In need of help......

and I can't think of a better place to get it...grovel grovel ;)

I want to get another computer with all new inards and things but I don't know where to start. I have about 1000 pounds (sterling) to spend.

I had my old computer built from scratch with a AMD64, ATI 9700 pro, 1 gig of ddr400 ram, and a bus speed of 800 whatever that means.

Anyone can help with their advice would be very much appreciated.

Mizzy.

What processor do you have now?

And if you only need one computer you could just move over the RAM of course... but it isn't all that bad so you might have use for it... LOMAC coop maybe :)

Oh, and 1000 pounds will get you a nice PC :D

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Yeah, do you need it as a second computer or could you use some of the parts from your current one?

edit: and if you can use some of the old parts, list what you have now. ie Which AMD64, what brand of RAM, power supply, hard drives, etc.

Will overclocking be an option?

well i think if your not selling your old compter definatly take the RAM out and put it in your new one, will save having to buy more. keep the AMD 64. because its cheaper to build a PC than get one made for you. a ATI X850 is a good card. other wise go with what u want!

rekoal

Yep, motherboard, RAM and case are potential keepers for just upgrading the processor and graphics card, you might want a new sound card too if you are using an old one or a built in, the new Creative X-fi cards are supposed to make the sound much better... new speakers... joystick... TrackIR... If only I had some money :(

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

list exactly all of your specs, then we can see if there is anything worth keeping, but ram and depending on your next cpu if you upgrade cpu's, your motherboard also is worth keeping.

Here is my current computer spec:

MSI KT8 motherboard

Athlon 64 3200 (I think its socket 7** something)

ATI 9700 Pro (still very good) with Advanced graphics place (AGP)

1 gig of ddr400 ram (no name on it just bog standards I think)

120 gig Western digital hard drive.

80 gig Maxtor hard drive

160 gig Maxtor external hard drive.

Siatak x45 joystick (don't know how to use all the buttons but I am working on it)

450 watt power supply.

M-Audio 2496 sound card.

Please note: I do not play online so no need for a fast connection.

What do you think and thank you for your help?

Mizzy

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

i think you got decent enough pc as it is, no real need to upgrade, maybe apart from the graphics card.

would the motherboard be socket 754 ?

unless you want crazy power, I would just upgrade to a 6800gt/ultra or x800xt pe/850 AGP. and keep everything else in your pc. cuz if you want more power, you will probably want to go with socket 939 motherboard = new mobo and new cpu to fit = gonna cost ya.

for £1000 you could get a 939 pin motherboard. a cpu from amd 4000+ all the way to £400-500 fx55, fx57 would be too expensive and not worth it at this point in time.

keep your ram, and maybe buy another 1 gig of pc3200 ddr

and buy a 7800gt. and that would roughly be your £1000 finished.

recap.

socket 939 motherboard with a fx53-fx55 cpu. and 7800gt video card, and maybe a new power supply. All of this would fit into the case you have now, I presume, if not a new case is pretty cheap.

but to be honest, you have a decent pc as it is, IMHO i wouldnt upgrade that pc, i would upgrade the video card only, if i had a £1000 to upgrade a pc, I would build a new one.

I think what's bugging me is all the new graphics cards are PCi Express (bobbing bast*8ds) Why they can't just stick with AGP and improve that so we all don't have to keep getting new motherboards every year :mad:

Yes its a 754 socket as well. I have read the manual and its this socket so I am stuffed there too :mad: :mad:

Mizzy