Question about the AIM 120

Ok I'm relatively new to this game, but I was just wondering if there was a way to tell when the AMRAAM becomes autonomous after launch so that I can break lock? And if there isn't a way, how far away from the target (usually) in terms of seconds does it become active?

Ok just to clarify, from what I understand, the AIM 120 after launch is guided initially by the onboard f15 radar until it reaches a terminal homing phase, and at that point it becomes completely active. I was wondering if that was modeled in the game? Or can I immediately break lock after launch and still expect the missile to find it's way to the target?

Yes, this is modelled in the game. If you break lock before the missile goes active in 1.11, Pk decreases - the missile may or may not find its targets.

At ranges of 7nm and less, the missile will go active right away and you are free to maneuver immidiately.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That is correct. And like I said, the time to active is indicated on the F-15's HUD and the timer should be described in the manual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Okay, I've got it. from some experimenting around it appears that the AIM 120 is effective only with a higher missile slider setting. I have it at 90 % right now; is there an optimum setting for missile effectiveness? From the previous thread about mavericks being shot down :confused: , I'm a lil hesitant to max out the slider.

It's perfectly fine at 50% once you learn to use it properly. Messing witht he slider messes up everything.

Humm... being a rookie too, what's the default setting for missiles? I mean, as I remember, the "factory" setting is around 50%, but for multiplayer purposes (on the server side) what's the most common value? 100%?

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil

The default setting is 50%. A lot of servers use 100% to help rookies out. But ED has stated that the 50% value is the ''realistic'' value.

100% to help the rookies? I 'd think just the opposite, ... dodge a missile at 100% isn't harder than at 50%?

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil