Wow!

Belisarius

So I am finally familiar enough with the a10 to try flying actual missions. Started yesterday with the mission generator.contacted the JTAC who sends me after a column of tanks heading northwest. Finally was able to find them with tgp but man, those guys are really moving! Hard to spot and track them through the trees! Reflew mission several times cause I was heads down so much I kept getting shot down. Finally managed to get a maverick locked on and rifled, only to have the game immediately crash! Frustrating! I need a way to correlate what I'm doing heads down with what I can see out there. Any pointers on developing that kind of situational awareness..other than practice? Really have a new respect for the guys who do this for real!!

What really helped me was becoming very familiar with the HOTAS and all of its functions. I used to spend alot of time trying to fly with my left hand and mousing with my right. A/P is your friend! Once you get the location from JTAC orbit in a safe area while you input on CDU. Take your time. No bonus for rushing in guns blazing. Thrustmaster MFDs also helped eliminate alot of switchology SNAFUs while flying.

I found the patience part really lowered my death total. Now i take the time to research the threats and avoid them all together. I have spent an hour over the battle field searching for targets, even topping off at the tanker once. Accually very rewarding to return home after an hour or so in the air.

Edited by smnwrx

Thanks. Part of my problem with rushing in is due to some of the earlier missions I flew all targets were destroyed by the time I found them! Is there any advantage to manually entering coordinates into the cdu as opposed to hooking the red triangle after data transfer?

I thought AI JTACs with EPLRS could send red triangles in multiplayer too?

I believe so too. Just human JTACs cant.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

I believe so too. Just human JTACs cant.
ok well this too. no advantage to imputing them manually that i know of. Remember to switch between light and dark contrast when searching for targets, also check out the mission planner screen and compare landmarks around your target area. I know easier said then done. Even for the guys that do this for a living, target ID is still tough with the MK1 eyeball.

Hey Belisarius, i know the feeling of starting to get a hang of the hog, as i will never start learning, here's my advice.

Orbit the area and engage autopilot while you are focused on the TGP

if you are still not comfortable engaging auto pilot while you are searching for a target, then monitor the icon on the bottom left of the TGP, it's like an ADI, see that you are flying straight and that you aren't pitching down, do a practice by just looking at some random target, pitch up and down, then look at that icon (sorry i don't know it's name) and see what it looks like when you are nose up and nose down and rolling, then that will help you later, it helped me a lot.

Get used to using your HOTAS to the max, for example, when you see the NEW TASKING message, you can get rid of it by pressing TMS left short, and do that until you see the heading tape on the HUD.

When you find the target also contact JTAC and send tell it CONTACT, then JTAC will tell you if it's your target or not.

when you find the target do TMS up SHORT and set to POINT then do TMS up LONG to make it your SPI, then switch to maverick press CHINA HAT FWD LONG and the maverick will point straight to your target (as long as you are within sight)

Also check your F10 on the comms menu in case there's a SEAD flight that can be called in (on the campaign there usually is) just make sure you are on the right frequency because once you call it once even if you are on a different frequency you can't call it again.

Before entering the mission, click on MISSION PLANNER in between the FLY and BACK buttons there you can set your own payload to help you with the mission.

I'm sure there's better advice than mine out there but that's how i've learned all this time, if you have any question just PM :-)

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

Also check your F10 on the comms menu in case there's a SEAD flight that can be called in (on the campaign there usually is) just make sure you are on the right frequency because once you call it once even if you are on a different frequency you can't call it again.

No thats wrong. F10 menu items just flip a flag. You can see that in Mission Editor. You can call F10 menu items on any freq using any radio. I know not very realistic and also inconsistent but thats how they work. All other things like ATC, JTAC, Tankers and your wingman need the correct freq and radio to be contacted (exept you use easy comms).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]