Advice on updating Motherboard and Hard Disk

Hi, I'm planning on updating my pc with a new motherboard the ASUS M5A97 and a OCZ Vertex 3 120gb ssd, but I have some doubts:

Link to motherboard specifications

Motherboard:

1- Can this motherboard unlock cores of a Socket AM3 Phenom II 550 x2 BE processor?

2- Will it be compatible with the new revisions of the FX processors that will be released in the next months? (Update the processor is in the list too) :smilewink:

3- Do you guys recomend this motherboard?

SSD

1- The OCZ Vertex 3 have a good performance for gamming, or should I look for another one?

2- 120GB are enought for gamming in terms of storage space? (Windows 7, DCS A-10C, DCS P-51, DCS CA, Battlefield 3, Rise of Flight - For music, movies and more I have another Hard disk drive)

All of this will be complemented with 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz and 2 HD 5770 in crossfire

Thanks in advance

Quick guide to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor

Quick Countermeasure Editor v1.3.0

Core i5 3570K 4.0Ghz | GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD | Crucial M4 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ | ASUS GTX 670 | AOC LED 23" | AOC LCD 24" | HYBRID DUAL THROTTLE (SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANT + SUNCOM DUAL THROTTLE) | CH FIGHTERSTICK | SAITEK PRO PEDALS |

I didn't see anything about core unlocking in the specs. Usually its an advertised feature. Google reviews for the motherboard and they should tell you. In theory a core unlocking motherboard can unlock the other two cores but there is also a gamble as to whether they are just disabled or didnt pass quality control. A quick g google search showed pile driver will be compatible with am3+. Have you thought about going the intel way? I went from a 1090t to a 2500k for around 500 and won't be going back to amd in the near future. As for the ssd that might be a little tight on space. What I did with mine was put heavy load time games on my ssd then made a 250gb partition on my mechanical drive since the first partition will be the fastest part and put games like bf3 on there. With ssd prices on the fall it might be better to wait as the only thing it helps is load time

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Hi there, yes I consider to switch to Intel, but it will require to buy a new processor and the idea now it's to spend only the necessary cash, I know Intel runs better, but it cost more than AMD.

About google the motherboard, apparently it can unlock cores, but the chipset only support 4800mt and the fx processors are 5200mt so it won't be using the full potential of the new processors. Will have to save more money to buy a more capable motherboard.

About the SSD I buyed the Crucial M4 it should arrive on Friday, very good reviews for a gaming pc, and your idea of combining it with the other hard drive sound good.

Let's see the prices in a couple of months and if they are good I will switch to Intel.

Thanks for your advice you are very kind :thumbup:

Core i5 3570K 4.0Ghz | GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD | Crucial M4 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ | ASUS GTX 670 | AOC LED 23" | AOC LCD 24" | HYBRID DUAL THROTTLE (SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANT + SUNCOM DUAL THROTTLE) | CH FIGHTERSTICK | SAITEK PRO PEDALS |

when you get your ssd make sure you google ssd optimization. It will give instructions on how to best set up your ssd. Tips like moving your temp files and internet cache to the mechanical drive and that sort of thing.

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

About the SSD I buyed the Crucial M4 it should arrive on Friday, very good reviews for a gaming pc, and your idea of combining it with the other hard drive sound good.

You should be quite happy with the M4. I have three of them in my game machine.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi guys

pacotito: That sounds good to save space in the SSD, never heard of that but definitevely will google it :smilewink:

cichlidfan: glad to hear that, because I select it for the reliabiliaty more than speed, the bad thing is that it's delayed and it will arrive on monday on tuesday. :cry:

Thanks you very much guys, your advice were very helpfull :thumbup: