Aim120 target selction problem...

bflagg

Useing the Quick F15 fly mission....

Once your facing the two Su17, enable TWS mode with your radar. (BVR, and 120 is enabled) since your in range, once you select your target the TD box will appear on the HUD.

wait a few till your comfortable to fire. then fire. (10nm -ish..)

Now zoom in your view.

The aim120 will hit the non-designated target..every time, but yet

radar lock is still on the other craft.

I'm thinking the largest radar return reflection is what is guideing

the 120 to it's target... but since both aircraft are the same.......

Bug? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Brett

The largest radar reflection should be the closest aircraft, but RCS is a very tricky thing - very affected by aspect.

It isn't a bug, and I don't get the results you do (ie. the missile will sometimes go after the designated target, sometimes not)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

only if you're talking many miles of seperation between the two aircraft, aspect is much more important to RCS.

perhaps the slammer is simply grabbing onto the closest target. great way of neutralizing in a fight against eagles - first guy is sacrificial lamb ;)

When you're locking the one aircraft from formation, the other a/c will be like chaff for the ARH or SARH, so this is modelled in LockOn ;)

With Best Regards!

Daniel Tuseyev

Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad and Rise Of Flight projects manager

only if you're talking many miles of seperation between the two aircraft, aspect is much more important to RCS.

perhaps the slammer is simply grabbing onto the closest target. great way of neutralizing in a fight against eagles - first guy is sacrificial lamb ;)

The counter to that is a slammer spam - 3-4 missiles launched with proper timing. The first 1-2 will destroy the lead, the rest will start searching for targets.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

When you're locking the one aircraft from formation, the other a/c will be like chaff for the ARH or SARH, so this is modelled in LockOn ;)

Ok.. I can see this one for the game.. makes sense...

If this is true, then approaching from a radically different vector should yield different results....

I'll test it tonight.

Thanks,

Brett