• Mikoyan MiG-25PDSL 'Foxbat-E'
    • Sukhoi SU-25KM 'Scorpion'
    • Sukhoi Su-22M5 'Fitter'
    • Sukhoi Su-35BM 'Flanker-E'
    • Sukhoi Su-24M2 'Fencer-D'
    • Sukhoi PAK FA
    • Mikoyan MiG-35 'Fulcrum-F'

Not necessarily. Think EPU in the F-16.

Yes, an EPU to get you home, where all unnecessary avionics and electrical systems are shut down to prevent overheating so as you can get home or to a safe ejection zone with the 10 minutes of life your EPU will give you.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, is your HUD tied to the FCS? I can turn the HUD off in A-10C and drop LGBs, JDAMs and Mavericks on things all day long.

I am also for completely disabling FCS in case of hit (where HUD is out)... I'm going to make a poll... then possibly create a report for ED

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

EDIT: Frostie, pilots stay in the aircraft as long as they can. It's not just 15 pilots that do that, guys flying Russian birds do the same thing. And in FC1/2 they used magic heaters.

I know this, I mentioned AMRAAMs as a point in case, 77s are just as crazy, but with ETs, 73s and 9's they need to have boresight on the target to stand a chance. But then again countless times i've helmet locked a guy and killed him with 73 while I was a burning wreck, just plain daft.

I don't have a bugbear with F-15's in FC3, bring em on the more the merrier.

Edited by Frostie

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Why, is your HUD tied to the FCS? I can turn the HUD off in A-10C and drop LGBs, JDAMs and Mavericks on things all day long.

You flipping the switch to off is not the same as loosing a system due to damage.

No longer active in DCS...

I am also for completely disabling FCS in case of hit (where HUD is out)... I'm going to make a poll... then possibly create a report for ED

Create a Mantis report for the issue if you feel that there is a bug/behaviour that needs to be corrected/revised/looked at. You will then engage in discourse with the relevant developer and get to the bottom of things without unnecessary distraction.

Do not refer to polls or the like in said report. Stick to the issue at hand without links to forum posts, polls (especially polls) and discussions.

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

i agree, when engines are on fire usually it means your power generation is OFF, meaning FCS is invalid, you can't do shit.. all you can do is eject-if you are lucky that is..

You still have your APU, if you are lucky, and this should be more than enough to power the systems needed to fire missiles. Provided you can get the fire out, and into a stable glide, bet your ass that that wingman will be thinking about supporting his lead. If he can't, surely he isn't going to do an uncontrolled ejection over any random plot of land. Having a wing torn off is one thing, but an engine fire, especially a minor one, can be put out, and perhaps the plane can be salvaged if landed on a road or dirt airfield somewhere.

in RL when a jet gets hit pilots don't think about doing damage control as some said-that is when plane is hit and is on FIRE! and spinning) but they eject ASAP..

i remember the confession of that F-16 pilot who ejected during the 1995 agression over R. Srpska and got hit by a SAM.. i didn't see in his confession thinking "okei, let me just turn around and fire one of those HARM missiles to get that SAM who is targeting me))lol.. you just eject, simple as that..

You are right in this case, if an F-16C is spinning, especially if it is low to the ground, you usually have BIG problems. As many have said though, it does depend, and you have checklists memorized. Some of those checklists have an 'EJECT' in bold near the end, some do not.

actually in the very first flanker they simulated really nicely..if you got hit by a missile you automatically saw your dude eject ..

it's more realistic than the spinning kamikazo spewing fire and raining death even though in his death spiral )) lol..

And what if that missile only inflicts minor damage? If you are still able to fly your plane, you aren't simply going to hit the panic button.

But about RL and simulation, of course we are very far away.. as some have mentioned, you have integrated AD systems, GAI's, cruise missiles fired in volley to knock off the airfields so in effect grounding even the most amazing F-22's .. so in real war if it ever happened we actually don't know what would happen, all that has happened so far were controlled massacres ..not really wars.. i mean US vs. Iraq? or Libya?..seriously?)) that passes for war today? .. c'mon.. get serious.

As Danilop said..in RL nukes would start flying very soon, .. that is the reason why NATO chickened out in Georgia.. Russia was pushed against the wall, and if USN would intervene Russia couldn't back off, would have to use nukes-tactical to knock off the USN, after a loss of a US aircraft carrier and a public relations disaster of explaining to american voters how russians sank an aircraft carrier and killed over 5000 sailors there would be a "retaliation" with tomahawks-nuke armed and would hit Russian military bases, then russia retaliates and hits US bases in Romania, Germany, UK, ..then US ,..etc etc.. get it? ..it get out of control very fast.. all this talk about some stupid radar and missile of AMRAAM and ER is childish.. it matters nothing in RL..

in RL things would escalate and before you could say "phuck" you would be on your way to meet your maker )) lol..

This is an extremely touchy subject, but basically the point of nukes is as a deterrent against other countries using nukes. They are extremely unlikely to serve as a deterrent against a conventional attack, simply because that would defeat the whole purpose of having nukes in the first place. It may sound irrational and silly, but the whole point of having nukes is to never use them.

The only time I could see a country run by people who actually care about anything using nukes is when their country literally faces all out annihilation. The U.S. would literally have to be cluster bombing Russian cities with napalm before Russia would probably resort to nuclear weapons.

The same goes for the U.S. Russia would have to be sending in soldiers to line up civilians in the street for execution before the button would ever be pressed.

The only other time this would potentially happen is if a bunch of really unqualified, panicky people got control of the entire missile command structure from the presidency down.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Create a Mantis report for the issue if you feel that there is a bug/behaviour that needs to be corrected/revised/looked at. You will then engage in discourse with the relevant developer and get to the bottom of things without unnecessary distraction.

Do not refer to polls or the like in said report. Stick to the issue at hand without links to forum posts, polls (especially polls) and discussions.

I will, however I do want to know how rest of the guys feel about this first, ultimately developers will have the final word ;)

I will, however I do want to know how rest of the guys feel about this first

Feelings are irrelevant for the purposes of bug reporting/rectification. All it does is delay the fix, if there is anything to fix, that is :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Feelings are irrelevant for the purposes of bug reporting/rectification. All it does is delay the fix, if there is anything to fix, that is :)

I'd call this a feature... hm... but now in second thought it could be seen as a bug also

Voted random. But I would like to see weighted random, weighting beeing in close correlation with actual statistics from RL - what percentage of RL pilots sacrificed they life not ejecting and firing at the opponent.

I believe random would be the best solution as well where the percentage for no working weapon systems was bigger.

Edited by Teknetinium

Teknetinium 2017.jpg
                        51st PVO Discord SATAC YouTube

Who says they were sacrificing their life?

Engine fire != explosion or death.

Most pilots who had a controllable aircraft on fire were either on their way out of SAM country or otherwise getting out of dodge, the caveat being that there were no bandits around to fight with. The overwhelming evidence seems to be that if your aircraft is controllable, and the hit didn't kill you outright in your seat, you're not going to die.

Voted random. But I would like to see weighted random, weighting beeing in close correlation with actual statistics from RL - what percentage of RL pilots sacrificed they life not ejecting and firing at the opponent.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Both 120's and 77's are boresighted off the rail. Their scan pattern is just 10 degrees when you don't have a lock. Basically your target must be in the HuD.

I know this, I mentioned AMRAAMs as a point in case, 77s are just as crazy, but with ETs, 73s and 9's they need to have boresight on the target to stand a chance. But then again countless times i've helmet locked a guy and killed him with 73 while I was a burning wreck, just plain daft.

I don't have a bugbear with F-15's in FC3, bring em on the more the merrier.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is that huge psychological moment of knowing that your airplane is severely damaged (you shit your pants, plainly speaking :) ) and if you follow training procedures, you stop fighting:

2.2. Establishing Priorities

It is an acknowledged fact that during the heat of any mission, there are occasions when you can't do

everything in the time available. This requires assigning priorities (task prioritization). At the top of the

list are things you have to do—do them first. Lower on the list are things you'd like to do—do them later

when they don't interfere with the have-to-do things. Your list of have-to-do tasks should be established

long before you get near an airplane. Some basic top priority tasks are:

· Maintain aircraft control.

· Never hit the ground (or anything attached to it).

· Never hit anything in the air (i.e., your lead/wingman).

· Never run out of fuel.

· Never let anything shot from the ground or air hit your airplane.

I'm not saying that there are no heroic actions (especially during defensive wars ), but even than those acts are counted in per mils. Otherwise they couldn't make enough Medals of Honor, Purple Harts, Order of Lenins or whatever the highest bravery medal in your country is. ;)

Who says they were sacrificing their life?

Engine fire != explosion or death.

Most pilots who had a controllable aircraft on fire were either on their way out of SAM country or otherwise getting out of dodge, the caveat being that there were no bandits around to fight with. The overwhelming evidence seems to be that if your aircraft is controllable, and the hit didn't kill you outright in your seat, you're not going to die.

Edited by danilop

... putting the discussion back on track , ok Russian airplanes have secrets stuff that none can share , but , what about their close Chinese twins , minding J-11 and J-15 ? Will it be the same security level ?

My 2 cents are : I like US airplanes , but for a good challenge , we also need a good counterpart to fight with, with improve perfomances in both sides. I dont care if this missile is more effective than this one , unless the tactics in game can work fine. I remember once Kuky and I flying with 2 Mig29A shooting some good missiles on enemy guys.

Edited by eldiablo155
  • Like 1

61st Sq 'Griffins'- Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

Good luck in finding a stat like that.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Chinese fighter would bring huge sales boost to ED ;)

Basically DCS jet would.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Yes, an EPU to get you home, where all unnecessary avionics and electrical systems are shut down to prevent overheating so as you can get home or to a safe ejection zone with the 10 minutes of life your EPU will give you.

I read FCS as Flight Control, not Fire Control System, in which case you are correct.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I'm not saying that I will take the word of RL pilots over your assumptions, but I'm going to take RL pilot's words over your assumptions.

There is that huge psychological moment of knowing that your airplane is severely damaged (you shit your pants, plainly speaking :) ) and if you follow training procedures, you stop fighting:

I'm not saying that there are no heroic actions (especially during defensive wars ), but even than those acts are counted in per mils. Otherwise they couldn't make enough Medals of Honor, Purple Harts, Order of Lenins or whatever the highest bravery medal in your country is. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good luck in finding a stat like that.

It shouldn't be overly difficult Cali - how many died during combat (not ejecting, basically modern day Kamikaze :)) with confirmed missile launching at enemies while in damaged plane. There are wingman and there are AWACS around to confirm this.

Basically, you can count how many (posthumous) medals are awarded in recent conflicts, and then read about circumstances looking for bravery including not ejecting/fighting in hit airplanes.

And then you find percentage against sorties flown /planes hit ...

Maybe you could never find exact percentage, but to sound, rational and inquiring mind it's obvious that this percentage is extremely small ...

Edited by danilop