"Memory leak" sort of issue

Echo38

Well, I don't know precisely what a memory leak is, and have been accosted before by engineers who had a more technical definition, but my lay understanding is that a program gradually slows down over time from normal operation, and that's exactly what DCS World is doing to my system.

Over an hour or two of flight, I get an increasingly poor frame rate (even in the same location of the map--I've been taking off from, fighting over, and landing at the same airfield). It starts out okay, and ends up bad within a couple of hours or less. Furthermore, after I exit World, other games which normally run smoothly (~60 FPS) run like crap (~10 FPS), requiring me to restart my P.C. to restore normal performance across the board.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by Echo38

I have not noticed this myself. One way to check for this is to look at your task manager under the Performance tab when the game starts to slow down. Check your Physical Memory Usage. Also, check this after closing the game to see if your ram is still being eaten up by something. You can look at the Resource Monitor to see what exactly is taking up that memory.

You might also look at your GPU memory that is being used. I use the tool GPU-Z to monitor my GPU usage and temps. Definitely something worth looking in to.

Hi,

Maybe it has do to do something about temparature?

Does your CPU or GPU becomes very warm and then just down regulates itself to not overheat?

That would also explain why the next game you start may run on less FPS as usuall.

Maybe you can try that again, but before starting another game, give your PC some minutes to cool down.

John

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

if you could post up your specs (hardware/ Operating System/ monitoring software/ RST/ etc), we might be able to gleen what is going on?

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

if you could post up your specs (hardware/ Operating System/ monitoring software/ RST/ etc), we might be able to gleen what is going on?

Along with any temperature info you can provide us.

And It sounds like you have spoken to some Older PC tech. guys (memory leaks are from Win98 days) I would think they have suggested you finagle your System Chache?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

It sounds to me like a temperature issue, but in any case it's extremely easy to find out.

Pressing ctrl+shift+esc in windows lets you monitor your memory usage (performance tab), and downloading a program like HWmonitor will let you monitor your temperatures.

EDIT: AceKng1 said more or less the same thing.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

• 1 month later...

Update: I didn't exactly solve the issue, but it mostly stopped occurring on its own. To clarify, I don't think I've made any changes that would have fixed the problem, but I've only suffered from this problem one time since my last post in this thread. The one time it did happen, I restarted my computer, and all was well.

Potential causes or contributing factors include: dropping cluster bombs, and Alt-Tabbing. This program does not like to Alb-Tab, particularly if you are running in full-screen mode. Um, I can't think of any others, but, if you are suffering from this problem, I recommend avoiding Alt-Tabbing, and if the problem does occur once in a rare while (say, once or twice a week), then simply restart your computer.

Edited by Echo38

Well, as I said in another thread, I'll make a fresh installation of DCS World. Let's see if I'll going to have success now.:music_whistling:

Thanks for the help Echo.:thumbup:

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

Well, so, what is my problem?

My system spec are.

i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz

8GB Vengeance 1600Mhz

500 GB Western Digital Blue only for OS.

500 GB Western Digital Blue dedicated only for games.

MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC.

OCZ Modxstream 700w

Dell S2230MX monitor

Why ONLY DCS World gives problems with FPS drops after 3 or 4 missions?

CPU and VGA too hot? No, sir, 60C and 55 on full load, respectively. (spring here in Brazil).

My last shot is a fresh DCS instalation, if this won´t work, I´ll give up. I will stay with my dear FC2 and IL-2 46.

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount