TOW missile

redfish

Hello

Is the Bradley TOW in-game one you fire above the target and an EFP fires downwards for a kill from above? or is the TOW one you aim directly at the vehicle to kill it?

Red

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

As a former TOW II slinger and Section/Squad Leader, there is no top down TOW missile that I am aware of. It would be impossible to know when the missile is above the target and it would break the wire for such a radical movement, which would cause the TOW missile to go heywire and most likely miss your target.

Wire Guided Death!

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Like I said, it just flies a couple meters over the tracking unit's crosshairs line-of-sight. Fuze is, as I recall, a combination magnetic unit and laser altimeter/ terrain profiler.

And Patti, I expected better of you! Get back to your professional reading list! :D

*edit* btw, the TOW2B is simulated in Steel Beasts, too. And it DOES make a huge difference. Way more lethal. They even simulated how it'll detonate if it overflies a destroyed tank.

...I like playing the Brads in SB, could you tell?

*edit 2* Oh, btw, for anyone that's been keeping up on what I've been saying about the T80U being vastly overpowered in DCS? The reason the T72 above popped so dramatically is because the ammo is stowed in an unprotected autoloader carosel lining the entire turret floor. Yeah, by the way, the ammo stowage layout is used on the T80U. Horrible ammo layout.

Incidentally, ALSO the reason Shermans picked up the bad reputation for burning early in WW2. Had nothing to do with gasoline vs diesel; the ammo was just unprotected. Later on, they moved it into a glycol-filled honeycombed structure that prevented cook-offs, at which point Shermans became pretty survivable. Never did shake the bad reputation, though.

Edited by OutOnTheOP

Well I stand corrected. That is an amazing advancement in TOW technology. Is it in service or still being tested? This would be reactive armor. But it is still hampered with a stop and shoot I suppose but at 4.2 K that is well out of the reach of harms way. Woudl have to have a very well trained Gunner and Squad Leader with good knowledge of the battlefield layout to be shooting at those ranges.

Edited by Dusty Rhodes

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

What would be reactive armor? The explosions in the video shown? No, that's the ammo cassette inside the T72 cooking off (it's specified as "combat loaded" in the video). Or do you mean TOW2B is designed to combat reactive armor? (which it is... it doesn't even use HEAT warheads anymore, it uses a dual-array EFP which is more effective against reactive armor)

TOW2B has been in production for almost 20 years now. Plenty to go around.

Edited by OutOnTheOP

I don't think the TOW sports top-attack mode. AFAIK, it is wire guided. Konkurs is the same me tink.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I don't think the TOW sports top-attack mode. AFAIK, it is wire guided. Konkurs is the same me tink.

Isn't Konkurs a beam rider?

It is wire guided... checked wikipedia.

Failure is the mother of all success.

so is there Reactive armor on the T80s in game I shoot a tow from 4,480m and never seem to hit a T80U.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

so is there Reactive armor on the T80s in game I shoot a tow from 4,480m and never seem to hit a T80U.

I could be mistaken, but I thought the range of the TOW was around 3.5 km in the sim. A good test to verify how armor reacts is to have a group of T-80s and turn their AI off and shoot from about 1km away.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

well there shooting me from 4,480 meter with the reflekts missles.

and I will shoot from a T80U at the same distance and not even reach a Tow bradley.

But the AI seems to have unaffected distance.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

TOW (most versions) have an effective range of 3750 meters. Limited primarily by the length of guidance wire, I think.

TOW2B Aero has over 4500 meter range.

Reflecks has 5000 meter range... though I have my doubts about how often one would actually get to take a shot at that kind of range.

I never heard about the Raio-Frequnecy guided TOW 2B. Thanks Invader. I guess that was built to extend range and provide protection from infared jammers like Shtora. Any version of the TOW is one of my favorite ATGMs, besides the AGM-65 series.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's there to get rid of the cable. It probably doesn't protect against the jammers, since the crooshairs are still held on target optically.

Getting rid of the cable does a lot of things for you when you're shooting over power lines, water, trees, etc.

I never heard about the Raio-Frequnecy guided TOW 2B. Thanks Invader. I guess that was built to extend range and provide protection from infared jammers like Shtora. Any version of the TOW is one of my favorite ATGMs, besides the AGM-65 series.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda