Graphics card

Ive been having some serious slow down issues when flying, to where flying the Mustang is an issue. My current system is a couple years old, but I don't have the money for a new system. I'm thinking my power supply (that came with the PC) is too little, so I thought about getting a 750W PSU. My graphics card is an ATI HD 4650. In looking around, I can get an HD 6850, or HD 6950 for a pretty good price. Question is, would that be enough? I know having an SSD would help, but I can't afford all 3.

I've been trying to decide what to do for my bday next month. More gauges for the cockpit, upgraded pc parts, or just saving up for a new complete PC with an i7-3770k. What do you all think?

ACER M3800

Q2800 2.5 quad core

6Ggb DDR3 ram

1.5TB HHD (2x750)

ATI HD 4650

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I would say, save for a new system, but that could take some time to save the money for it. What settings are you using now?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I'm actually using pretty low setting. No HDR, cockpit shadows are off, scenes, water and shadows on low. 512 for the cockpit. I've done a full defrag and cccleaner. My fps is still pretty crappy, like really bad, which is why I thought a new Graphics card would be good.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

That's why I never bothered getting DCS A-10C, my old computer couldn't handle it. Now there are too many games out and I don't have enough time to play them all. Just got DCSW and BS2 installed, so that's another game to add to trying to play.

If you can wait and build a new system that would be the way to go. If you can't wait try the new video card out, what PSU do you have and how many watts? Also you are using a 2.5, I had a e6600 2.4, so I feel your pain. Can you O/C it?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Your system is so old that a new graphics card or PSU probably wouldn't help much. Your CPU will bottleneck it to hell and back, and the rest of your computer probably isn't going to help you much either.

Save up, and when you can, replace the whole lot of it.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

What do you guys recommend? I've seen an HP H9T Phoenix or something like that, a little pricey and without SSD, but I could always install one of those? I'd like something that'll definitely do good with DCS and FSX. I really don't play any other games except a few ATC controller types.

Something along the lines of what I got, minus a few things. I bought all brand new, nothing reused from my other system. Haven't tested it in DCS yet, will try to do some test this week. In FC2 I get 50+ FPS with everything maxed out. BMS is the same FPS and Arma II runs silky smooth with everything maxed and view distance set at 2000 meters. How long would it take you to save about $1300 dollars?

What do you guys recommend? I've seen an HP H9T Phoenix or something like that, a little pricey and without SSD, but I could always install one of those? I'd like something that'll definitely do good with DCS and FSX. I really don't play any other games except a few ATC controller types.

Please, whatever you do, do not buy from any mainstream manufacturers. They price gouge you when it comes to enthusiast level computers. If you feel comfortable with it (it isn't all that hard if you can read an instruction manual), build your own computer. If you are really dead set that you will break something that way, or do not have the time for it, your best bet is to go to some build your own PC type sites and see if they have what you want.

As for recommendations, I can't really give you any until you give me some sort of budget first.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

^^^^ Please, seconded.:cry:

I would bet there is someone you already know that could build it for you, for a small fee, if you were to buy the parts. I have done it for people for next to nothing.

You will save so much money not to mention get exactly what you want inside the box.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Or at least, please don't buy HP. even a tower. Total crap.

You will find yourself with a "Super-gamer" tower, with 550W PSU. good for ATi Rage 128Pro AGP 4x.

I know them well, they're good advertiser, but...

Anyway, if i were you i would start to look into over clocking tools life setfsb.

I would also check sometimes the load charge on my GPU when playing. (if you have one screen, GPU-Z has a small history window) If the card is sitting to 100% load, then yes, it's overwhelmed.

If it's playing alone at 30% load activity, you can be sure something else like your CPU is not doing his job right.

it's a shame to think buying another machine less than 2 years after, but your not faulty. This time it's ED fault :D (even if the 4650 is not really a gaming card)

Edited by Erforce

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Please, whatever you do, do not buy from any mainstream manufacturers. They price gouge you when it comes to enthusiast level computers. If you feel comfortable with it (it isn't all that hard if you can read an instruction manual), build your own computer. If you are really dead set that you will break something that way, or do not have the time for it, your best bet is to go to some build your own PC type sites and see if they have what you want.

As for recommendations, I can't really give you any until you give me some sort of budget first.

I will third this BUT: Don't you end up paying more when your build your own? Economies of scale... IMHO you're still better off because you get exactly what you need, not a "generic" gaming rig.