How to look behind?

harv

Well into this Sim nowadays.

Don't have the luxury of a TrackIR.

Could anyone please tell me if there's a hotkey / mappable button / way which you can press to INSTANTLY look behind you for when you come off a bomb run?

I'm fed up of panning all the way round...

PS: I have a X52 Saitek pro.

Any help appreciated!

There is an external rearward view set up as an F-key. F4, F5???? something like that. Don't think that's what you're looking for, though.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

There is an external rearward view set up as an F-key. F4, F5???? something like that. Don't think that's what you're looking for, though.

Rich

Thanks - but I'm looking for a snap internal view as though I was in the cockpit glancing behind me...

I dont think there is a snapview to look behind. You have to rotate all the way, but thats just my thoughts. May be completly wrong :)

You could on f15 Strike Eagle II !

You should be able to on this Sim imo!

Well, as i said i dont know for a fact that there isnt. just that i never found it:p if you really want to fix it, buy TIR!! Just got mine now after a year in this sim. And to be honest, if i knew the huge difference it makes in overall flying i would baught that first! :)

Some people cannot afford TrackIR; some people are medically incapable of using it; and some people have monitor & desk setups which are not compatible with TrackIR. And, even if all conditions are met, some people simply do not like it. I myself am unable to use TrackIR for a number of those reasons now, although I did use it extensively for two years. It was an improvement over keyboard, but not nearly the Jesus Christ of flight simming that people make it out to be. While I'd much rather use TrackIR than keyboard, if I were still able to, I've always resented TrackIR for being wholly unlike turning my head in the real world.

People who are particularly bad at mathematics can have an especially difficult time doing the degree conversions on the fly while doing an already very brain-intensive activity (namely, dogfighting). Some people say it becomes second nature, but, whether they realize it or not, there's always going to be a part of your brain being occupied by these TrackIR conversions, which would not otherwise be occupied. Of course, the same is true of keyboard, which is why TrackIR (if you can get it to work for you, and once you have become accustomed to it, which can take weeks) is an improvement over keyboard, but TrackIR has many of the same problems as keyboard, alleviating only some of them.

The only real benefit that TrackIR has over keyboard is that TrackIR frees up fingers (or a hand, in my case--since I cannot use a joystick thumb switch for medical reasons, I must use my left hand for both camera operation and for working the joystick's throttle slider, a foot away from the keyboard camera controls). Aside from that, you can do pretty much anything with keyboard that you can with TrackIR, if the sim allows you to customize your camera enough.

Edited by Echo38

This is not really helpfull or on topic, I know.

But try FacetrackNoIR. It's free if you already own a webcam. If not you can look around for $10. Same for Freetrack, but it requires some modification to the webcam.

If you want info search the forums and don't hestiate to ask.

'Frett'

Some people cannot afford TrackIR; some people are medically incapable of using it; and some people have monitor & desk setups which are not compatible with TrackIR. And, even if all conditions are met, some people simply do not like it. I myself am unable to use TrackIR for a number of those reasons now, although I did use it extensively for two years. It was an improvement over keyboard, but not nearly the Jesus Christ of flight simming that people make it out to be. While I'd much rather use TrackIR than keyboard, if I were still able to, I've always resented TrackIR for being wholly unlike turning my head in the real world.

People who are particularly bad at mathematics can have an especially difficult time doing the degree conversions on the fly while doing an already very brain-intensive activity (namely, dogfighting). Some people say it becomes second nature, but, whether they realize it or not, there's always going to be a part of your brain being occupied by these TrackIR conversions, which would not otherwise be occupied. Of course, the same is true of keyboard, which is why TrackIR (if you can get it to work for you, and once you have become accustomed to it, which can take weeks) is an improvement over keyboard, but TrackIR has many of the same problems as keyboard, alleviating only some of them.

The only real benefit that TrackIR has over keyboard is that TrackIR frees up fingers (or a hand, in my case--since I cannot use a joystick thumb switch for medical reasons, I must use my left hand for both camera operation and for working the joystick's throttle slider, a foot away from the keyboard camera controls). Aside from that, you can do pretty much anything with keyboard that you can with TrackIR, if the sim allows you to customize your camera enough.

Are you sure you're talking about TrackIR made by Naturalpoint?

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

You can make an snapview and save the view to one of the NUM keys. Search the forum and you will find plenty of old threads doing this in FC2. The same should work in DCS World.

(HJ)

To modify a snap view.

1. Toggle snap views: RCTL KP0

2. Choose the snap view you want to change and press that key: e.g. KP5

3. Untoggle snap views: RCTL KP0

4. Move your view to desired position

5. Save cockpit angles: RALT KP0

6. Press the key of the snap view you chose before: KP5

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Are you sure you're talking about TrackIR made by Naturalpoint?

Yep. Specifically, TrackIR without the Vector Expansion. I hear they've improved significantly since then, and of course the 3 extra axes would be a significant improvement itself. However, as it was, I could never get TrackIR3 configured correctly, and although I had great success in virtual dogfights while using it, I also had great success in virtual dogfights without it.

If I were medically able to use it again, I would, simply because I'm sick of not having my throttle hand on the throttle slider when I need it there. However, if it weren't for that, I'd rather use keyboard than TrackIR. No matter what curves and other settings I used, I always had the problem of the TrackIR sensitivity being simultaneously too sensitive and not sensitive enough--the sensitivity was high enough that my heartbeat was making it jiggle (mind you, I had two years of practice keeping my head still), and yet it was still not sensitive enough to prevent the problem of having to strain to see the monitor out of the corner of my eye when checking my virtual six.

Some suggested dead zones, but that only solved the former problem while making the latter problem worse. I spent hours doing nothing but fiddling with settings, to no avail. But it's almost a moot point now, because my physical condition is such that I cannot use it even if it were working properly. The only reason I bring this up is as a sort of warning to people who, like me, might be sorry for a long time that they bought the device. (After a month or two, I started to begrudgingly feel that it was worth it, but for the first month I hated the people who recommended it to me.)

Fair enough, Echo38. It's clear that TrackIR isn't for everyone. Personally, I took to it like a duck to water. I had a stiff neck sometimes when using it first, but I got used to it. Never even adjusted the sensitivity settings, but everybody is different, eh?

People who are particularly bad at mathematics can have an especially difficult time doing the degree conversions on the fly while doing an already very brain-intensive activity (namely, dogfighting). Some people say it becomes second nature, but, whether they realize it or not, there's always going to be a part of your brain being occupied by these TrackIR conversions, which would not otherwise be occupied.

I recognise that everyone's built differently, and that TIR might not suit everybody, but that is one of the strangest things I think I've ever read.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I don't know about anyone else but I don't perform a single degree calculation or math equation in my head while playing. That sounded kind of ridiculous to me. I just turn my head slightly in any direction and the view is where I want it, pretty simple. If you are into flight sims, $120 is a worthwhile investment for an incredibly useful piece of equipment. I am not an employee of NaturalPoint BTW. Just mt two cents.

No, Peter, it isn't a conscious conversion. But, although you do not realize it (because it isn't conscious), your brain is actually doing something like, "Let's see, if I turn my real head 1 degree, than my virtual head will turn 10 degrees". This wouldn't be a problem by itself, once you had some practice, but since your brain is already doing dozens of subconscious mathematics during dogfights, this detracts from one's ability to dogfight (again, whether you realize it or not--most people won't realize it, because they're so far away from having more-or-less-mastered dogfighting that they can't notice the difference).

Both with TrackIR and with keyboard camera, I spent more effort controlling my virtual head than I spent controlling my virtual airplane. Ratio of about 60:40, in my estimation. In a real airplane, it's more like 1:50--the only effort at all is encountered when something like a seat harness gets in the way of turning your head to follow the other guy. The only system which gives such a ratio in a P.C. flight sim is padlock, but I don't use that anymore because it also offers advantages that one wouldn't have in a real airplane.

Edited by Echo38