_right =

{

x = 6180;

y = 0;

width = 660;

height = 1280;

viewDx = 2;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1;

},

}

GUI =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1024;

height = 768;

}

UIMainView = GUI

Well, I got suprisingly 15FPS fling over Tibilis on my HD6870 2G - but my V-ram was also used totally.

So you will have defiantly look for a 4GB model.

The back may gets a little blurred and distorted at the sides (because of the angel of the projector beams) - but it is better as no back-view at all.

You can see at the end of the vid what portion is missing.

This both stripes in the back cover each 30° of the in-game render.

Final SketchUp file is attached.

Now It's your turn Flim!!! :)

Hey Peter...

I want to try this, but it looks like your height is set to 1280? I'm using 720

Basically this is what I'm using, but I like the back angle views.

Hey Peter...

I want to try this, but it looks like your height is set to 1280? .

Yes and No....:)

First:

In the monitorsetup.lua we have to use a squared image of 1280x1280 for each view-port to keep the 1:1 aspect ratio intact.

This is needed to fold the render to a seamless cube- if the aspect and pixels don't use 1:1 you wont be able to put the top-view on the three sides without distortion.

Second: Once we have this monitorsetup.lua that projects a cube consisting of 1:1 viewports we instruct DCS to only use the first 720 pixels of it - so it fits into your Desktop.

I used in my example that I made for you 1280x800.

So you can take this Monitorsetup.lua without change (well, change only the GUI render to your needs = 1280x720) but use a overall resolution of 6400x720 in DCS for your setup.

Edit:

Well, to be honest:

.. this above is a very simplified explanation...

Just look at the "back_left" viewport.

I bet you will have many question marks what I have done there.

To make it short - I used all tricks I could think off that it will work like in the sketchup model - you rally don't have to worry about the "why?" right now.

And I consider this "monitorsetup".lua I have composed "my Masterpiece" - it took me roughly 5 hours to get the things working.

:)

You would make me very proud when you could proof that the back-view is working in your set-up.

Just make sure that your desktop will use a overall res of 6400x720 in the end - than all will come naturally together once you start to set it up and you will begin to understand why it is done this way.

At this point I want to wish you a happy new Year !

...and don't drink and fly! :D ..or just remember to use the bucket!

Edited by PeterP

Ok man, thanks for the explanation! It's great to each of us have different strengths of knowledge so this project can be possible !

I'm still trying to get the top view square with a mirror... What a pain, but I will get it!

Edited by Flim

Thanks Peter,

Hey can you re-arrange the setup file so it can match a typical monitor arrangement.

Mine is...

mon 1 = left

mon 2 = Center

Mon 3 = Right

Mon 4 = Top

Mon 5 = Gui

It would help a lot if you could run this!!

Thanks

Hey can you re-arrange the setup file so it can match a typical monitor arrangement.

>>> :D

which "setup file"...? - sorry , dont like the idea right now to open nup fife difrent browsers just to get your current config.

BTW: sorry - i'm totally drunk.... right now. - so i cnat be much help.

and I would need a screenshot of your desktop properies...

Had "a happy new year" two hours ago... your must be in 3 three hours I think.

Here is your instruction to move the view ports horizontal:

just play with the Y coordinates- and move them like you need them.

:prop:

@all

I'm sure this is one of this postings I will regret tomorrow! :)

EDIT:

(at a second look)

Hey can you re-arrange the setup file so it can match a typical .

Yes I can.

First tell me exactlly what a "typical monitor arrangement" is for you,

Than I will be able to "Transform" it to your needs.

and no! - this isn't enough info:

mon 1 = left

mon 2 = Center

Mon 3 = Right

Mon 4 = Top

Mon 5 = Gui

I really want the x/y coordinates of each screen and its res. .

...I answered too much questions like this before , just to realise at the third page that the OP has changed his setup in between completely without telling it to me...

So:

help me helping you:

Give me the whole picture , please.

remember: I'm not sitting at your right shoulder - so when you ask me something - I first need the complete info!

:)

Edited by PeterP