Binoculars in the KA-50

binocular laser and IR modes

I just wondering what made you think that the shark has such capabilities. AFAIK DCS Black Shark only has NVG (Night Vision Googles) and the normal zoom... I might be wrong though:music_whistling:

Compuer Specs

Intel Core i7 920 D0 @2.6Ghz

Asus P6T7 WS rev2

6GB Corsair Dominator GT CMG6GX3M3A2000C8

2xHP 300GB 10K SAS RAID 1

Corsair AX1200

Nvidia Geforce GTX 580 3GB

Water Cooling Specs:

Koolance CPU-360

Koolance ASP6T7WS

2xSwiftech MCP655 with EK D5 Dual Top

1xBlack Ice GT S 360 XFlow

1xPhobya Xtreme 400

Tubing:Tygon 2001 1/2"

2xBitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm

Swiftech MCres Rev1

Another question: Does the SHKVAL have a night vision mode? At night, it is very hard to designate a target using the SHKVAL.

The Ka-50 we operate does not. Other real life versions have FLIR capabilities though. Strap some illumination rockets on to light up the target zone :)

The Ka-50 isn't designed for night attack without a illumination.

So: No

why not?? why we can not hit a target if I keep my reticle over the target I have visual range with the targeting system, or the laser have not the same response am night??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the KA 50 has a a mounted spotlight also that can be panned in all directions for soft skin targets :p nvg works with nvg lighting etc, but other poster advice works well, have rocket pod with illumination flares. or at the very least WP marking targets so you can mark the ground if spot the target and dont want to have to refind it again or at least give you a ref point.

Call Sign -Winter-

"The North Never Forgets"

why not?? why we can not hit a target if I keep my reticle over the target I have visual range with the targeting system, or the laser have not the same response am night??

I never told you cant hit!

I'm just passing the info that the deployment doctrine of the Ka-50 we have in the Sim doesn't include night-attack.

You can read this also up in the manual.

Again:

It may works in some occasions... - but it is not very effective and your survivability is very low when going alone into a "night-Hunt" in unknown terrain.

Reminder : a IR-homing rocket that is locked on you doesn't care if the sun is shining or not.... :) and seeing a Ka-50 firing rockets in the night is like waving a big sign "Hello! Here I am"

Further : If you are able to spot a enemy - he can spot you too!

Edited by PeterP

It is possible to fire illumination rockets for yourself, but you only have time to fire 1 Vikhr before it's dark again. It's still possible to fire a second Vikhr, but you will have to track your target manually.

Edit: Would be nice if the illumination effect is fixed from ground view though. It's broken atm, possible WIP.

Edited by Dejjvid

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

• 8 months later...
Another question: Does the SHKVAL have a night vision mode? At night, it is very hard to designate a target using the SHKVAL.

I set the contrast/brightness controls on the SHKVAL to see pretty good using the SHKVAL to target with. Is doable. There is a night mission in Single Player to practice with.

I fly at night quite a bit. Some Multiplayer servers are on 24 hours and some are pitch black dark.

I fire the Vikhrs in manual mode and though I can laser range the target at night, they usually will not lock with a flashing rectangle box. But I do kill what I aim at, within range.

I fly to the target area using the NVG.

I have a Logitech G510 keyboard with 18 programmable keys, in 3 modes with 54 possible key settings. I just use Mode 1. My G2 key is the zoom HUD view forward center. My G1 key is the view out front without the cockpit in the way of servers that allow it. Used to use the Logitech G15 keyboard, but needed more keys to map.

I fly at night and usually survive a sortie, rtb to refuel and rearm, multiple times. I stay low.

To say blatantly the Shark is not a night fighter is a bit lame.

The sim is a game, not real life, depends how the mission is setup as to the difficulty via infrared missles and being seen by the "enemy". I remember my combat training at night in the woods and how a single lit cigarette can be seen quite a ways away; use that as a reference point and aim your rifle accordingly.

My Shark is stock out of the box, no mods.

(Resurrected this old thread, doing a search looking for something else and saw the topic.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How is the spot light panned? I can extend and retract it but am unaware of how to move it.

Never tried it, though have a look at the BS manual page 131. Hope that helps.

Note that both lights can also be controlled via the "ПОСАД ФАРЫ" switch on the collective, independent of the "ОСН-РЕЗЕРВ" switch position. Additionally, you may slew the main landing light by holding down the right control key and pressing [;], [,], [.] and [/]

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

How is the spot light panned? I can extend and retract it but am unaware of how to move it.

Depending on your HOTAS setup, this can be a great use for the cyclic HAT switch (at least, if your Shkval slew controls are on your collective). I use a TM Warthog and the HAT switch works perfectly for the spotlight.

Whether it's useful in combat is another discussion entirely. I wouldn't try it against anything that can shoot back. If you're on the ground getting shot and you see bullets coming from the big bright spotlight in the air, what is your reaction going to be? You'll probably start aiming for the big flying spotlight =P

Edit: Illumination flares are actually pretty useful if you're flying with a wingman in multiplayer. You can have them hover a couple hundred meters off to your side, launching flares every 5-10sec while you engage with Vikhrs. When you're out of Vikhrs or they're out of flares, switch roles. You can rifle off your munitions and clear lightly-defended targets pretty quickly this way. Alternatively, get a Su-25 or A-10C to drop some of their fancy flares that burn longer and brighter than yours. Those are even more useful!

The spotlight comes in handy for night landings onto a FARP, especially using my G1 keyboard key, explained in my previous post, Message #17. But unless the server's mission is especially dark, it is rather useless. I turn it on when landing even in daylight just so, hopefully, anybody around me sees it. It is nice for taxiing.

My stick's profile uses a Shift function with the CH Pro Throttle's ministick, a tiny joystick, moveable in X and Y axis. Within Options/Controls for the Ka-50 Sim under the four selections of "Spotlight". I have it scripted into my CH Control Manager in a .cms file. If an item is not designated with a key or key sequence within the sim, it can be defined to do so, hence why I have the Logitech G510 keyboard. It can also be scripted. But the spotlight has designated key sequences, 4 selections.

Edited by DieHard
Typos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]