No RWin

Praetorx

I got a new keyboard (Razer's Black Widow stealth ultimate edition) and it has no RWin key... does anyone else have that keyboard or a keyboard with no RWin know if the game recognizes a different key on the keyboard as RWin?

The game is defaulted to RWin and there is not a substitute key on the Black Widow Ultimate (I wasn't aware of a Stealth Ultimate and I like the noise :P) that I am aware of. I have a Black Widow Ultimate myself.

The best option is to just reprogram the control in the sim to use a different key(s). I am assuming you are refering to the Auto Start and Shutdown functions.

Another option is to create a macro for the Black Widow by hooking up a keyboard with a RWIN key and using it to program the macro. I have the function mapped to a G13 (yes I am lazy sometimes) so the lack of the RWin key has not been an issue for me.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The game is defaulted to RWin and there is not a substitute key on the Black Widow Ultimate (I wasn't aware of a Stealth Ultimate and I like the noise :P) that I am aware of. I have a Black Widow Ultimate myself.

The best option is to just reprogram the control in the sim to use a different key(s). I am assuming you are refering to the Auto Start and Shutdown functions.

Another option is to create a macro for the Black Widow by hooking up a keyboard with a RWIN key and using it to program the macro. I have the function mapped to a G13 (yes I am lazy sometimes) so the lack of the RWin key has not been an issue for me.

I like the noise too but my housemates would hate it :(

Are there other things that use the RWin key? (important and often used things)

I like the noise too but my housemates would hate it :(

Are there other things that use the RWin key? (important and often used things)

Not that I can think of but it has been quite I while since I worked with the keyboard commands (RCtl and RShft are used more often I am sure). All of the important stuff is mapped to my stick and most other things are clickable.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

suppose I could just start learning the startup/shutdown procedure :/

That is an option. :)

I honestly can't think of another situation where the lack of that key has been an issue but I rarely use it for anything but gaming.

RWIN is used as a modifier only, but for many things.

One thing would be to either use Razer software to make a macro key be RWin, or you can program some other key to be modifier to replace RWin. (Options > Controls > Modifiers)

In here, delete the current "RWin" modifier. Then create a new modifier, where you select the "Apps" key, but instead of letting the modifier be called "Apps", you name it "RWin".

You now have an RWin key. ;)

(EDIT: Well, as far as the GAME is concerned, Windows still doesn't know about this. Obviously, you may want to make sure that the Apps key is not used by something else in your profile.)

NOTE: It might be important that you create the new modifier immediately without changing anything else, in case this depends on getting "In there" before the game overwrites something else. I would recommend making backup of the savedgames folder first. I don't know for sure whether switching tabs etcetera between remaking the Modifier breaks things. It doesn't look like it does (ran some quick tests just now) but just in case.

Edited by EtherealN
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

In here, delete the current "RWin" modifier. Then create a new modifier, where you select the "Apps" key, but instead of letting the modifier be called "Apps", you name it "RWin".

You now have an RWin key. ;)

(EDIT: Well, as far as the GAME is concerned, Windows still doesn't know about this. Obviously, you may want to make sure that the Apps key is not used by something else in your profile.)

Nice trick. It never occured to do that. :thumbup:

Was one of the first things that worried me when I bought this keyboard. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Was one of the first things that worried me when I bought this keyboard. :D

I will admit to not noticing until after I got it. :huh:

Also note - almost anything can be used as a modifier. For example, on TM HOTAS Warthog, make paddle a modifier and you can suddenly have twice as much fun stuff on the stick without needing to use the keyboard. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That's just what it looks like. There's logic to it, so you just have to practice it a couple times and then you'll remember it just fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Generally speaking, there are as many ways of doing it as there are pilots. :P

The training mission will get you the a good one. Basically, don't think about it as "first switch 1, then switch 2, then switch 3", but rather "first batteries on, because I need electricity" etcetera. Make sure you understand what each of the steps actually do, so that they're more than just a switch someplace in the cockpit.

That said, if you prefer the RWin-Home, check my first response in the thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

There is a checklist in the manual as well as several floating around the forum and in the wiki. The most helpful thing is to get familiar with what the various panels and switches do. That will help the sequences make sense and subsequently, easier to remember.

set one of the macro keys to be the right windows key.

you can use the "On-Screen Keyboard" application (it should be installed by default) to press the right-windows keys when using the Razer programming software.

Edited by Modulus