The Cube

Flim

OKay.... remember that you have to be in my seat for the 90 degree views to looks correct. It is really difficult to show the views from my eyepoint with a video camera.

Vid 1

Vid 2

Vid 3

Edited by Flim
  • Like 1

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good :). How distorted are the angles in reality from your eye point sitting in the sim?

I think at one point you did have the camera there but things still looked a way out and not right for the screens at 90 deg to the front. Is there still playing around to do there?

That is great... I see only 1 downside and that is missing rear view which needs to be there is you are flying fighters and you are merged.

I have one thought for you also, did you think about placing the projectors behind the screen and only have round hole in the screen for projector light to pass though? I think if you did that you could recuce width of the side panels a bit and eliminate most of blocked view by projector.

And once more, that is one awesome setup... really like it :thumbup:

No longer active in DCS...

That is great... I see only 1 downside and that is missing rear view which needs to be there is you are flying fighters and you are merged.

I have one thought for you also, did you think about placing the projectors behind the screen and only have round hole in the screen for projector light to pass though? I think if you did that you could recuce width of the side panels a bit and eliminate most of blocked view by projector.

And once more, that is one awesome setup... really like it :thumbup:

You can move the projectors, but it does not bother me at all. Now, at this point we do not have a back view, but it's possible as computer performance gets better. In one of Peter's files there is a half back view that I have tested and works, but need more computer power.

I could not go back to track IR after flying this, and would say this by far beats the 8 million dollar sims I train on.

Obviously this is not for everyone, but if you have the space, understanding wife, and a small pit budget... then it's well worth it!

Edited by Flim

That's just sick! How does it feel to fly? Is the level of immersion everything you were hoping for? Anything you would do different next time?

Edit: Ooops, just posted while you had already answered.

PS: You say it beats $8m sims, is that just visual, or the whole experience? I had the chance to play in a level D sim once, and I'd do anything to replicate that experience...

Edited by KLR Rico

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

That's just sick! How does it feel to fly? Is the level of immersion everything you were hoping for? Anything you would do different next time?

PS: You say it beats $8m sims, is that just visual, or the whole experience? I had the chance to play in a level D sim once, and I'd do anything to replicate that experience...

I would say that the current setup turned out much better then I expected. At first I was going to buy the projectors, test it , and then return them to get my cash back. Now, 3 weeks later I have not returned them and do not plan to. I would say the level of immersion is very close or equal to the real A-10 trainers on youtube. My goal now is to build my pit into this visual system while keeping in mind that the eye point needs to be close to the current position.

Yes, these visuals are better then the level D sims I have flown... when I get the complete cockpit into the mix, then it will be no doubt.

Edited by Flim

I like the direction you are going. My only hesitation in the past was what might the lower resolution be like for the visuals. Obviously less than the 1929 in my 42" screens but it sounds like the immersion wins out.

Also the fact that you will have your own HUD and gauges in the cockpit, not the virtual cockpit means the resolution of the landscape can be lower.

Are you in a part of the states where everyone has air con? I reckon my space would heat up really fast but as always, there are ways around this.

I am especially glad to here you couldn't go back to trackir, that in itself says something.

So Flim, when are you going to start thinking how you getting it working for racing too lol.

This is the best I can do with an Iphone... I need a better camera!

You could try a widening lense for iPhone. But a better camera doesnt hurt. Some cheap end dslr with video recording is good as you can change lenses, but not necessary.

No, the projectors (Optoma GT720) are the only 'affordable' projectors with such a short throw ratio while having a 16:10 aspect ratio. ...

I hope you get my point.

Peter, thanks for taking the time to reply. basically i was in state when bunch of questions already arose and priority is still not clear. hence you read things that of no value, like projectors number. i reread the entire thing, sat on it and i think i understand the picture better.

measured the target room. 10.5 wide by 8.5 (hair over actually), but ceiling constrains the cube to 8. for the front and top i was thinking to project onto the wall that (happened clean of doors and windowa)and the ceiling itself. will be calculating where this puts me.

not rushing out to buy anything but both room hijack and budget for equipment just got approved by top finance of the family...

this is getting scary...

Untitled.jpg.f2c8bb0814dfbee5315fcfff6e6d5a88.jpg

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Ok Flim after watching these videos I found my lower jaw on the floor and eyeballs rolling on the monitor.

I want to make the same setup as you have , i will use optoma 750. right now i am waiting for the room.

Is your resolution 720p or 800p?

Dou you think that your ati 5970 is powerfull enough the play it smoothly? I am using amd6970 and think of getting 7970?

How did you set up the projection above your head ? You say its projected by projector that is located in front of your pit , do you use mirror?

anyway, awesome work, i am jealous

thanks for reply

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Peter, thanks for taking the time to reply. basically i was in state when bunch of questions already arose and priority is still not clear. hence you read things that of no value, like projectors number. i reread the entire thing, sat on it and i think i understand the picture better.

measured the target room. 10.5 wide by 8.5 (hair over actually), but ceiling constrains the cube to 8. for the front and top i was thinking to project onto the wall that (happened clean of doors and Windows)and the ceiling itself. will be calculating where this puts me.

not rushing out to buy anything but both room hijack and budget for equipment just got approved by top finance of the family...

this is getting scary...

Okay, the perfect cube for a cockpit like Y2's is 8.5 squared. By the time Peter did the math, I had already built a 7x7x74 inches tall structure knowing that it could fit in most medium sized rooms. The top view is mounted in the front facing vertical;basically on the floor, but hard mounted with a projector mount. Now with the shorter cube the side projectors can be mounted inside or outside the structure, but when mounted outside you will lose extra beam angle and clearance for a cockpit. Also, the projectors push a lot of hot air and need good cooling which made me nervous keeping them outside against the cube with restricted airflow. Now a person could cut extra slots in the side wall for this. Last reason I moved them to the inside is it made it 100 times easier to adjust and tweak... you will do a lot of this!

The structure is built with 2x4's and 1/8th brown fiberboard and painted with a light gray. The projector placement is on the center aft of each wall and you will need to cut slots for cables.

My pc is a i7 950 with a 5870x6.... running almost everything low except visual distance high. Getting around 45 in instant action and 20+ in missions. I want a newer ATIx6 and a faster CPU which should hopefully buy some extra fps... maybe so we can add more the aft view in Peter's file!

Fantastic setup Flim!! :thumbup:

This is my personal wishlist for next Cube's videos:

• Weapons employment
  • In-flight formation
  • In-flight refueling
  • Bad weather conditions
  • Night flight

Thanks in advance! :smilewink:

Bye

Phant

AMVI

You could try a widening lense for iPhone. But a better camera doesnt hurt. Some cheap end dslr with video recording is good as you can change lenses, but not necessary.

A quick search of ebay for the keywords "iphone fisheye" will fix him up with the proper lens accessory.

Is your resolution 720p or 800p?

I use GT720's myself. The way the GT750/GT720/GT700 works with 720p/800p is it crops pixels for 720p, so it's better to use them in 800p mode for maximum pixel use.

As far as smoothness and the 7970, I think it might actually be more CPU bound with the multi-camera than GPU bound. Be mindful, that Flim is not even pushing 3x 1080p, he's only pushing 4x 800p.

Food for thought:

6220800 pixels for 5760x1080 (3x1)...a typical triplehead gamer using NVIDIA Surround or AMD Eyefinity 3x1 would be crunching that resolution.

4096000 pixels for 5120x800 (4x1)...significantly less pixel overhead than the regular 1080p triplehead user.

Where the potential issue is would be CPU bound by the number of concurrent cameras in use. The GPU isn't an issue in this equation. Any good AMD Eyefintiy card capable of 4x1 can do it. I think the setup is mostly CPU bound. This issue also occurs with FSX and multi-camera. Both are CPU bottlenecked in that configuration. I'm not seeing any bottlenecking though in his videos. Looks like DCS handles multi-camera better than FSX does as far as CPU computational overhead.

Edited by BHawthorne

Flim ,

Finally I found time to look at your files you have send to me.

I also figured out a way that enables you to start always with the cockpit switched off.

But before I prepare a Mod-package that works by simply copy'n'paste I need some answers to this following questions, as I couldn't extract this info 100% clearly from this thread:

You did send me a Screen-cap of your Desktop without the corresponding monitorsetup.lua or a description what each monitor-number shows.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m561/peterpank1/Flimdesktop.jpg

I don't want to use the old info some pages back in this thread as it could have changed up to now.

Please tell me what is shown on each screen and/or give my the Monitorsetup.lua you are using.

So I'm 100% sure what monitor-number belongs to which projector/screen

I see that your Projectors are set to 1280x720 = 16:9, but the OPTOMA GT720 projectors have a Native res of 1280x800 = 16:10

Why ?

When you set it to 1280x800 you have the best image quality and what is more important: you will have a greater lock down capability, as we are able to show a bigger portion of the part's of the View-ports that are outside of the total DCS render.

What is the exact aspect-ratio of your canvas for each projection ?

Is it 16:9 or 16:10 ?

Please tell me the height and width of your front projection canvas.

Are you switching back to eyefinity5 mode when running the Sim?

If yes: I would prepare a Monitorsetup.lua that has the Export/Helios screen in the middle - so you have all windowsnotifications and the launcher also on it without the need pull them on this monitor.

5. Do you want to try SoftTH ?

If yes :

Can you simply arrange all Projectors in a landscape eyefinity4 group and the Helios screen as extended one?

Because:

To run DCS in full-screen mode while using Helios you need to place Helios on a secondary screen .

The best way and usability and also performance would be if you arrange the first 4 monitors in a Eyefinity-group and make them your main-monitor.

This has also the nice side-effect that you can choose to run your Helios/export screen in Native resolution and you won't need to have this screen in the same res as the projectors.

Flim ,

Finally I found time to look at your files you have send to me.

I also figured out a way that enables you to start always with the cockpit switched off.

But before I prepare a Mod-package that works by simply copy'n'paste I need some answers to this following questions, as I couldn't extract this info 100% clearly from this thread:

You did send me a Screen-cap of your Desktop without the corresponding monitorsetup.lua or a description what each monitor-number shows.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m561/peterpank1/Flimdesktop.jpg

I don't want to use the old info some pages back in this thread as it could have changed up to now.

Please tell me what is shown on each screen and/or give my the Monitorsetup.lua you are using.

So I'm 100% sure what monitor-number belongs to which projector/screen

I see that your Projectors are set to 1280x720 = 16:9, but the OPTOMA GT720 projectors have a Native res of 1280x800 = 16:10

Why ?

When you set it to 1280x800 you have the best image quality and what is more important: you will have a greater lock down capability, as we are able to show a bigger portion of the part's of the View-ports that are outside of the total DCS render.

What is the exact aspect-ratio of your canvas for each projection ?

Is it 16:9 or 16:10 ?

Please tell me the height and width of your front projection canvas.

Are you switching back to eyefinity5 mode when running the Sim?

If yes: I would prepare a Monitorsetup.lua that has the Export/Helios screen in the middle - so you have all windowsnotifications and the launcher also on it without the need pull them on this monitor.

5. Do you want to try SoftTH ?

If yes :

Can you simply arrange all Projectors in a landscape eyefinity4 group and the Helios screen as extended one?

Because:

To run DCS in full-screen mode while using Helios you need to place Helios on a secondary screen .

The best way and usability and also performance would be if you arrange the first 4 monitors in a Eyefinity-group and make them your main-monitor.

This has also the nice side-effect that you can choose to run your Helios/export screen in Native resolution and you won't need to have this screen in the same res as the projectors.

Okay... first the 7x7x74 or 7-7-7 ft cube does work using 16:10 res. Now, my plan is to rebuild a lighter frame and go 8.5 square like Peter says for the pit. I will have to be smart using 8.5 since you can only buy 8 ft. sheets of material, but my goal is to make it a portable type structure. I will cad it up here soon...

I have not tried 1280x800 for some reason, but it does work better for look down, about 4 inches extra at 7 ft.

I need to play with setting up the monitors using the 4x1 setup... just not sure if it would make much of a difference in performance.

Gadroc and I flew a simple test flight the other night and all I can say is wow! Smooth and no issues ... FPS 15-30

Does Immersive Display Pro have the capability for differing sized monitors?

My pit will end up with the following:

1 x Tripple Head 2 Go 3840x800 (3 GT750 projectors)

1 x GT750 Projector 1280x800

2 x 8" 800x600 MFD Monitors

2 x 3.5" RWR/CDU Screens