Moving DCS: World to a new computer

Not too sure if this is the correct forum but here goes

I have DCS: World with the A10 and P51 modules, as well as a stand alone A10 on my current computer and want to move just the DCS: World to my new rig.

I go to World/ mods/ plane/ and run the protection exe to deactivate the current plane modules. This works and I'm informed I have 9 activations for both planes left - well and good, all as expected.

I install World, along with the P51 and A10 modules on my new rig and I'm informed that the P51 has 9 activations and the A10 now has 8 activations left. (okay, a bit of a head scratch there)

I go back to my computer, which I've deactivated World on (but not touched the stand alone A10) and fire up the stand alone A10 and find I now have to reactivate that sim.

Is there a bug here/ how it is meant to be, or something my end?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

The initial "9 activations" information is about de-activations. Minor distinction. I think what might be happening there is just the question of whether de-activations or activations are listed in the dialog. Confusing yes, but probably not a problem in itself.

What confuses me though is:

"I go back to my computer, which I've deactivated World"

There is no such thing as deactivating "World", since DCS World is not protected at all, only modules are protected. DCS World itself is free. Could you add some detail to your procedure?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I go back to the computer, which I have deactivated the P51 and A10 modules on in DCS: World (shortening the the sentence in my original post was a "my bad" on my part.

Procedure:

Navigate to your DCS World/Mods/aircrafts/A-10C/bin/x86_64 (or x86) folder and open. Find the a10_protect file and double-click. Deactivate by following the prompts/instructions.

The main question of mine, is why do I need to reactivate the original A10-C stand alone on the original computer and why is the new install of DCS:World, with the A10-C module (the world module, not the stand alone) on the new computer indicating two activations used ? (A10-C stand alone has not been installed on the new computer and was not (by me) deactivated on the original computer, only the DCS: World A10-C and P-51D modules) The P-51D module indicates basically 1 activation used and that is understandable as I've moved it to a new rig.

Edited by Wolf Rider

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

So your procedure is:

A) Computer 1 has DCS World with A-10C and P51, as well as DCS:A10C version 1.1.1.1 (standalone).

B) You obtain a new computer and want to move your license to this new computer.

1) You deactivate modules in World on Computer 1.

2) You install and activate modules in World on Computer 2.

(this is where the activation number anomaly occurs)

3) You enter Computer 1, and start 1.1.1.1, and find you have to reactivate.

If this is all true, step 3 is because there is only one license - that is, the license for the A-10C Module for DCS World is the same as the license for the old standalone DCS: A-10C Warthog version 1.1.1.1. Thus, when you deactivated the world module, you also deactivated your version 1.1.1.1 Standalone.

The A-10C license is intended for one computer, and DCS World is simply a "background" change and not a separate delivery medium for you that allows you to run simultaneously on multiple computers. You can still have it installed and active on multiple computers, but this will require separate activations for each computer, and simultaneous use of the simulator itself on both computers is prohibited (for example, you cannot have two computers with the same license active, and then sit two people, one at each computer, playing the game on each of those computers using the same license).

Did I understand the situation correctly?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

yes, all is clear is clear now and thanks for the advice

though, this part

~ You can still have it installed and active on multiple computers, but this will require separate activations for each computer, and simultaneous use of the simulator itself on both computers is prohibited (for example, you cannot have two computers with the same license active, and then sit two people, one at each computer, playing the game on each of those computers using the same license).

was not my intention and that sort of thing is not part of my mindset.

My confusion(?) lay in the two seperate products A10-C stand alone and DCS: World A10-C module, in relation to the migration towards DCS: World and both sharing (as you've pointed out 'its a background change', with thanks) the same license

Edited by Wolf Rider

-

Ah, yes, basically, what the intent of DCS World is to unify the simulators under a common framework: since for example DCS:A-10C and DCS:BS2 use much the same resources, it is better to get a modular system where they can share resources instead of having a lot of "duplicate" resources on computers that use both products. You can find more information here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89885

Think of it like this: DCS World (with modules) will replace your previous installs - all of them (excepting BS1 and FC2) - and conserve your hard drive space, as well as provide a vehicle for certified 3rd party development of aircraft to be distributed to you without needing to be entirely standalone as well with associated duplication of hard drive stored resources.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester