How is the multiplayer experiance for beginners?

Burrem

if you want to skip the wall of text, read that wich is marked in red :)

I have just taken the step into the world of simulators (in this case DCS A-10C) and i really like the challange it provides with its complexity and depth, but i only enjoy "learning by doing" so no reading manuals for my part... heck i dont even read manuals when i assemble furniture :)

I was just curious, what can i expect when jumping into multiplayer? will players with more knowledge and experiance just stomp on me and kick me out wherever i go? or are there somewhere to practice with ppl in a similair situation?

I have around 1500+ hours of flight in arcade flying games like battlefield (BF1942/bf2/bf3) but i have kind of outgrown it now...

http://www.youtube.com/user/burre01 if anyone would be interested...

id really appreciate if anyone would take their time and get me kickstarted into the multiplayer/coop experiance (i know some basics, how to takeoff, how to handle the aircraft, use AGM's/cannon/aim-9 but landing is harder... survival rate is around 70% or something when i attempt it :p

So, im basicly asking how the multiplayer/coop community handles the less experianced players, im kind of afraid of jumping into a game and ruin someones experiance...

Usually it's pretty good. You will simply want to find someone that is patient and willing to work with you is all.

hehe, i assume it could take awhile before finding someone patient enough ^^

i guess ill work with the AI wingmen for alittle longer... :P

I'm sure you'll find plenty of people are more than willing to help a newbie. I know when I'm flying and someone asks a question in chat, typically one or two people plus myself will try to answer it. Bottom line though, the worst that could really happen is people are just going to wipe out most of the targets before you can get much of a shot. Just watch out for SAMs and AAA. Also IFVs (BMP-2, etc.) aren't nice to get hit by either.

Happy hunting!

edit: Oh, and don't worry about ruining anyone else's experience. So long as you don't crash a plane every 200 ft along the runway of your airbase, it's pretty much impossible to inadvertently affect someone else's day for the worse. If on the other hand, anyone was looking to grief some fellow pilots, there are ways to do it, but again it's not something that happens by accident.

Edited by pyromaniac4002

I think the least you should be able to do is basic flying . Its a real pain when people ask ..... how do you start it up !!!

Most servers are very friendly , and most people are more than willing to help you out , as they themselves were also once in the same position .

As others mentioned above , get on TS or Vent and speak with the people , its also easier and quicker to explain something to someone , and the immersion factor is a lot better .

Hope to see you on the servers soon , we can all learn from each other .

Oh yeah , dont ever take someone out intentionally ..... your name can get about real fast and then you may find yourself banned from certain servers , and dont blow the shit outta your own tanks or airfield .... lol .

Edited by badger66

Hook up on TS. Almost every 'dedicated' DCS server has it's own TS3 server.

I've only met really nice people online. And check the squad directory in the multiplayer section. There's both hardcore squads and more casual squads out there. Good luck!

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

but i only enjoy "learning by doing" so no reading manuals for my part... heck i dont even read manuals when i assemble furniture :)

Honestly: Assembling furniture is not exactly as complex as flying a combat aircraft... :smartass:

The best approach is grabbing the manual, and jumping into the AC, and then read, try and improve. No need for hours of reading alone, but by not reading the manual at all, you will somehow keep stuck in a world between BF and real simulators.

And guys saying "I can handle all weapon systems but landing is difficult"... :huh:

Sorry mate, but that just let's me laugh a moment... :doh: ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Honestly: Assembling furniture is not exactly as complex as flying a combat aircraft... :smartass:

The best approach is grabbing the manual, and jumping into the AC, and then read, try and improve. No need for hours of reading alone, but by not reading the manual at all, you will somehow keep stuck in a world between BF and real simulators.

And guys saying "I can handle all weapon systems but landing is difficult"... :huh:

hehe no i cant handle "all" weaponsystems, i have barely scratched the surface tbh...

i know im doing many things wrong, for example i just toss GBU-12's manually on targets, its kind of crude but seems to work "OK" for now...

But why do you pick a study sim when you don't want to study??

Ever considered Flaming Cliffs?? Way easier to learn and fun to fly and fight with.

I hope this doesn't sound offending somehow. Just curious...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

But why do you pick a study sim when you don't want to study??

Ever considered Flaming Cliffs?? Way easier to learn and fun to fly and fight with.

I hope this doesn't sound offending somehow. Just curious...

i enjoy it even when i dont know everything... i do look up some videos on certian things, but im not going to dig myself into some manual i will probably not understand anyway :P

im very bad at collecting information theoretical or by reading/teachers, i need to do it myself to understand it.

try joining a group/squadron/clan etc. Then you will have a group of people that you can get to know and learn with/from. When you join a public multiplayer session it still feels like playing solo since there is little cooperation without TS.

There is a list somewhere on these forums of all the squadrons. You can check out flight-sim-fanatics.com though, a very relaxed group that just likes to hang out with each other.

System:

i7 920 @3.8ghz; GTX 560ti 448; 6gb DDR3 1600 ram; 750gb HDD; 750w PSU; Win7 64bit; x52 Pro; TrackIR 5

There's a few critical chapters in the manual. Eg the CDU pages. My advice is to have the manual in front of you while messing around in the game at the same time if that suits you best.

You are joking correct? The CDU pages are a nightmare.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

I think there are good servers to join where you want someone to help guide you and there are some other servers where it may not be fair to expect help on basic elements of the sim. I think both kinds of servers are loaded with people who want to help- but it depends on what they're doing. Increase your odds by seeking out training missions.

I know I've enjoyed the assistance of many great simmers when I got in a jam and I'm FOREVER asking guys in my server (even now)- how do I hook SPI again... Unfortunately in my line of work I'm away and unable to play a week at a time so I get rusty.

However- I know as a co-host of a 24/7 server (as long as it doesn't crash) that while we're ALL very happy to help with some of the finer points of the sim... if you're going into a "mission" server guys will be concentrating on their own tasks and their own issues. In some cases it's taken hours to get to where they are in the mission and just won't have as much patience with someone brand new. In some cases, they'll simply be orbitting waiting for a window or for a wingman to catch up and will have a few minutes to walk you through a step or two.

There are training servers where I'm certain everyone is there expecting to either help, be helped or to mutually learn some of the finer points (like the 10 minute startup)... Most of the time, however, it's almost impossible to commit such aid to text chatting and would be exclusive to TS3 or another chat program. If you're not on mic... then you will be left wanting.

My suggestion to you is at LEAST get comfortable with the information that's available in the training missions so that you're not lobbing guided munitions blindly and asking guys how to deploy decoys. Guys are more than willing to help someone who has helped themselves first- otherwise you might find that you get short shrift no matter what server you're in.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

First you need to learn how to start the aircraft if you don't know already.

Also learn to use F10 so you can figure out where the runway is.

Do NOT throw the arm switch before taking off.

Do NOT shoot in the direction of a friendly player or vehicle or even town.

Keep your eyes open when taking off and landing. Once again using the F10 view will show you where any planes are in relation to the runway.

The first few MP flights I simply just flew around and even followed a couple of people. Make sure you give them room. Be aware that collisions will down the aircraft.

After you get comfortable start with a single weapon system. Say the Maverick. Fly some missions with only that weapon until you get a handle on it. Then switch to a different weapon until you learn that one. Repeat for the rest.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

I think multiplayer is rather bad for newbie. Most of the servers are running hard missions, which require few aircrafts for cooperate, and are much much more difficult than singpleplayer ones. Just read manual, watch youtube tutorials and try singleplayer.

I think multiplayer is rather bad for newbie. Most of the servers are running hard missions, which require few aircrafts for cooperate, and are much much more difficult than singpleplayer ones. Just read manual, watch youtube tutorials and try singleplayer.

There are beginner friendly servers, too.

Dragon's training mission for example. Often hosted on STP VIII.

'Frett'

Most of the information in the manual is not required to fly the A-10C, but some of it is essential, such as knowing how its hydraulic system, as well as other things you won't learn from just flying it.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

There are beginner friendly servers, too.

Dragon's training mission for example. Often hosted on STP VIII.

Yea, Dragon's training is good for learning. But Dragon's missions I find demanding :joystick:

he he he!.....made me laugh too :megalol:, but seriously, there are loads of good guys and good groups with patience to teach and help, so my advice, get learning and practicing with the basics...starting procedure, Taxying, Take Off, basic Navigation.....and Landing. Get them sorted out, and then apply to join a Squadron / Group to further your training / experience. On a final note....remember that there is 'No Final Goal'....because you never know everything, and you never stop learning! :book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:pilotfly: