Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar

$234 + transportation costs (what is the word?)

Cheap?

When I can afford it I might get one, seems as it's really one of a kind

and that it should last you pretty long :D

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Cougar is still good and better than most joysticks in its stock state! Just order spare pots right away (warranty) and start practicing your soldering, cause they've had a prior history of braking down occasionally and you wouldn't want to wait for spare parts should the unfortunate happen.

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

You may or may not be happy with a stock Cougar.

You probably would be happy with a modified Cougar, but it may also triple the price of the original Cougar.

I'm just saying.

Modified in what way?

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Well, they are solid metal and feel great, heavy, loads of switches etc ... BUT ... some of the internal components are poor quality. My brake switch is dead and I've replaced pots in mine ... but some change just about all the internals - very expensive but apparently smoother and more reliable. Yes, they are expensive ... but I love mine!

$234 + transportation costs (what is the word?)

Cheap?

When I can afford it I might get one, seems as it's really one of a kind

and that it should last you pretty long :D

For transporting a heavy box like that: I would say cheap :icon_wink .

I have only 1 remark for the Cougar: It is an F-16 and not a mig/Su replica!

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

True, but the F-16 is coming. (someday in the distant future)

Can't get here soon enough!!! :D

As far as the price, yes $234 (for a new Cougar) is good. Even with all it's design shotcomings, I would never fly again without one! ..and once you get into modding it, it's unbeatable!

Lawndart

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I'd get X-52. Get it at a store that accepts returns, try it for a week, see if you like it. Joystick is a very subjective thing. A lot of joysticks considered good I just couldn't get used to. X-45 stick for example - my hand was simply getting numb on it. So I ended up using X-45 throttle and Saitek EVO stick. If you pay for it $234 or whatever and you don't like it - good luck getting your money back.

And $234 is a price of decent videocard!

Guest ruggbutt
It comes Monday. All I received so far are the Simpeds. Which of course I can't try without the Cougar..:(

You didn't get the one w/the pressure switches did you?

Guest ruggbutt

Don't tell anyone that I'm actually a genius. I've found that if they think you're a retard, they leave you alone cuz they feel sorry for you. And when you shoot them down, it's more devastating cuz they always say: "Nice shot retard". :D

Hmm... the X52 seems a bit too "spacy" for me... and the Cougar is made of metal :o ;)

It's made of metal alright but... the inside is crap (although also made of metal). If that 234$ is all you have to spend, ask if you may "feel" the Cougar before buying. Because if you're not used to the strange feel when going over the axis (due to the type of springs and the internal setup), you could be in for a nice surprice when you get home (at least, i was).

So if you want a Cougar and have a bit more to spend then 234$, look out for a mod, or make one yourself, and you get the best damn stick & throttle that's available right now... modded, it is just SUPERB !!!

Mod's: http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=35029

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!