OT: Ex-Engineer Charged With Selling (B-2) Secrets

Guest DeathAngelBR

Guest DeathAngelBR

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051027/ap_on_re_us/military_secrets

HONOLULU - An engineer who calls himself the father of the technology that protects the B-2 stealth bomber from heat-seeking missiles has been arrested and accused of selling U.S. military secrets involving the aircraft to a foreign country, the

FBI said. Noshir S. Gowadia, 61, of Haiku was arrested Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

click here

According to the FBI, Gowadia in 2002 faxed a document detailing infrared technology classified top secret by the Air Force to a foreign official. He also provided classified information to two other countries, the FBI said.

The government would not identify the countries or disclose how much he allegedly received.

Gowadia was an engineer with Northrop Grumman Corp. from 1968 to 1986 and had helped design parts of the B-2's propulsion system that make the bomber difficult to be seen by enemy missiles. The technology remains highly classified.

He was jailed without bail on a charge of willfully communicating national defense information to a person not entitled to receive it, an offense punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

It was not immediately known whether he had a lawyer.

According to state records, Gowadia and his wife own an engineering and consulting company.

As a result this man is also the reason or the father of the R27ET :biggrin:

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

This guy got what he deserved. On the other hand, these kinds of events show the somewhat limited lifecycle of a "stealth advantage".

In the end of the day, the multi-billion dollar B-2 is a slow, unmanoevrable bomber. I guess it could keep its relative stealth advantage over air defenses for max. 20 years. It certainly won't have the long carreer the B-52 has.

If you then take into account the extremely long development time, I'm not so sure it was a wise investment. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a terrible waste of money. For this price, you could equip a lot of soldiers with state-of-the art body armor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This guy got what he deserved. On the other hand, these kinds of events show the somewhat limited lifecycle of a "stealth advantage".

In the end of the day, the multi-billion dollar B-2 is a slow, unmanoevrable bomber. I guess it could keep its relative stealth advantage over air defenses for max. 20 years. It certainly won't have the long carreer the B-52 has.

If you then take into account the extremely long development time, I'm not so sure it was a wise investment. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a terrible waste of money. For this price, you could equip a lot of soldiers with state-of-the art body armor.

...which would make the F/A-22 even more expensive because stealth tech as a result would not be as mature.

And there are other ways to protect a B-2. Stand-off cruise missiles could be launched from a Spirit instead of a B-52; active stealth like the rumoured "plasma stealth" could be incorporated easily (the list goes on).

IMO, there are far worse investments in the military (A-12 Avenger anyone?)

sigzk5.jpg

He's done the world a favour.

I don't believe he did it out of a sense of altruism, but I'd rather that all the major players had about the same level of technology.

Better 2 or 3 super powers in tension but with a reason not to act agressively than 1 that feels it can do as it wishes...

I can't remember his name, but the guy who worked on the development of the atomic bomb then made the technology public to the rest of the world after the war had the right idea.

Cheers.

I don't believe he did it out of a sense of altruism, but I'd rather that all the major players had about the same level of technology.

Better 2 or 3 super powers in tension but with a reason not to act agressively than 1 that feels it can do as it wishes...

I can't remember his name, but the guy who worked on the development of the atomic bomb then made the technology public to the rest of the world after the war had the right idea.

I totally agree, the world needs a balance of power, since peace is an utopian dream, as it goes against the nature of mankind.

Back on topic:

The B2 will be "stealthy" for a long period (10 years at the least), but as radar and missile technology advances, it will loose its edge. And then there's the issue of other secrets concerning the B2 being passed on to the Chinese that the CIA/FBI/NSA don't know about.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Back on topic - Ha! what a cheek ! the topic was the guy getting caught for spying! :-)

Anyway - you reckon only 10 years?

Do you mean till stuff that will counter it is in general service or just developed? I think the technology to counter it will arrive quicker than that, but take a while to roll out.

Against 2nd order nations it'll be useful for a good few years, & that's who'll on the receiving end in most of the conflicts it'll see service in anyway.

Cheers.

Pretty speaches but I would like to see if your confortable with the fact the balance of power the US might be having with tiranical unstable regimes.

What would have hapened if US had established "balance of power" through the suply of nuclear technology to the NaZi regime...

Let me remind you that the balance of power during the cold war almost claimed life on this planet as a price to pay...several times.

I hate some of the things donne by big countries but lets not overdo in this "balance of power" philosofy.

As for the B-2's role and its limitation, I would say it wont have a long carrer as the B-52's but the B-52 also wasnt asigned to the same job as the B-2 spirit in a hostile enviroment.

Everybody thinks that even if the F-22's steath is beaten that the raptor becomes nothing more than average wich is a mere illusion, since thats only 1 of its advanced capabilities.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I know it's not realy the place, but you asked:

Probably much the same as happened during the cold war.

Fascism is a particularly abhorent politcal movement, but the second world war was started over economics not ethics.

Had it been economically viable to do so (ie Germany not been so expansionist), the rest of Europe & the States would probably have found ways to accomodate it - anti-Semetism & all.

Was it British PM Neville Chamberlain who signed a treaty with Hitler to ensure "peace in our times" ? The US had plenty of investment in pre-war Nazi Germany too.

The west managed to co-exist quite successfuly with Stalin's regime & Stalin managed to kill a considerably higher number of his own people than Hitler did Jews, Gypsies, "socialy undesirables" etc (with the exception of Russians who paid a very heavy toll).

Nuclear standoff is a dangerous game to play, but we got through it without one regime extending it's influence across the whole globe.

Would it have been better if there were one country with an unassailable advantage? Who knows - but it seems to me that benevolent dictators still end up dictatorships.

More recently - Would I want a party that will bend the law to change electoral boundaries to ensure its own re-election in a position where they had an absolute monopoly on international force - I don't think so.

For as long as you have two powers you have some curb on both regimes excesses - both through the threat of external intervention & by providing a pole for dissent internaly - and you have somewhere to defect to.

When you have one global power that can run a credit check, intercept your phonecalls and use all the technology now available, & you're not happy with that, where will you go then?

& yes there is much more to the F-22 than stealth.

Cheers.

Good points but what I said was not quite to eleminate balance of power but rather to be carefull who your willing to support and what the price to pay.

More recently - Would I want a party that will bend the law to change electoral boundaries to ensure its own re-election in a position where they had an absolute monopoly on international force - I don't think so.

For as long as you have two powers you have some curb on both regimes excesses - both through the threat of external intervention & by providing a pole for dissent internaly - and you have somewhere to defect to.

I know what you mean, but while thats a 4 year nuissance think where you will be if you send sensitive info to north Korea or such. Youll have 1 more long term problem. And once this "4 year nuinssnce"is over you get a much more lasting and potentialy dangerous problem.

There are a number of RL examples I could mention about this kind of thinking even in the US administration in the last 30 years, but Im not going to elaborate.

When you have one global power that can run a credit check, intercept your phonecalls and use all the technology now available, & you're not happy with that, where will you go then?

I guess if the nation that gets info in the hopes to "establish a global balance" sends Taibei, or Seoul or Tokio down the drane, then I bet you will feel much more disturbed by the damage not to mention your buying potential. :biggrin:

My PC specs below:

What kind of thinking is that?

sigzk5.jpg

How many times were atomic bombs used while only 1 country had them? twice.

How many times have they been used since the super powers all had them? None.

none...but it was on the verge of all of them at once... ;)

Just because nothing hapened doesnt mean you can use it as an example of what to do with everything else. Thats a recepy for disaster.

My PC specs below:

What secrets do you refer to? The fact that stealth works by deflecting/absorbing radio waves, or the algorithms and materials and manufacturing methods as well as research pertaining to them?

There are quite a few secrets to toss around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

WTF are you talking about?!Stealth technology?Power? Oh yeah,Power with a capital 'P'....don't make me laugh...In fact i doubt there are many secrets in this techonlogy left for developed countries

You obviously dont know the difference between technology and know how.

Any country can have same level of technology but without know how, its stuck at importing aerospace products instead of making them. This is also true when fund restriction comes to play.

My PC specs below:

Guest IguanaKing
How many times were atomic bombs used while only 1 country had them? twice.

How many times have they been used since the super powers all had them? None.

You also need to consider that these weapons had never been used before and it wasn't fully understood yet how horrible they were. Sure, tests had been done prior to that, but very little was actually known about their effect in a real-world scenario. Aside from that, how many more Japanese do you think would have been killed following an invasion and conventional, house-to-house fighting?

Don't forget that the Germans and Japanese were also developing an atomic weapon during the war.

it wasn't fully understood yet how horrible they were.

Don't forget that the Germans and Japanese were also developing an atomic weapon during the war.

Dont kid yourself. They knew exactly how deadly they were.

And the bombs were dropped at the end of the war. It was over anyways.