HD1: Corsair Force series 3 SSD 240GB

HD2: Western digital Caviar black 1TB 7200RPM

RAM: Corsair dominator kit 8GB (2x4GB)

CPU fan: Cooler master hyper

Powersupply: Corsair pro 750W

+++

My questions regarding my preliminary selections is a s follows:

1. Have I chosen a decent motherboard?

2. Have I chosen the correct powersupply? (I probably won't be OC'ing, but like to keep possibileties open...)

3. Is the 2011 socket something that is supported in the future?

4. I'm also considering i7-3820, should I?

5. Is more than 8GB RAM useful in any scenarios? (Esp. in DCS)

6. Is this an awesome PC that runs DCS like a boss?

I would love to get some opinions and I appreciate all replies<3

Edited by Inseckt

Help Beczl with his DCS MiG-21Bis project

by Pre-Ordering DCS MiG-21Bis module NOW!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PRE-ORDER PAGE AT INDIEGOGO

Yep, I don't think you need me to tell you that is one awesome collection of components.

A veritable flying machine!!!!!

The PSU will be more than adequate even if you do go SLI in the future

Why no water cooling?

I'm sure you'll already own a nice stick and TrackIR, but if not - that's where you should be dropping some cash!!!

• Like 1

Here's what I'm planning to build:

Mother: ASUS P9X79 (Socket 2011)

CPU: i7-3930K

GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7970

HD1: Corsair Force series 3 SSD 240GB

HD2: Western digital Caviar black 1TB 7200RPM

RAM: Corsair dominator kit 8GB (2x4GB)

CPU fan: Cooler master hyper

Powersupply: Corsair pro 750W

+++

Okay, I will modify your selection a bit based on personal experience.

Mother: Intel DX79SR mobo (it has integrated SATA 6GB/s controllers, the ASUS one uses bad 3rd party ones)

CPU: i7-3820 (you don't want to go past four cores if you intend to use it mainly for gaming. Plus the 3930k is slower unclocked. Only go with the 3930k if you intend on heavily overclocking it. Also, the 3820 is about half the cost of the 3930.)

GPU: EVGA 680 (more powerful card, same price, but this is mostly personal preference as I prefer EVGA as a company when compared to virtually any other computer parts manufacturer in existence.)

HD1: 2x Intel 520 Series SSDs (They are extremely stable, reliable, and you will get more performance out of two 120's in RAID 0.)

HD2: HGST Ultrastar A7K2000 1TB HDD (Western Digital's standards have gone down a lot after the tsunami. Hitachi drives remain solid and reliable.)

RAM: Corsair Dominator kit 16GB (4x4GB) Timings set at 9-9-9-24 or less (It is extremely easy to use more than 8GB of RAM while running typical tasks. For example, my computer with 12 GB of RAM runs idle at around 5 GB usage just from having so many open applications.)

CPU fan: Intel RTS2011LC liquid cooling system (reliable, and very good, especially if you plan on OCing)

Powersupply: Corsair AX850 or OCZ ZT750 though the Corsair AX850 will provide you with overhead to upgrade if you want to (The other Corsair PSU you listed was not fully modular. You will want a fully modular PSU as it helps a LOT with managing airflow within your case.)

My questions regarding my preliminary selections is a s follows:

1. Have I chosen a decent motherboard?

2. Have I chosen the correct powersupply? (I probably won't be OC'ing, but like to keep possibileties open...)

3. Is the 2011 socket something that is supported in the future?

4. I'm also considering i7-3820, should I?

5. Is more than 8GB RAM useful in any scenarios? (Esp. in DCS)

6. Is this an awesome PC that runs DCS like a boss?

I would love to get some opinions and I appreciate all replies<3

1. Yes, although it is not what I would personally recommend given the choice. (see above)

2. No, again, see above.

3. Yes, future IVY-E procs will be using LGA 2011

4. If you don't plan on OCing, the I7-3820 will give you a performance edge in gaming over the I7-3930k.

5. DCS alone can use quite a bit of memory, and when you start piling other things on like a web browser, multiple flash applications, and VM's, the memory situation can quickly turn dire. I would suggest 16 GB (4x4GB, see above) because it makes it easy with your quad channel setup. (Remember, when installing your RAM, skip every other slot to increase performance)

6. My suggestion would run it better, though your selection should be relatively good.

7. It is really nice to finally see someone on these forums who wants THE BEST COMPUTER MONEY CAN BUY. Too many people on here with "my budget" this, and "my wife" that. :P

Edited by Pyroflash
  • Like 2

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Thanks for your replies so far! This is extremely helpful! (This is my first time building a rig piece by piece...). I will look into your suggestions tomorrow and make a revised build. But I can say already I will definitively go with the 3820 now, and I have no clue about cooling and power, so I will probably be following your suggestions there as well... I won't actually be buying this until January, so I have plenty of time to figure this out...

Thanks for your replies so far! This is extremely helpful! (This is my first time building a rig piece by piece...). I will look into your suggestions tomorrow and make a revised build. But I can say already I will definitively go with the 3820 now, and I have no clue about cooling and power, so I will probably be following your suggestions there as well... I won't actually be buying this until January, so I have plenty of time to figure this out...

In January the new Ivy-E's might be coming out, so you might want to take a look real quick again before you buy anything.

Regarding the PSU:

Corsair AX series, 80 Plus Gold, fully modular. Perhaps bump it to the 850W but I like lots of headroom.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Regarding the PSU:

Corsair AX series, 80 Plus Gold, fully modular. Perhaps bump it to the 850W but I like lots of headroom.

850W version should be the minimum (for the Corsair AX series at least), IMO 650 is way too low for the kinds of stuff that he wants.

First of all, thanks again for taking the time to follow my thread!

Ok, now I have looked closely at your suggestions pyroflash, and reviews, articles etc seems to agree with you on your selections. However, I'm keeping the ASUS radeon simply because I'm familiar with it and quite biased towards Radeon based on earlier experiences. I'm also keeping the second HD as my supplier only carries WD and Seagate and I can always upgrade in the future when the wounds to my wallet has healed:) (Although money isn't really an issue, it will affect the time I'll need to wait before I can buy it). Here is a revised and more complete list:

Casing: Cooler master storm stryker gaming big tower black (SGC-5000W-KWN1)

Mother: Intel DX79SR (BOXDX79SR)

CPU: Intel i7-3820 (BX80619I73820)

GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7970 (HD7970-DC2T-3GD5)

HD1: 2 x Intel SSD 520 Series 120GB 2.5" (SSDSC2CW120A3K5)

HD2: WD Caviar black 1TB 7200RPM (WD1002FAEX)

RAM: Corsair Dominator kit 16GB(4x4GB) (CL9-9-9-24) (CMP16GX3M4A1333C9)

CPU Cooling: Intel high performance liquid cooling (BXRTS2011LC)

PSU: Corsair AX 850W (CMPSU-850AXEU)

CD/DVD/BD: Asus BW-12B1ST (BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS) (Not really important)

Despite the cheaper CPU this setup is 10% more than the last iteration. Mostly because of the new HD setup. I'm not being cheep, but how much will I notice the difference of (2 x Intel SSD 520 Series 120GB 2.5") vs (Corsair Force series 3 SSD 240GB)? And I don't really care about boot times and such, it's really only DCS performance that counts (any of these setups is vastly overpowered for my other uses:thumbup:)

So here's my follow up Q's:

1. Is the HD1 upgrade really worth it?

2. Do I need a separate netcard, or are these sufficiently integrated in the motherboards nowadays? (I'm confused as to what I need..)

3. Is there any other questions I should be asking?

Edit:

4. The RAM I have listed is "only" 1333MHz; Shoulden't I be aiming a bit higher here? And further; I never really understood the timing thing (What does 9-9-9-24 mean and what does it matter?)

This is all so much fun!! I'm considering naming it "Enterprise" ;), but perhaps this is a bit cliché? Suggestions?

OT: My GF wanted to start simming with me(!!!) and that's why I'm buying a new comp so she can have the old. So after I have bought the comp, I will start saving for an awesome engagement-ring:thumbup:. Although I must say, preliminary attempts and tryouts are not encouraging: On her first unassisted landing, she tried to touch down the A-10C with a staggering descent rate of -6000 FPM in a steep nose-down attitude resulting (of course) in an immediate fireball. But we'll get there!:P:thumbup:

Edited by Inseckt

In January the new Ivy-E's might be coming out, so you might want to take a look real quick again before you buy anything.

Not worth waiting for those if he can already take current revision Sandy-E's. Also, haswell is coming shortly after and should be overal a more potent CPU. So Either wait for this one or stick with current Sandy-E.

Socket 1155 platforms with CPU's like I7-3770K usualy outpace its 2011 counterparts in gaming and are cheaper. This i7-3820 system should fine, however I think it costs a premium for not.

Edited by Pilotasso
  • Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Socket 1155 platforms with CPU's like I7-3770K usualy outpace its 2011 counterparts in gaming and are cheaper.

The 3770K is more expensive than the 3820, at least in my store. And also slower in regards to GHz's (Which matters alot with DCS being single threaded and all). It also has smaller memory. The only Advantage for the 3770K as I can see, is that it's 22nm, and I don't know what that is worth. Could be a lot as far as I know...

But I probably wont be changing the platform at this point anyways as I'm building for the future and plan on using this comp for many a year, and thus future compability with exchangeable parts will pay itself back. I'll go over it again in december anyways, but I really like the current setup.

And I do feel I am getting good value for my money on this...

Both CPU's are practically the same price here (difference of 5 Euro), however the Motherboards usually cost more, and because it needs 4 dimms installed at once so does the memory costs go up, at leats twice and up to 4 times the cost. In the end you have a more expensive platform. The fact that the 3770K is lower clocked is irrelavant because it is unlocked, it easelly reaches 4.5GHz and would be a waste not to use this feature and then the 3820 is superseeded, for less money. :)

Also, DCS is actually triple threaded. :) It uses up 2 full cores.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

First of all, thanks again for taking the time to follow my thread!

Ok, now I have looked closely at your suggestions pyroflash, and reviews, articles etc seems to agree with you on your selections. However, I'm keeping the ASUS radeon simply because I'm familiar with it and quite biased towards Radeon based on earlier experiences. I'm also keeping the second HD as my supplier only carries WD and Seagate and I can always upgrade in the future when the wounds to my wallet has healed:) (Although money isn't really an issue, it will affect the time I'll need to wait before I can buy it). Here is a revised and more complete list:

Casing: Cooler master storm stryker gaming big tower black (SGC-5000W-KWN1)

RAM: Corsair Dominator kit 16GB(4x4GB) (CL9-9-9-24) (CMP16GX3M4A1333C9)

Despite the cheaper CPU this setup is 10% more than the last iteration. Mostly because of the new HD setup. I'm not being cheep, but how much will I notice the difference of (2 x Intel SSD 520 Series 120GB 2.5") vs (Corsair Force series 3 SSD 240GB)? And I don't really care about boot times and such, it's really only DCS performance that counts (any of these setups is vastly overpowered for my other uses:thumbup:)

So here's my follow up Q's:

1. Is the HD1 upgrade really worth it?

2. Do I need a separate netcard, or are these sufficiently integrated in the motherboards nowadays? (I'm confused as to what I need..)

3. Is there any other questions I should be asking?

Edit:

4. The RAM I have listed is "only" 1333MHz; Shoulden't I be aiming a bit higher here? And further; I never really understood the timing thing (What does 9-9-9-24 mean and what does it matter?)

This is all so much fun!! I'm considering naming it "Enterprise" ;), but perhaps this is a bit cliché? Suggestions?

OT: My GF wanted to start simming with me(!!!) and that's why I'm buying a new comp so she can have the old. So after I have bought the comp, I will start saving for an awesome engagement-ring:thumbup:. Although I must say, preliminary attempts and tryouts are not encouraging: On her first unassisted landing, she tried to touch down the A-10C with a staggering descent rate of -6000 FPM in a steep nose-down attitude resulting (of course) in an immediate fireball. But we'll get there!:P:thumbup:

1. Yes, you will see vastly decreased load times. Windows will boot as fast as the animation will allow it to. You will be able to access data almost instantly. A single SSD is much, much slower in comparison (still faster than an HDD though).

2. Use the one integrated into your Mobo. They are fast enough, and in most cases the 1-2 ms increase you will see from adding a NIC will not offset the cost of one.

3. Only ask the questions you want the answers to ;). However if you can avoid it, try not to do any Xfire/SLI work if you can. It presents a lot of issues and in certain cases games will outright break with it enabled. Plus it isn't worth the money for a 15% increase in power.

4. No, 1333 is fine. Unless you are doing a lot of processing that requires swapping of data in the RAM (not very likely in gaming), then the increased clock of the RAM will not help at all. The timings e.g. 9-9-9-24, refer to the access times of the RAM and are as follows, measured in clock cycles.

Think of RAM as an array of data. It has several rows and columns, and it takes time to go from reading data in one row to reading that of another.

The first number is how long it takes to access the first bit of data in any given column, assuming the row is already being accessed. It is defined as a Column Address Strobe Latency or CAS Latency.

The second number is the time it takes between opening a particular row, and being able to access the columns of data within that row.

The third number refers to the time it takes between issuing a precharge command (essentially a "hey, I'm going to look inside you"), and being able to see inside a different row than is already being accessed.

The fourth number refers to the time needed between accessing a bank, and issuing a precharge command to read another row of memory. Generally if this number is too low relative to the other numbers, it can start to cause serious system instability. That it the reason that it is set so much higher than the rest. The other numbers can be set as low as the RAM will allow, generally regardless of the other timing settings.

5. Your case will want to be a Lian Li one if you can afford it. One of the major reasons I prefer these cases over the competition is because of their toolless design (you don't need any screwdrivers and weird screws to do work with your comp), and superb general craftsmanship.

6. Pay no attention to Pilotasso. It is not required that you fill up any specific number of DIMMS (memory slots) in order to make your system function correctly. Your proposed setup will allow as few as one, or as many as eight sticks of RAM inserted at a time, with any number in between if you so choose. The only restrictions as such would be that the RAM be on your motherboard's QVL (A list of qualified sticks that are proven to work with your mobo), and that all of the RAM are capable of operating at the same timings and frequency.

7. I forgot to say this initially, but make sure the first thing you do when you assemble your computer is to flash your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version. This will save you a lot of headaches in the future regarding your SATA 6GB/s Controllers, I promise you.

Here is where you can download the utility. The .BIO file is the BIOS flash file (Ignore the other files, these are for the ITK that lets OEMs customize BIOS options using an integrator toolkit), and can be flashed using the BIOS by pressing F7 repeatedly during the boot sequence. You put the .BIO file on a flash drive, which you will be able to access when flashing the file to your BIOS.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21553/eng/SIX7910J.86A.0525.BI.ZIP&lang=eng&Dwnldid=21553&DownloadType=BIOS&OSFullname=OS+Independent&ProductID=3454

Instructional video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8r2cfcNIeEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8r2cfcNIeE

Instructional PDF

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/f7biosflashupdateinstructions.pdf

Edited by Pyroflash

Also, DCS is actually triple threaded. :) It uses up 2 full cores.

where do you get that from? :huh: It's 2 threads used, 1 for main engine 1 for sound, and it doesn't use 2 full cores... sound used only small portion of second core... unless there's something new changed in 1.2.0 I am not aware of as I haven't checked anything like this lately

No longer active in DCS...

Direct X graphics and sound are in seperate cores. I would eat my hat if I am mistakened.

My PC specs below:

Once again, Thank you Pyro, your posts are extremely helpful and I am so grateful for your time! I would rep you more if I could! Here: It's on me: :drink:

1. Yes, you will see vastly increased load times. Windows will boot as fast as the animation will allow it to. You will be able to access data almost instantly. A single SSD is much, much slower in comparison (still faster than an HDD though).

Ok, I'm staying by the 2 x 120GB intel setup then:)

3. Only ask the questions you want the answers to ;). However if you can avoid it, try not to do any Xfire/SLI work if you can. It presents a lot of issues and in certain cases games will outright break with it enabled. Plus it isn't worth the money for a 15% increase in power.

No, I won't be touching that. Probably a very wise choice;)

4. No, 1333 is fine. Unless you are doing a lot of processing that requires swapping of data in the RAM (not very likely in gaming), then the increased clock of the RAM will not help at all. The timings e.g. 9-9-9-24, refer to the access times of the RAM and are as follows, measured in clock cycles.

Think of RAM as an array of data. It has several rows and columns, and it takes time to go from reading data in one row to reading that of another.

The first number is how long it takes to access the first bit of data in any given column, assuming the row is already being accessed. It is defined as a Column Address Strobe Latency or CAS Latency.

The second number is the time it takes between opening a particular row, and being able to access the columns of data within that row.

The third number refers to the time it takes between issuing a precharge command (essentially a "hey, I'm going to look inside you"), and being able to see inside a different row than is already being accessed.

The fourth number refers to the time needed between accessing a bank, and issuing a precharge command to read another row of memory. Generally if this number is too low relative to the other numbers, it can start to cause serious system instability. That it the reason that it is set so much higher than the rest. The other numbers can be set as low as the RAM will allow, generally regardless of the other timing settings.

Ok, but I went with a slightly faster one anyways, as the one I had previously chosen was only dual channel. Here's my current choice:

RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX XMP 1.5V Quad channel DDR3 240 DIMM 1600MHz CL7-8-8-24 4x4GB Kit (CMP16GX3M4X1600C7)

Slightly expensive, but was the best compromise I could find, and I'm betting on it's longevity as well...

5. Your case will want to be a Lian Li one if you can afford it. One of the major reasons I prefer these cases over the competition is because of their toolless design (you don't need any screwdrivers and weird screws to do work with your comp), and superb general craftsmanship.

Actually since my last post, I have fallen in love with the Corsair Obsidian 650D! I really like the elegant and discrete looks of it! It also has the tool-less design. My only concern is whether the thermal environment this case offers is chill enough. It has 2 x 200mm fans (one in top and one in front) and the exost at the back which will be served by the radiator and the intel fan. I'm pretty sure I should be ok as long as I don't OC, but I'm not so sure of the situation the day I'm going to OC, but by then, I'll probably know my system intimately and know what it can take...

7. I forgot to say this initially, but make sure the first thing you do when you assemble your computer is to flash your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version. This will save you a lot of headaches in the future regarding your SATA 6GB/s Controllers, I promise you.

Thank you for the heads up!

Current version:

Casing: Corsair Obsidian 650D (CC650DW-1)

RAM: Corsair Dominator kit 16GB(4x4GB) (CL7-8-8-24) 1600MHz Quad channel (CMP16GX3M4X1600C7)

I'm extremely satisfied with the current build. I feel like a kid on Christmas again I'm so exited! And if I know myself right I'll be able to coff up the money a bit sooner than january, cause I don't know how much more I can wait:music_whistling:

1. Yes, you will see vastly increased load times.

I meant decreased of course :doh:

At any rate, good luck. Who knows, maybe you will happen upon some unexpected money to buy it early, like a $10,000 bill lying in the street (You never know) :P.

Just a small input...

Going RAID with two SSD`s wont give you that much extra. Yes, it looks awesome on paper, but in reality it wont give you that much, also you will have other issues as well:

As soon as your RAID is built, it is identified by the OS as a single whole and you cannot access its constituents separately. This may be inconvenient. For example, you won't be able to update the firmware or view the S.M.A.R.T. information or perform a Secure Erase for the SSDs in your RAID. But the biggest problem is that the OS won't be able to use the TRIM command which is supposed to protect SSDs from performance degradation.

For the whole test of singel SSD versus RAID 0 with 2 SSD's check this out:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/kigston-hyperx-ssd-raid0_2.html

• Like 2

That depends heavily on your applications and SSD controller. The review you showed benches Sandforce chips in incompressible enviroments, this is precisely where these chips behave the worst. I would like to see tests done on marvel drives like the Vertex 4 and the Samsung 830.

My PC specs below:

Just a small input...

Going RAID with two SSD`s wont give you that much extra. Yes, it looks awesome on paper, but in reality it wont give you that much, also you will have other issues as well:

For the whole test of singel SSD versus RAID 0 with 2 SSD's check this out:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/kigston-hyperx-ssd-raid0_2.html

It does, I have done the tests myself, and a whole lot of it depends on the hardware and applications you are using. It also heavily depends on the SSD itself. Based on personal experience, Windows loads about 30% faster on a RAID 0, and applications see a load boost of about as much. Totally worth it.

As for SMART, you can always use other, OS independent tools to fetch that data, so you don't exactly lose the ability to track stats on the drives.

TRIM will still be enabled. I don't know where you got the idea that the OS is required to perform this function. It can be performed and executed by Windows, yes, but usually the firmware will take care of it if I am not mistaken. TRIM is not defrag. It is an ongoing process.

Plus, what Pilotasso said is correct.

**NOTAM: I am recovering from dental surgery, some or all of my statements are liable to make little to no sense at all, so feel free to ignore them.**

***Disclaimer: I don't really know much about how the controllers and software inside SSD's work, so don't trust me too much on that I say. Though RIADing them is worth it, I can tell you that much.***

Edited by Pyroflash

TRIM will still be enabled. I don't know where you got the idea that the OS is required to perform this function. It can be performed and executed by Windows, yes, but usually the firmware will take care of it if I am not mistaken. TRIM is not defrag. It is an ongoing process.

I'm just posting the info I find on reviews and tests :) In RAID 0, TRIM will not work and it's up to the firmware to handle it.

See this for more info: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/51455-intel-520-240gb-ssd-raid-0-performance-review-10.html

It does, I have done the tests myself, and a whole lot of it depends on the hardware and applications you are using.

Yes, you get a boost. But it's not like night and day as when you moved from a HDD to a SSD.

Looking at these:

windows-7-boot.png

stalker.png

4 and 3 seconds is not worth it in my opinion.

Would be better to have them separated, 1 for OS and 1 for games. With no negative sides to it.

But that's just my opinion :)

Either way, you will get a good computer with fast load times.

Happy flying :)

All I am going to say on this matter is that I seriously regret have gone with one SSD over the two 520's. It's like an SLI, that gives you more drive space with none of the terrible issues that present themselves in a dual processor graphics environment. Yeah, it won't saturate the line, but it does make things go a hell of a lot faster. For example doing production stuff, or things that require a high degree of seeking.

• 3 weeks later...

stay away from ATi.. Forewarn'd is for'arm'd>>> Save some more and eat canned beans but don't plunge into ATi. It's not as good as nVidia GeForce GTX670

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

^^ not as good?

HD7970 uses bit more power, it overclocks great, it has more vRAM and can run more monitors (I run 4 of mine) and they actually perform pretty much the same in games, and they cost aboout the same also, so how you come up with this is beyond me... nVidia fan I guess

^^ not as good?

HD7970 uses bit more power, it overclocks great, it has more vRAM and can run more monitors (I run 4 of mine) and they actually perform pretty much the same in games, and they cost aboout the same also, so how you come up with this is beyond me... nVidia fan I guess

The 670 comes in 4GB models now Kuky and it o/c's good from what I have heard. I haven't o/c'ed mine yet, but there is no need to. The price has come down on 7970's over the last few weeks. When I bought my 670 it was $419 and the 7970's where going for $80+ dollars more.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

The 670 comes in 4GB models now Kuky

yes and it costs some 30-40% more than 2GB version and more than HD7970 ;)

Look, GTX670 is a very good card but to say stay away from ATI when their conterpart HD7970 is just as good, and in some area better, and some worse (power consumption), its not right to say. To be fair, you'd have to say they are really about the same, fact is in some games GTX670 runs better while in others HD7970 runs better... which is why they are selling for about same price now... disregarding the 4GB version of the GTX670 which costs more anyway :)

Edited by Kuky