Cougar MFD with Lilliput UM-80 8" USB Monitors

I really think you wont go wrong with it TT. It will be perfect I think. I also might have the data somewhere so you wont have to jump through hoops setting it up. I had a monitor I was using at one time that has the same resolution as the AOC.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

I really think you wont go wrong with it TT. It will be perfect I think. I also might have the data somewhere so you wont have to jump through hoops setting it up. I had a monitor I was using at one time that has the same resolution as the AOC.

Thanks USAFMTL, really appreciate both the feedback and the help!

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding use of 8" Lilliput with Win7 64 bit. I have two and they work fine. I I had some problems with the original drivers, but I suspect that was my incompetence. The latest 2 versions of the display link drivers work great, and it fits in with my 3 screen eye-finity, plus an additional 24"

Flyco

• 5 months later...

I purchased the Lilliput monitors from the US and the system is working just fine. Win 7/64 bit.

I didn't need to use the software to get the measurements right as it really is just a case of calculating the pixel offset based on your main monitor size, the pixel resolution of the small monitors and the size you want the MFD displays to run at. All looking good in DCS.

This setup also works well for Prepar3d as you can drag glass screens down onto the USB monitors with no problem. It can be done with FSX as well but I haven't got that working as yet. Apparently you just undock then drag them down just like in Prepar3d but I don't get the right click, undock menu item to make it work.

Great idea that works really well.

Cheers,

Hawk 5

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

Following on from above I have found that you can get the cockpits screens from numerous aircraft and not just A10C and the Ka50.

I haven't created a setup for the Ka50 shkval yet but here are some pics of the others.

DCS-A10C with both MFD's as per OP's original setup.

osl2.jpg

F15C with radar screen active. The warning display isn't drawn it seems.

aezu.jpg

Su-25T with optical system turned on and right MFD removed from the front

to take advantage of the wider screen aspect of the 800x600 usb monitor which is a much better fit. I also had to create a separate monitor.lua file for the Su25T so I could have the different values for the right MFD but that is easily selectable in DCS options menu when you want to fly this aircraft.

0igd.jpg

pdcx.jpg

The Su33 with nav screen active

2e8j.jpg

The Su27 (almost the same as the Su33)

cbgg.jpg

So as you can see the setup is useful for a range of aircraft not just the Ka50 and A10C. I'm still tweaking values to get the aspect ratios better. The Su33 has a slightly wider than square display, the Su25T needs the vertical squeezed a little to get the targeting box square etc.

Along with the fact this works well in other sims like Prepar3d I think it was a good little investment in the hobby.

Edit: With a bit more stuffing around the Ka50 setup works well too although this requires more file editing and setup change in Windows and would be more for those who stick with the Ka50 practically full time or pit builders.

89sy.jpg

20131211_031525.jpg

Edited by Hawk_5

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

• 3 months later...

is anyone using anything other than Lilliput 8" 4:3 Um-80/c Mini Usb Monitor(non-touch Screen) that works cant get amazon to ship to Canada :(

Edited by Pipe

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

• 3 weeks later...

do you have to create mfd setup lua ? cant find it

thx

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

• 4 months later...

thx kayos have it all figured out now and working like a charm

• 7 months later...

Hello,

have anyone tried some cheap Hong Kong alternative to these not necessary touchscreens? I am from Czech Republic and I can't find any small LCD monitor for my MFCD's. I can make it from a bigger monitor, but I can't tell if this would be good solution for my future cockpit that I am starting to work on. But in my opinion two, cheaper, smaller ones would be better than one big for more instruments - I want to sepparate these but I don't want to throw money out of the window for something that I won't use (meaning touch screen).

Thank you for your advice!

Some examples:

http://www.dx.com/p/finesource-7-1280-x-800-digital-tft-lcd-monitor-for-pc-tv-av-usb-flash-drive-more-black-378956#.VR53qfmsUg1

http://www.dx.com/p/l7007hd-7-0-tft-lcd-screen-car-monitor-w-vga-bnc-av-input-stand-black-335907#.VR53q_msUg1

Hello,

have anyone tried some cheap Hong Kong alternative to these not necessary touchscreens? I am from Czech Republic and I can't find any small LCD monitor for my MFCD's. I can make it from a bigger monitor, but I can't tell if this would be good solution for my future cockpit that I am starting to work on. But in my opinion two, cheaper, smaller ones would be better than one big for more instruments - I want to sepparate these but I don't want to throw money out of the window for something that I won't use (meaning touch screen).

Thank you for your advice!

Some examples:

http://www.dx.com/p/finesource-7-1280-x-800-digital-tft-lcd-monitor-for-pc-tv-av-usb-flash-drive-more-black-378956#.VR53qfmsUg1

http://www.dx.com/p/l7007hd-7-0-tft-lcd-screen-car-monitor-w-vga-bnc-av-input-stand-black-335907#.VR53q_msUg1

7" may be a bit to small.

What kind of screen is this. Much cheaper option then the Lilliputs!

He's using Bare LCD Panels and Controllers,

You can use 7" Bare LCDs w/ No problem:

ie:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360699407716?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181356375256?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ok, I'm a dumb@#$ when it comes to stuff like this. I see those computer boards and I start to get nervous. How do these hook up to your PC? It looks like a great option and a better one then the Lilliputs (especially since one of mine died after a year).

Ok, I'm a dumb@#$ when it comes to stuff like this. I see those computer boards and I start to get nervous. How do these hook up to your PC? It looks like a great option and a better one then the Lilliputs (especially since one of mine died after a year).

One Hooks up via VGA Cable, the Other one takes VGA or DVI.

they come with controller boards, menu boards, LCD Array, etc.

No Power Supply provided (that's like an extra $15),

Requires Moderate Level electronics knowledge.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

The Lilliputs were always to much for me but recently these in car lcd displays are getting a lot cheaper. There are a lot with the wrong connection types but this one looks like it would work fine it has a hdmi port, so you can go displayport to hdmi. Might work well with the Thrustmaster Pack.

Only 68 dollars each.

http://www.amazon.com/Tontec%C2%AE-Resolution-Raspberry-Rearview-Headrest/dp/B00OOJPAGW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1428514369&sr=8-6&keywords=7+inch+lcd

What do you think? I am thinking of just getting an ASUS 19.5 Touchscreen instead as it would work for FSX undocked panels, and DCS and other things.

edit: hmm as a bonus they would make great screens for Rasberry Pi's, decisions , decisions.

Edited by Chromius

The Lilliputs were always to much for me but recently these in car lcd displays are getting a lot cheaper. There are a lot with the wrong connection types but this one looks like it would work fine it has a hdmi port, so you can go displayport to hdmi. Might work well with the Thrustmaster Pack.

Only 68 dollars each.

http://www.amazon.com/Tontec%C2%AE-Resolution-Raspberry-Rearview-Headrest/dp/B00OOJPAGW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1428514369&sr=8-6&keywords=7+inch+lcd

What do you think? I am thinking of just getting an ASUS 19.5 Touchscreen instead as it would work for FSX undocked panels, and DCS and other things.

edit: hmm as a bonus they would make great screens for Rasberry Pi's, decisions , decisions.

16:9 7" is too small.

16:9 7" is too small.

It can also do 4:3 1024x600, the screen height is 5.8 minus the bezel it should still be bigger than 4.25 which is the MFD cutout size.

with 4:3 the resolution might be ok? That would be 800x600?

I may get one for a Pi, and see what the MFD exported to it looks like on it

Edited by Chromius

Pretty sure its mentiomed that a 16:9 screen with a 7" diagonal isnt big enough.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=70616

TBH I just decided to go with One display w 2 MFDs mounted, one cheap display is better than 2.$80-140 units.

Can prolly grab a low res small LCD from the thrust store for liek $15

was gojna use empty space for helio gauges but I dont run windowed mode anymore, so Im bout to buolt a bracket to hold the MFD bezels and that will clip to the screen.

I also plan to lower the resolution of the screen so the GOU doesnt have to render so many pixels, especially when about half will be covered up.

Edited by SkateZilla

• 11 months later...