DCS Development Diary

Milene

Hi,

I find all the information spreaded over all these forum sections and topics kinda confusing. I cant keep up with al the posts most of the time and thats why i would like to ask if ED can make a Development Diary.

That way you can keep us updated with the things that are going on now at the studio etc. Maybe like a weekly update in things you guys are doing on a set day so we can check whats going on.

Thank you :thumbup:

Flanker, Flanker 2.0, Flanker 2.5, Lockon, FC1, FC2,FC3, BS1, BS2, A10C, CA and World

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WW2OL has solved this pretty neatly... Each topic that has staff reply on it will get a specific icon in the topic title row so that you can quickly identify staff participated topics. Also, there's a read only "forum" called DEV TRACKER listing all staff replies/topics in date/time order. It allows you to quickly glance what's new since the last time you checked (it's a predefined query that looks like a forum). IMHO, it's better than diaries which will never really be up to date.

Yes but thats not a diary... i want to know what happens in the ED kitchen on a weekly or even better daily basis. Daily will probably never happen but weekly a small update whats going on should be possible in my opinion.

Flanker, Flanker 2.0, Flanker 2.5, Lockon, FC1, FC2,FC3, BS1, BS2, A10C, CA and World

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What do you want, for them to keep telling you every week they are still coding etc, really unless there is some major update they can show, no point in bothering them with this stuff, when hey have something WORTWHILE to show they do so... in the NEWS section.

Week 1: we are coding x

week 2: we are tillcoding x and y

week 3: we are coding y

week 4: we have texture update etc

booooooooooooring!

No longer active in DCS...

You have no way how to present development work in a meaningful way, unless it's a model/texture/any other graphical feature.

How long would a report 'working on radar implementation continues' keep you interested? Month, two? Certainly not the amount of time it takes to implement the feature. And the only thing the developer can present is this boring statement, maybe with some debug console output, that would be meaningless to you.

Most of the stuff developers do just cannot be shown, it's just doesn't produce a graphical output. It's sometimes even difficult to present your work, as developer, to the management.

ps. And not that much gets done in a week ;) It would basicaly be the same statement over-again.

Lol, as much as I'd like to see it happen, I doubt ED will do anything like this.

ED doesn't even update their own Dev Journal.

This community also has a reputation for misinterpreting info and announcements, so ED has become a little gun shy about any info they release so their words don't end up twisted to mean something that was never intended.

EDIT: ...but if ED does want to start updating the Dev journal regularly, or implement some form of info stream to customers, CCP's dev blog is a good one to take some pointers from. Updated regularly by employees with a multitude of job functions like software development, customer service, network engineering and so on. It gives the customer a really good insight to what is going on within the company while not revealing anything the company is keeping under wraps.

Edited by zipdigital

"Sol" - 9th Shrek Air Strike Squadron

ED does things beyond what you guys know about. Not only do you not know about some DCS things that are happening (which will be announced when they are ready to announce them), you don't and won't know about non-DCS things that are happening.

ED isn't interested in telling, from what I gather.

In other words, they're pretty busy, and Wags already gives the community plenty of info as far as DCS products are concerned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

ED isn't interested in telling, from what I gather.

In other words, they're pretty busy, and Wags already gives the community plenty of info as far as DCS products are concerned.

Personally, I would hope that nobody has the free time to do such a thing! ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: