TGP Questions

Hoggorm

Hi,

1 - Sometimes I get a "GIMBAL ROLL" message on the TGP. I assume this has something to do with me turning, either to fast, or somewhere the TGP is unable to look, so that the TGP gyros are unable to keep the camera stable.

What I'm wondering is if you have a further explanation of this message. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a message note to the pilot that will happen from time to time? What if the best way to clear it?

2 - Quite often I get the INR-A or INR-P messages instead of AREA or POINT. According to the manual this happens when the TGP does not have a clear field of sight, and that makes sense. However I seem to see this message even though the TGP appears to have a clear view to the target.

Are there any additional rules that will trigger these messages?

1) The TGP rotates about its roll axis in order to maintain the proper spatial orientation of the TGP video. In other words, if you fly directly at a tracked point, the TGP will not only pitch to keep the point in view, but as you pass overhead, it will roll in order to keep "up", up. It can only rotate about its roll axis so many times before it can't roll anymore, and the GIMBAL ROLL WCN is letting you know that the TGP has reached that point.

To fix it, go to point track (TMS/U S), set the SPI to the TGP LOS (TMS/U L), recage the TGP to boresight (CH/A S), then slave all to SPI (CH/F L).

or...

Keep the TGP on target and perform several aileron rolls in the direction opposite the caret. So if it says "GIMBAL ROLL >", roll left, and vice versa.

2) The TGP employs mask zones that prevent the laser from illuminating any portion of the aircraft. The more/larger weapons are carried, and the closer those weapons are to the TGP, the more restrictive the masks become.

In DCS, we only have one mask zone, and it's the most restrictive one. So the TGP will stop firing the laser even though there is nothing blocking its path. As far as INR goes, the mask zone includes a small buffer around the airframe that prevents using scene tracking (AREA/POINT) when the airframe could be visible if you zoomed all the way out in WIDE FOV. So when you're zoomed all the way in in NARROW FOV, it seems incorrect, but its actually by design.

• Like 3

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

1)In other words, if you fly directly at a tracked point, the TGP will not only pitch to keep the point in view, but as you pass overhead, it will roll in order to keep "up", up.

Erm, I may be erring but i think that that is physically impossible with just two degrees of freedom, no? I always figured that the image rotation to keep the picture at its initial "heading" was done digitally and the gimbals were there to align the view axis with the correct point in space, not to rotate the picture...

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Roll, not yaw. It uses a combination of pitch and roll to maintain LOS on whatever it's looking at. You're right though, I gave a bad example, and there must be some digital processing to explain the observed behavior. Nonetheless, as the aircraft is maneuvered with the TGP tracking a target, it's possible to hit the roll gimbal as stated.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

Roll, not yaw. It uses a combination of pitch and roll to maintain LOS on whatever it's looking at. You're right though, I gave a bad example, and there must be some digital processing to explain the observed behavior. Nonetheless, as the aircraft is maneuvered with the TGP tracking a target, it's possible to hit the roll gimbal as stated.

Not unless the camera inside the TGP has an inner roll system. That would allow 3 dimensional movement.

The outercasing allows Pitch and Roll, while the camera inside has an additional roll mechanism which would allow the TGP to keep the image in the correct orientation.

Just a guess.

Nonetheless, as the aircraft is maneuvered with the TGP tracking a target, it's possible to hit the roll gimbal as stated.

Yes, no question.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!