Remove Start of Mission Zoom Effect + Track IR

docfu

It does give a sensation of "climbing into the cockpit" though.

Ugh, no. The real human eye does not, ever, under any circumstances, zoom in like this. It is physically incapable. Nor does it need to, as we have our max FoV and our max zoom at the same time, at all times, instead of having to clumsily switch between the two, the way we need to with a P.C. monitor.

Ok, so lots of debate about aspect ratios but surely the question is whether you need 3 seconds of gradual zooming for it to adjust the field of view to the aspect ratio?

Surely it should be instant or near instant [..]

[nod] This is the primary issue--lots of tangents and side-tracking away from it, but this is the gripe that I--and, it looks like, most other people--have with this feature. And no one who has been defending it has given a decent reason (or any reason, really) why the 3-second time is necessary. (Or even a one-second time.) By all logic, the same task could be accomplished in 0.1 seconds--any reason why it isn't? I'm looking at you, Viper, since you seem to be the spokesman for its defense.

Edited by Echo38

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poll maybe

I run 1920x1080 16:9

I have zoom on a slider and always adjust to where I want it anyway...this entry zoom thing doesn't bother me in the least

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

This problem is annoying for me as well but the zoom occurs for just a few seconds so I can tolerate it. The annoyance comes from the fact that I want to start clicking away at the cockpit right away but it's difficult to click a "moving target"!

I'm looking at you, Viper, since you seem to be the spokesman for its defense.

I'll say it again as it seems that it got lost in translation somehow:

I am not defending the feature.

I am the spokesperson who must put his name to a report requesting a feature-change to be forwarded to a relevant Dev. As such you can rest assured that I will not be insulting my intelligence and his by relying on a bucketload of whinge to throw his way, expecting him to drown under the pressure in an attempt to facilitate change.

I'll wade through the thread later and attempt to extract the scarce yet present diamonds of usefulness. In the meantime, if anyone else has anything useful/extra to add, please feel free, keeping in mind the prerequisite of constructiveness if you please.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

A lot of folks, including myself, find this feature irritating. I would think that this would be reason enough to request a change? It is said that a keystroke or two input will stop the effect, and yet, I find that I cannot stop this effect from happening many or most of the times, despite me scrolling the hell out of my zoom axis rotary. I usually have to sit there and wait the whole duration. (Is it really just three seconds?! Seems more like 5 to 6 to me. Maybe because phenomenon that are annoying subjectively take longer to end?)

It's not like this is high priority or even normal priority. It is a short effect, whatever the length of it is. However, if the time is ever found to address it, then why not make the game as minimally annoying as possible?

In this case, the only real change that is required to please everyone is simply to add an extra option under the Options->Misc. tab:

[ ] "Camera zoom at mission start"

It's a minor overall functionality change, but I wouldn't know if implementing such a change would be worth the development time it would take to add it in.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

In this case, the only real change that is required to please everyone is simply to add an extra option under the Options->Misc. tab:

It'd also be nice if the time were reduced from ~3 secs, down to the minimum possible (virtually instantaneous), for those who wish/need to keep the option on.

It is an intended feature to cater for all. An inconvenience for TrackIr users, yes. Inconvenience does not however outweigh the benefit afforded to others who do not have TrackIr and for which the feature benefits.

You gotta be prepared to take the Good with the Bad. After all, what is a couple of seconds at the end of the day?

How does this "cater to all?" Who even flies that far zoomed out? It's an incredible annoyance to me as well, as if I needed to chip in...

I started a poll here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=93100

However, who knows how accurate it will really be. I'm not fool enough to think that polls on these forums represent an unbiased sample... for example, I suspect folks who don't really care about the effect will be less inclined to take the time to vote.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I want to take a second and apologize to Viper publicly if he thinks my message was a personal attack at him. It wasn't. There's a point, however, where you have to value people's opinions in addition to statistics and logic. If you overly rely on the latter, you make people very angry because you discount their personal experience. Nobody likes being made less of a human.

I really hate the zoom effect. Period. Never get between a man and something he hates.

And to Viper or anyone else I offended. I apologize.

• Like 1

Not to say to you personally but to comment on "make it an option" in general (even though this may be considered OT but this is with regard to "options" which appear quite often throughout the forum and in not intending to be a smartalec about it)... we'll soon need an option for the options.

It (the zoom in) doesn't worry me, I voted

EDIT]

~ An inconvenience for TrackIr users, yes. ~

Its not an inconvenience for me when I use my TrackIR... I usually centre it at the briefing screen, before hitting go (just had to learn to where to place the head to compensate for the zoom in) that's when I use the unit though.

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

No apology warranted :)

Irritation is valid and will be one reason listed in a request for change. Let's hope that we have enough reasons at the end of the day to facilitate change.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

we'll soon need an option for the options.
That's what the "advanced options" tab is for. If someone has the patience to go through hundreds of control bindings, then he has the patience (and surely the desire) to go though a couple dozen options as well. Those with less patience just select the "easy flight mode" option and forget about the advanced options and control bindings.

I've seen quite a few games (esp. of the sim variety) which have an advanced option section--it's usually fairly complicated, but seldom a problem for a serious simmer, who is accustomed to complicated customization due to the control setups for hardcore sim-games being, by necessity, complicated and customizable.

Edited by Echo38

and possibly overwhelming for a newbie, yes?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

and possibly overwhelming for a newbie, yes?

Nowhere near as overwhelming as the control bindings, no. If you can figure out the control bindings, then you can easily figure out the advanced options. And if you can't figure out the control bindings (or advanced options), and CBA to read the manual and/or ask/search on the forum, then serious flight sims aren't for you anyway, and you won't stay long in DCS regardless of whether or not there are advanced options. Unless you stay in easy mode, that is, and don't worry about the advanced options and controls. Quite a few people never bother to progress past easy, and are totally happy with that.

In short, if you don't like having options, you always have the option of not bothering to look through the options menu.

Edited by Echo38

My FOV is tweaked in view.lua. That I have to edit files to get preferred FOV is in my opinion a shortcoming of the developer. I would like to see FOV as a slider setting in Options.

Once set for my system, I see absolutely no reason for it to change, and especially not as a function of an "effect".

Edited by KosPilot

• 3 years later...

I'm afraid I'm unburrying an old thread among many that expose this single irritating problem, which ... is still present today, end of 2015 ;) As many, many people it's been annoying me from the start too.

Has there been an option to disable this initial zoom-out?

And if not, isn't the amount of complaints a good reason enough to at least add a quick option to disable it? Even if only manually in the configuration files? Is there even one single report from a user enjoying this feature?

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

It is an intended feature to cater for all. An inconvenience for TrackIr users, yes. Inconvenience does not however outweigh the benefit afforded to others who do not have TrackIr and for which the feature benefits.

You gotta be prepared to take the Good with the Bad. After all, what is a couple of seconds at the end of the day?

Could you please explain to a non Trackir user what the benefit of this feature is? I dislike it very much and have read nothing but complaints about it from everyone who uses DCS. I have seen whole threads on how distracting and annoying it is.

If there is a benefit to it, I would really like to understand it so that I can reap this benefit.

Thx