Game performance throughout the day

gunterlund21

We are noticing network performance differences during different times of the day. Most of our observations are annecdotal as we dont have data to prove it, just observations. But... with that said we notice more disconnects and warping later in the day in the US as US workers come home from work and our Euro and far east brothers come on line. The later in the day we play the same mission the more connection interrupted, disconnects and warping occurs. Is performance tied to the master server load. If so I dont understand the design philosophy of having a master tied that cloaely to a local game. If this is the case we need master servers in different locations ie a US master, a Euro master etc.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

It's likely your internet connection. Some ISPs will throttle the connection speed during "peak hours" (whatever that is LOL - most people I know leave stuff d/l during the night - when it is allegedly "off peak", despite the US being in "peak hour" at the same time!) and it might mean it will drop more often.

Best regards,

Tango.

I thought it was my internet but when 8 players go down at the same time, on a machine that was running fine earlier, then something is suspicious.

+1

We've seen it happen to pilots from Europe, UK and US at the same time. Definately suspicious.

B

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

It's likely your internet connection. Some ISPs will throttle the connection speed during "peak hours" (whatever that is LOL - most people I know leave stuff d/l during the night - when it is allegedly "off peak", despite the US being in "peak hour" at the same time!) and it might mean it will drop more often.

Best regards,

Tango.

I can back gunter up on this. The teamspeak group i was in attempted three different servers, in three different regions of the country, hosted by players who ordinarily are able to host rock-solid games for hours at a time. On each of these servers we encountered sever ping levels and a high level (~50%) of players unable to remain connected. Last night we had similar trouble: in one mission we had over 20 players running stable, then on the next we couldn't keep more than 10 online for all the lagging and crashing.

Further anecdotal reports from players filtering in and out of the teamspeak server confirmed wide-spread connectivity issues amongst DCS World players both in the states and abroad. I have personally heard some two dozen voices complaining of uncharacteristic lag spikes, dropped connections, and connection-related CTDs.

Either the internet as a whole is having trouble this week, or it's something to do with DCS.

Edited by ShuRugal

we had tried the "lan" setting on our server. works for a short while, then its back to repeated disconnects. we had set the server to lan also with no noticeable changes. this was with 6 people connecting to a 25/25m net.

it seems like if you make any change, it will work but only for a short while, then the disconnects start again.

Asus x99, i7 5930k, 32g mem, MSI 1070GTX, 970 Samsung M.2, LG 35in Ultra-Wide, TrackIR 4

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So collectively, are people saying that they find the current DCS more network "fragile" and more prone to drop connection than perhaps other application that are more tolerant?

One of the factors in this is UDP is a connectionless protocol but entirely neccessary for things like streaming video and flight sims, more so, with flight sims because you can't buffer them (of course)

Most modern ISP's traffic manage their clients data, and I'm pretty sure generic UDP is going to be viewed as streaming and liable to the first stages of traffic management. The only thing I can think of is for ED to petition major ISP's for exclusion rules on their data. Although if they change the format often the rules will have to be redone.

I remember a certain game with millions of world wide subscribers changing it's data formats and their traffic being managed as peer to peer traffic for at least a month until folks started breaking down peoples doors with anger over the disconnects. The problem is this is a small game from a small team and i'm not sure if it's possible to write to all the ISP's and request firewall and packet inspection rules to be written for this game.

I humbly believe that it is likely that flight simulators...where fractions of a second make a huge difference with always be subject to network packet loss, more so as the internet becomes increasingly congested with streaming Youtube films of cats with dislocated jaws and cartoons that give my kids nightmares.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

more so as the internet becomes increasingly congested with streaming Youtube films of cats with dislocated jaws and cartoons that give my kids nightmares.

You've been giving too much credence to the words of a certain senator from Alaska. The long version would be a twelve-page dissertation, the short version is "the internet doesn't work that way".

Can we get some Drain-O up in here to clean these Internet tubes???

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive