homing and ranging

wolle

I find knowing where in the world you are one of the more challenging things in DCS-P51D. I found sections in the manual describing homing and ranging radios. These sections are very brief and end in a statement saying they are not implemented in this simulation.

Why not? I guess those radios is what the guys used back in the day to find their way around, right? Would be mighty useful in this sim, too. Does anybody know why they are not implemented, and if there are any plans to implement them?

Same question applies to the IFF radio...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I'm pretty sure pilots in WW2 used dead reckoning as the main means of navigation. The range of homing radios wouldn't have been very far, certainly not far enough to navigate from Germany to England.

It would also have required them to be placed all over mainland Europe to make them effective, much like VOR today.

No aircraft IFF systems are modeled in the simulation.

systems are highly classified since WW2. highly unlikely ED will ever put two together. In the mean time, I wish we had an in-cockpit computer to do it more realistically, instead of using the unrealistic show current position on kneeboard command. Navigation is one of the most challenging things in this plane.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Couple of things from someone who mainly flies WW2/WW1 flight sims. Don't go in a straight line, follow landmarks (such as the coast, a line of houses, a forest border etc) and leapfrog along them. Make sure you know what you'll encounter as you go along, look at key shapes and features before you get flying.

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly: