Is DCS BS1 and WH compatible with DCS World?

Bucic

I couldn't find the answer. I have DCS WH bought directly from ED and BS 1 from D2D.

My questions:

1. Are those modules compatible with DCS World e.g. will they be (or are they already) available for me free of charge as DCS World modules?

2. Did they get get updates to keep them up to date with the latest DCS World? Will they in the nearest future?

3. What does the serial management UNBIND button do? http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1504676#post1504676

4. Should I "unbind" serials of any products I'd like to sell?

Edited by Bucic

Yes and No respectively. your Warthog key is good for the WH in World. You need BS2 for the Shark in World.

Also, don't buy the BS1->2 upgrade if you want to play in world, it is an unbelievable nightmare to get it working right. Just buy BS2 full version.

Yes and No respectively. your Warthog key is good for the WH in World. You need BS2 for the Shark in World.

Also, don't buy the BS1->2 upgrade if you want to play in world, it is an unbelievable nightmare to get it working right. Just buy BS2 full version.

I bought BS1 and the upgrade and it wasn't a nightmare for me. Just make sure you download the right file and it worked great for me.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

How did you do it ? Its quite hard to find a clear explanation on this

This is what I did and it worked just fine for me after I made sure I installed Ka-50 upgrade KA-50_bsupd_1.2.0.63205

Installed in this order

DCSW 1.2

BS1, activate it when it ask, when you start up the game

BS2, activate it when it ask, when you start up the game

install KA-50_bsupd_1.2.0.63205 exe

Make sure you install KA-50_bsupd_1.2.0.63205 <----this is if you bought the upgrade and not KA-50_1.2.0.63205. The bsupd is for people that bought the upgrade. I was wondering why I couldn't get into any servers also and I went back and saw that I install the wrong patch.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I did the upgrade as well with no issues.

I had BS1 from steam long ago, installed it.

Installed DCS World.

Purchased and DL'd the BS2 upgrade module into DCS World.

Launched BS in DCS World.

Entered code of the upgrade.

Played the game.

Not sure how "hard" that was....

i5 3570k @ 4.3

560ti GTX 2gig

8gig RAM

Intel SSD

Win7 64bit

I had a nightmare experience with the BS2 upgrade but it was my own fault. I had downloaded the BS2 1.2 full version by mistake and after installing I got activation messages. I tried to activate but it got confused as I have BS2 1.1.1.1 upgrade installed. After that my BS2 activation was corrupted.

In the end, after requesting help from DCS support with no response for a week, I saw the issue addressed in the troubleshooting wiki. I deleted the BS2 license key in the registry as recommended, downloaded the correct BS2 1.2 upgrade and installed, then it activated OK.

Lesson learned - pay attention to what you download!

2. Did they get get updates to keep them up to date with the latest DCS World? Will they in the nearest future?

Of course - otherwise there is no sense in a unified engine - and ED would shoot themselves in the foot.

Don't you think so?!:)

3. What does the serial management UNBIND button do? http://forums.eagle.ru

When you might need it. There is an error during login. Eg. "Invalid Product Key". It might appear when serial number is bound to one website account and you login with another one. Then you open this page and unbind your serial number. You don't need to find the right account any more. Just unbind serial number and login with any account.

What is not clear to you ?

This function will even allow you to gift a copy . You can unbind it from your MP account and someone else can go on-line with this copy.

Because a DCS key gets bound to the master-server by the login that is used the first time you go in a MP game with it.

• Like 1

Ad. 2.

It's gaming business so no - it's not obvious. See * below.

Ad. 3.

No, TBH it was not clear to me and I don't consider it even potentially clear. There are:

a. serial number

b. account

c. login

Just let assume I'm an outsider, and I can perfectly be considered one, as I got completely out of touch with DCS evolution. So:

1. what account?
  2. a login for the account above or a login to some different account? (Note that you have different logins to forum, digitalcombatsimulator.com and maybe even more, I don't know, maybe there's a multiplayer account... - see the point?)
  3. "unbound with"?

An additional personal note. The whole ED's approach to serial numbers and now with the option to unbind a serial number from a given user account is all but common in gaming business. For that reason (and few other reasons) I don't regret I paid twice as much for Warthog than I could have (in my local store - a DVD).

• Like 1

And while we are on it:

ED should really make double clear what module is working with which kind of DCS:World...

Something like including this in the file-name would cure the problem many newbies have right now between a version change:

P-51D_1.2.0_for_DCS_World_1.2.0.exe

...yes I know... - this looks silly! smile.gif but you have also to think how to prevent silly behaviours..smile.gif

(as long ED has no file-check routine that gives a feedback that you install a module that wasn't meant to be run on your current DCS World version.)

It's pretty difficult to imagine how our solutions' logic looks to a newcomer. We are constantly working on it. I mean each new clarification, note, statement on the same matter is better than the initial.

See yourself: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/faq/Multiplayer/

I see nothing is missed there.

Regarding an account. Hm.. m-m.. I did always think everybody surfing the Internet knows it. If you mean account of what? Eg. in forum announcement word account appeared for the first time together with word website.

I'm confused. In other games there is just an account. I don't mess with it, I just login and that's all. Why the newcomer would have such questions with DCS?

929d768ca6a69127d1f9c61ea94c02e8.gif [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] =653=Tez

I'm confused. In other games there is just an account. I don't mess with it, I just login and that's all. Why the newcomer would have such questions with DCS?

First : Thanks for stopping by - (also at this late European time)!

(I think)

People get confused because they thinks that their ED account is also their star force account and so on...

And some of them (maybe) used also different accounts for DCS:Warthog and DCS:BS /BS2....

I'm also very confident that it will be cured over the next month....

To be honest: I also don't really know ho to communicate it better - it seams that many that got in this trouble have just over-read something and got frustrated as they didn't had the wished outcome.

and when we take this all into consideration we will realise that many users of DCS just maybe don't know that there is a difference between a Star-force-key and a web-shop-account....

and a MP-login.

I hope you get my point.

And some people just don't read a FAQ when they expect all information at one site that covers their monitor - so they won't need to scroll or even search for it..

:)

Edited by PeterP

I got all the answers I needed. Thanks guys!

Tez,

For one there are separate forum and digitalcombatsimulator.com accounts. If MP accounts are separate too you can add them to the bunch as well. If not, 2 accounts is enough to cause confusion.

Then there's the old issue of vital information disconnected from the *.com website where simple links to relevant forum posts would do the trick. I don't know if it's still the case but it used to be that one would have to seek installation instructions and changelogs on the forums without any reference on the *.com website.

One more thing. While I do understand that a pure newcomer will not experience some specific problems I don't think it's fair to leave those who just took a break in the wild ;)

Edit:

After I tried to follow the http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/myserials.php link it all started to make sense. Also after I saw this tutorial on SimHQ http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3606485.html and this sshot from point 4) particularly I know that MP account and *.com accounts are same. My only advice is - try to make instructions in such a way that they alone make it clear what's what before user starts to fiddle with anything. An outline + illustrated guide always do the trick.

I've just learned that the serial management was introduced recently so I assume you need some time to put some FAQ entries together, naturaly.

Edited by Bucic

You're right. I always thought about websites as of the assemblage point. But the most weight is on forums. Most people start their evening DCS web journey on forums and end there. Solution for us is to follow the community.

Yet most of newbies start from websites.

It's a matter of a balance then. We need more crosslinks between forums and websites.

I do admit, there is often a delay between product release and instructions/documentation how to handle the new product.

• Like 1
929d768ca6a69127d1f9c61ea94c02e8.gif [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] =653=Tez

Today I introduced a new soul to DCS. You can use it as a base scenario. He obviously went by the road of: e-shop > download > instalation. Did he stumble upon installation instructions anywhere during browsing e-shop or the download section? I don't know but judging from approach from previous products, I doubt it.

thank you very much for your honest answer Tez! smile.gif

I have to admit what bucic describes .

I'm helping out on a regular basis (like many others ) that has fallen trough this 'net'...

But how many are still out there that never made it to the forum?!

And some people just don't read a FAQ when they expect all information at one site that covers their monitor - so they won't need to scroll or even search for it..

smile.gif

One example: Please show me all hot-fixes for 1.2.0 in a single link from 'official' side....

-whatever-

:)

Edited by PeterP

IMO ED should go for linking to specific forum topics or at least sections directly from *.com download page.

Then there's the preference of Wiki over forum for systematic, organized information. How do you encourage people to contribute more to wiki instead of forums? I have no idea. :)

ED is doing well (Warthog beats Shark's popularity i.e. sales hands down!) but it could do better. Particularly it could make it easier for its zealot-fans to recruit more fans by providing better entry level resource. When my colegue asked me to prepare installation instructions for him I had to decline his request with a resounding "Hell no! You're on your own!" ;)